Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #4276
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Call your Card company . A lot of people's card company are blocking Cards after using them at Kobo. I wonder if this because of Worldpay. In the many sales of Kobo I've never seen this happen like this.
I used PayPal with debit from my bank account, and as far as I can tell, nothing got blocked. I'm not familiar with Worldpay, but I did see it go through a URL with worldpay in it as part of the checkout process and I was wondering about that.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #4277
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
I used PayPal with debit from my bank account, and as far as I can tell, nothing got blocked. I'm not familiar with Worldpay, but I did see it go through a URL with worldpay in it as part of the checkout process and I was wondering about that.
They are blocking Credit Cards the first time it was World Pay and the card is fine but some people on here including me have their Card blocked from their Credit Card Company. Yes paying with PayPal works if your card is blocked but it's best to find out where it's blocked so you don't lose your card because the provider thinks it's being use fraudulently.

All my Kobo purchases posted on my Card so Kobo got paid. *phew* now if only my card worked.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #4278
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
My credit card company blocked my card and called me twice last year over Kobo purchases. This time, however, 27 small purchases went through without a hitch on the same card. But it would be so much simpler if Kobo just allowed us to purchase gift cards from their website. At Amazon everything is always so easy. Can't wait for the day Kobo no longer requires their customers to jump through hoops. But then maybe we wouldn't have all these delightful codes.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #4279
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Call your Card company . A lot of people's card company are blocking Cards after using them at Kobo. I wonder if this because of Worldpay. In the many sales of Kobo I've never seen this happen like this.
I think this might be a problem at Kobo. Cleared my payment info and when i try to re-enter it I get a message saying "We were unable to process your request at this time. Please try again."
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #4280
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I think this might be a problem at Kobo. Cleared my payment info and when i try to re-enter it I get a message saying "We were unable to process your request at this time. Please try again."
I got that too but later when I tried to buy something at another online retailer my card was declined then again at Amazon.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #4281
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Ouch. I thought *I* went crazy... 20 books for just under $20.
Including the individual books contained in bundles... 88 or 90 books. Some for work, some are reference books, and others just for my enjoyment. Including several two test out. The great thing about mega sales is you are willing to try out books by new authors, the first book in new series, to see if they're worth it. So it is potentially beneficial to kobo in the long run despite the savings as by the time you are ready to read the rest of the books there likely won't be another mega sale.
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #4282
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Looks like my shopping spree is now at an end. I get a "Oops! Something went wrong. Please review your payment information and try again." message each time I try to checkout.

I wonder if my CC has blocked the card or is that a problem at Kobo's end?
I had the same problem using the eGift card from Indigo/Chapters on kobo NZ & India. It works fine on US kobo though.
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #4283
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I got that too but later when I tried to buy something at another online retailer my card was declined then again at Amazon.
Will see if the problem resolves itself otherwise I'll give the CC company a call tomorrow. At the moment I can't enter any CC information at Kobo, not even an alternate card so I"m guessing it's their site having issues. Tried their customer support in live chat, but I've been passed onto the accounts department which, I assume, will take 12 hours or more to get back to me.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #4284
jaj
Enthusiast
jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kobo
Any info on what countries do have the new checkout? I know of Canada, New Zealand and South Africa. Others?
jaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #4285
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
I have just noticed that I havent received a single receipt email for any of the 13 books I've bought using the magic code. Is this the case for anyone else?

Why is Kobo so incredibly difficult to deal with? They arent even in the same universe as Amazon when it comes to customer service.
This morning I went to buy a book, but got distracted and clicked to buy before the code had been entered properly, so I was charged full price ($19.50NZ, so not a cheap book).
I immediately went onto Live Chat to try and get the purchase cancelled, but was told since I had already downloaded the book I couldnt have one. I had not downloaded the book. I hadnt even been into my library since purchasing it. The customer rep said at their end it was showing I had downloaded it.
I had to take screen shots of the book in my purchase history and send them through. After much 'discussion' Kobo have very reluctantly agreed to refund my money - in 5-8 days. WTF, they can take it instantly but not return it? Amazon can refund within a few hours, but Kobo cant.
Meanwhile, the book is still showing in my purchase history but has been locked so I cant download it and Kobo wont remove it until I have received my refund. I cant buy it again with the coupon because the system says I already have it.

There are some serious glitches in the system and I'm a bit nervous as to whats going to happen.
One glitch is the code itself, but theres also a glitch in that Kobo is seeing our accounts differently at their end to what we see at our end.
And then there is the lack of email receipt/confirmation.

I cant help thinking in the very near future, all these books that have been bought with the coupon are going to disappear from our libraries and a lot of us are going to find ourselves in a pickle.

Last edited by Chapter One; 11-05-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #4286
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What country supports the new checkout but also allows a discount on Agency titles?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #4287
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What country supports the new checkout but also allows a discount on Agency titles?
New Zealand has the new site and accepts codes on most publishers.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #4288
Liber
Liber began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
I cant help thinking in the very near future, all these books that have been bought with the coupon are going to disappear from our libraries and a lot of us are going to find ourselves in a pickle.
I would be surprised if that happens. It would be too much work for Kobo. There are still several books in my library which were faulty in one way or another and on which I got a refund months ago. Kobo have not got around to deleting them.

My local checkout screen has reverted to the old one today, which I'm glad about, as it doesn't accept the 75% code. Yesterday, the only day the new checkout and big discount were available to me, I bought three titles. I would have been tempted to buy more today but I don't need any more books right now. I already have more than enough to read and even paying only 25% of the sticker price, I am still spending more on books than I usually do. Kobo are probably taking in lots of money - another reason for them not to reverse customer purchases.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #4289
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
I have just noticed that I havent received a single receipt email for any of the 13 books I've bought using the magic code. Is this the case for anyone else?
Yes, if you read back the last few pages you'll see that nobody using the new checkout is getting Kobo receipt's. Someone contacted Kobo CS and they acknowledged they were aware of the problem, but that was all.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #4290
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
I find it hilarious that with all the glitches and issues they are having right now, I get an email today about the launch of "kobo kids". Maybe get the regular site right first!
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals