Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-20-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
OneNote as annotator

Microsoft has decided to make OneNote free and available on all major platforms (I guess they think Linux is minor).
More here

For those who like to take extensive notes when reading this should be welcome news unless you purchased it a few days ago.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Microsoft has decided to make OneNote free and available on all major platforms.
Note that you'll need an Microsoft e-mail account to use this software; it uses Microsoft OneDrive by default. It's not possible to use it offline.

EDIT: OneDrive 2013 does support non-Microsoft e-mail addresses.

Last edited by Doitsu; 03-20-2014 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Corrected e-mail requirements
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
I already have onenote 2007 on my windows pc. Can I download onenote 2013 and keep my version of 2007.... so that I don't lose 2007 notes??
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Note that you'll need a Microsoft e-mail account to use this software, since it uses Microsoft OneDrive by default. It's not possible to use it offline.
That's not exactly true. I have local notebooks.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
That's not exactly true. I have local notebooks.
You can have local notebooks, but since OneNote 2013 won't start unless you log in with a Microsoft Account, you won't be able to access them.
Advert
Old 03-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Yep. Am using it on my Mac. Tried to use it without logging in, and nope.

Can't print from it either.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
You can have local notebooks, but since OneNote 2013 won't start unless you log in with a Microsoft Account, you won't be able to access them.
You log in with a Microsoft account, but you don't need a Microsoft email account e.g. It works with a gmail account.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesey View Post
You log in with a Microsoft account, but you don't need a Microsoft email account e.g. It works with a gmail account.
I've just double-checked this and found out the OneNote 2013 does indeed support non-Microsoft e-mail addresses.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I've just double-checked this and found out the OneNote 2013 does indeed support non-Microsoft e-mail addresses.
Yep, it took my non-Microcrappy eMail address. But true to Microcrappy's name, it doesn't work without an internet connection. I wouldn't mind so much if you could only sinc between devices when connected, but to totally lock you out of your data is why Microcrappy needs to die a horrible corporate death. I think they only released OneNote for free because they are getting ready to offer their Office suite on iPad and other platforms, and they will charge for those. It is bait to get us interested. Well I was interested until I realized how utterly useless this product is without an internet connection. Didn't Microcrappy attempt this cloud only crap back in the late 1990s and discover that we told them HELL no?!?
Old 03-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
After I installed, the software synced all my notebooks on OneDrive so I now have access to all my notebooks independently of device. I could work with my notebooks on my tablet on the beach when u was off the grid and then when I returned home it automatically synced with the cloud and all changes were immediately available on my other devices. It works for me.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Didn't Microcrappy attempt this cloud only crap back in the late 1990s and discover that we told them HELL no?!?
I think Microsoft (and others) are strongly hoping that with the rise in tablets, the cloud will become accepted for all things. It'll just be us Luddites who still have desktop/laptops who want to have our software installed.

I'll be honest, but the stress on all these little one-note apps is really harking back to the days of Windows 3.1 to me....
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:39 AM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Downloaded to my computer but it seems sorta crippled. A glorified shopping list maker in 235MB (mac, dunno how big or small the PC version is). I've deleted it until I hear its better than using native mac apps.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Hard to beat free. In OSX I do like $5 Growly Notes (used to be free). Most people recommend Circus Ponies Notebook but now you're talking $30 (varies but what I see priced in iTunes just now). Then you've got some even MORE expensive options such as Curio, DevonThink, and others.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
As someone who has used the full Office version for years and years, I find OneNote indispensable when planning a project or when needing to take notes during a meeting or call. Yes, this version requires an email account (any will do), and apparently requires you to be online. That is NOT true of the full, paid version that I use. I can have local notebooks, LAN notebooks, or cloud notebooks. (And my OneDrive syncs to my local PC anyway.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:37 PM   #15
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yep, it took my non-Microcrappy eMail address. But true to Microcrappy's name, it doesn't work without an internet connection. I wouldn't mind so much if you could only sinc between devices when connected, but to totally lock you out of your data is why Microcrappy needs to die a horrible corporate death. I think they only released OneNote for free because they are getting ready to offer their Office suite on iPad and other platforms, and they will charge for those. It is bait to get us interested. Well I was interested until I realized how utterly useless this product is without an internet connection. Didn't Microcrappy attempt this cloud only crap back in the late 1990s and discover that we told them HELL no?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
As someone who has used the full Office version for years and years, I find OneNote indispensable when planning a project or when needing to take notes during a meeting or call. Yes, this version requires an email account (any will do), and apparently requires you to be online. That is NOT true of the full, paid version that I use. I can have local notebooks, LAN notebooks, or cloud notebooks. (And my OneDrive syncs to my local PC anyway.)
You guys had me scared for a minute, but I just tested it. Offline works fine for me, just like 2010 did. Cloud notebooks sync up when you go back online.

I've been nervous about MS' intentions both for subscriptions and clouds for a long time, but I'm thrilled with how they're treating OneNote so far. I'm still testing 2013 out on my W8 tablet before I replace 2010 on my desktop, but so far, I see no reason not to upgrade.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote