Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Extending the life of your battery aka angle connectors

My last five year old laptop battery still runs for 30 minutes. I seldom used it while on the battery. I would drag the AC adapter everywhere reasonably possible. Much better than my previous laptop.

So what does this have to do with the Vox?

I poke about on eBay and I see various micro USB right angle adapter cables. Thus greatly increasing it's battery life.

However not all of the relevant items for sale use the word 'right'. So when searching I'd suggest using 'angle micro usb -"usb a" ' without the single quotes but with the double quotes.

This will allow you to more comfortably, in my opinion, hold the Vox while it's plugged in. You will want to carefully scrutinize the bottom of the Vox and, for the $2 or $6, purchase one of each direction. Depending on where your AC adapter is currently located and who knows for the future.

For example this particular item has really nice photos of the end so you can easily see if it will suit your current configuration. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-2-0-Right...-/290634701891 However you don't want to purchase that particular item as it has the "standard" USB A connector at the other end.

You might also want to purchase an micro USB extension cable of 3' or so as this is a common complaint. A complaint of mine too.

HOWEVER, it is possible that the angle adapters and/or micro USB extension cables might drop the 5 VDC enough that the Vox will no longer see a charger. Unlikely but possible. Low voltages are surprisingly tricky in this area compared to the 120/240 VAC we're used to.

So instead of a micro USB extension cable you might want to pick up an el cheapo 120 VAC 2 prong extension cord for the other side of the Vox charger.

Later: The best I could find that had one of each direction were the following $6 adapters. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/short-micro-u...-/320793428350 and http://www.ebay.ca/itm/short-micro-u...-/320793428348 If you can see others then please post.

There were also some up and down adapters at various sites that might suit your particular circumstance better.

Last edited by TonyToews; 11-19-2011 at 04:33 AM.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
jubi
jubi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Thanks, useful stuff indeed. I'll be making a 'multi-use' cable with right-angle micro usb on one end and some sort of 2 prong connector on the other end(have all kinds in my stash) that can be fitted to any 5v 2a charger(any will work). The aim would be to use with a car charger or longer cord wall charger

[IMG][http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...b_new.svg/IMG]

Pin Name Cable color Description
1 VBUS Red +5 V
2 D− White Data −
3 D+ Green Data +
4 ID None Permits distinction of A plug from B plug
* A plug: connected to Signal ground
* B plug: not connected
5 GND Black Signal ground
jubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
That's a great idea. I've been reading in landscape with the Vox plugged in but prefer portrait. Just didn't like that annoying connection in my groin. But isn't the Vox a micro USB B, not A or do I have them mixed up?
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbrich View Post
But isn't the Vox a micro USB B, not A or do I have them mixed up?
I wasn't aware that there was a micro USB A or B. Ahh, according to Wiki there is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Mi...cro_connectors Sheesh, if you don't like a standard just go and create another one.

And now that I closely look at the links I posted I do see they mention micro B. It looks like the Vox is a Micro B if you look at the diagram down a ways.

Note to lurkers. Make up your own mind. And don't blame me if it doesn't work.

Later: The official spec page http://www.kobobooks.com/kobovox_tech only states "Micro USB" with no A or B.

Last edited by TonyToews; 11-19-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
TonyToews
Evangelist

In thinking about my particular situation I frequently switch between landscape and portrait depending on the web site(s). I'm a bit of a news junkie and will read various websites starting with Google news and then visiting others later such as the National Post or BBC.

Also my AC adapter is about 6" forward of the natural position of the Vox when I use it. So I'm thinking I'm going to get the micro USB connector that is the up/down that goes straight back when I hold the Vox.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
And wouldn't you know it? My Sony Tablet has a micro USB A!!
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Do you mean something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Micro..._sim_sbs_pc_31
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Not sure if you're replying to me or to wilbrich but yes, that item is the right idea. However that link doesn't show you enough detail to know if it is pointed left or right for your favourite Vox reading position. And it doesn't state if it's USB micro A or B.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:11 AM   #9
TonyToews
Evangelist

I suddenly thought of swivel connectors which I thought was a brilliant idea. (I'm modest too.) However the only Micro USB B swivel connectors have a full sized USB connector at the other side. Oh well.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:49 AM   #10
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Why does it have to be an angle connector? I'm super confused.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
TonyToews
Evangelist

If you are resting the Vox on your body and you have the Vox plugged in, then, when held vertical, the power cable has a twist in it and there is sideways stress on the connector within the Vox. But using some kind of angled connector any stress is straight up and down and it's somewhat more comfortable resting it on your body.

I've seen enough things over the decades that I prefer to minimize any such twisting stresses especially for the few dollars these cost on eBay or similar. Especially compared to retail at $30 or $40 which means I'd never buy such.

Last edited by TonyToews; 11-20-2011 at 09:50 PM.