Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Powering off BUT Sleeping Instead! What the...?

I swear this has happened to me before, but it happened 3 times today, so I am now certain it's not me!!! I power on the Vox, play with it for a 1/2 hour or whatever. Then I decide to do something else and opt to power down the Vox to save the battery (so I hold the power button down longer, it offers 3 options - I choose Power Off, and then it asks me to confirm and I click OK. Power goes off).

Fast foward several hours later, and I go to turn it on - and it acts as though it's been asleep - screen flicks on right away and gets me to 'unlock' (rather than the whole start-up routine that takes a couple of minutes). And then, lo and behold - I see a drained battery: the thing has been sleeping all day - not powered off. I was going to read it tonight, but now I am charging it instead.

WHAT is going on here? Am I losing my mind?! Tell me this has happened to someone else!!!!!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
This hasn't happened to me but I am appalled at how fast the battery drains in sleep mode. If I leave home with this on sleep mode it is dead as a doornail at the end of the day, even if I don't turn it on once! How useless is that?
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I've noticed this occurs more with certain programs running and apparently trying to turn on wifi depute the 'auto sync data in background' being disabled. The INQ apps and the Globe app are always running even after I force-stop the apps. Deleting or freezing them (removing the executable flag) may fix the battery life. I went for twelve hours in standby, wifi off, and didn't lose more than maybe 5%.
Haesslich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
Michael Sherman
Michael Sherman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Haesslich

This has happened to me numerous times. Something is waking the device and then it slips back into sleep mode and the battery drains off as you have mentioned. What are the INQ apps about?
Michael Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Pokee - where are you leaving your Vox when it is off? Is it in a cover? We are finding that the device is fairly easy to accidentally turn on because of how little effort is required to activate the power switch (eg - some are turning on while in the original box in transit from the factory). We are looking at increasing the hold time to power on. If you are keeping your Vox in somewhere where the power button could accidentally be activated, this may be what you are experiencing.

Marcy - please confirm that your wifi settings are such that wifi is turned off while sleeping. If they are not set this way, then the battery will drain quite quickly.

INQ apps are Facebook widgets that bring elements of your Facebook experienvce to your homescreen.

James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
profbisson
profbisson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
That has happened to me too and found that if I do not turn off WiFi or put it into Airplane mode, it will keep waking up during the night. So, turn off the WiFi before shutting it down. Also, remember that there is another dialog box that is slow coming up asking if you really want to shut it off. Many times, I've shut it off only to find in the morning that the dialog box is still on asking me if I want to shut if off. Kobo staff - please speed up dialog box or remove it - if I'm shutting it off, I want to shut it off and not have to wait for an "OK" box to shut it off.
profbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by profbisson View Post
That has happened to me too and found that if I do not turn off WiFi or put it into Airplane mode, it will keep waking up during the night. So, turn off the WiFi before shutting it down. Also, remember that there is another dialog box that is slow coming up asking if you really want to shut it off. Many times, I've shut it off only to find in the morning that the dialog box is still on asking me if I want to shut if off. Kobo staff - please speed up dialog box or remove it - if I'm shutting it off, I want to shut it off and not have to wait for an "OK" box to shut it off.
I've seen that too - when I turn on my screen, but don't swipe to unlock, the screen goes dark before the confirmation dialoag appears. So I assume it's off but it's only sleeping. And I agree, once I've selected Power Off I don't need the confirmation dialog. It's not a destructive operation.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
Pokee - where are you leaving your Vox when it is off? Is it in a cover? We are finding that the device is fairly easy to accidentally turn on because of how little effort is required to activate the power switch (eg - some are turning on while in the original box in transit from the factory). We are looking at increasing the hold time to power on. If you are keeping your Vox in somewhere where the power button could accidentally be activated, this may be what you are experiencing.

Marcy - please confirm that your wifi settings are such that wifi is turned off while sleeping. If they are not set this way, then the battery will drain quite quickly.

INQ apps are Facebook widgets that bring elements of your Facebook experienvce to your homescreen.

James
It is sitting on a shelf. No chance of the button being pressed accidentally...
Old 11-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by profbisson View Post
Nope - I've selected 'OK' from the dialogue box to make sure it shuts down.

I haven't tried turning off WiFi - but maybe I will next time to test it out.

I had some issues with turning it on this morning after this fiasco yesterday, so I am getting nervous that my battery is screwed...
Old 11-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post

James
I have my WiFi off. It's the first thing I did when I noticed the abyssmal battery life. The Kobo is so slow for browsing it wasn't worth keeping it on.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I have my WiFi off. It's the first thing I did when I noticed the abyssmal battery life. The Kobo is so slow for browsing it wasn't worth keeping it on.
Yeah...but now I am wondering if not having access to wifi caused a corruption with my kobobooks apps...can no longer load my kobo library, bookstore or reading life...so maybe having it turned off isn't so safe...?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I turn my WiFI off routinely and haven't had a problem yet, but who really knows .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #13
Marcy
Guru

I use Aldiko for reading so don't need the wi-fi.