Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
denmarks
Enthusiast
denmarks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Concerning $30 cover

I have been looking at the ads for the cover for the Sony reader and it indicates that it is leather. I purchased one when I bought the reader and it looked so cheap it could have been plastic. I returned it. Is the Sony cover actually leather?

As a follow up - is there a good quality zippered leather case that is a reasonable price and is the exact size as the PRS-300?
denmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "standard" cover is not leather; the "premium" cover is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
I'm confused. The SonyStyle web site shows a "Premium Cover Touch Edition" for $29.95, model PRSA-SC6.
I just bought a PRSA-SC6 from BestBuy, same price, but the box says its a "Standard Cover". It looks, feels, and smells like leather.
I have the impression - not just from HarryT's post - that Sony is marketing different accessories in the US and Europe. Other posts have mentioned the premium cover as having a striped lining, and that it is possibly made by Porporta.
If that is so, it explains some of my confusion about premium vs. standard cover material, but it doesn't explain the lack of consistency in labeling the covers sold in the US.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
At least for the 505, there were different covers released in US versus UK. The US standard cover was more like pleather and the premium cover was closer if not actual leather. I have not seen the premium cover they are selling for the 600.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:26 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the standard cover for the 600 (the one sold in the UK). It looks like leather, but it's not.
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 04:04 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have the standard cover for the 600 (the one sold in the UK). It looks like leather, but it's not.
I think I need to correct myself here. On closer examination, I believe it IS leather. It certainly smells like leather.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Picked up an Easy-i flip cover for my 505 a couple of months ago for about thirty bucks. It looks, feels and smells like soft, supple black leather to me, though there are no exposed edges to let you know more or less for sure. Doesn't really bother me, though. This thing allows me to hold the device more comfortably, is perfect for standing the book up to read when your hands are occupied -- while you eat or knit a woolly jumper or whatever -- and, all in all, has made my e-reading experience even more enjoyable. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
Ellis
Ellis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think I need to correct myself here. On closer examination, I believe it IS leather. It certainly smells like leather.
Waterstones advertise two covers:

Black Folio Case for Sony Reader Touch (PRS-600) described as "Leather material" £29.99

Premium Black Leather Case described as "Real Black leather" £34.99

Is "leather material" real leather in the world of advertising? I don't know?
I presume yours is the Black Folio Case. Would you recommend it?

Last edited by Ellis; 10-11-2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: panic
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote