Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-16-2023, 07:21 PM   #1
spetey
spetey began at the beginning.

Device: cross-platform
scary installation method for linux

First, let me say I am so grateful for Calibre! Thank you all for your work developing and supporting it.

I came to the forum because the installation method for linux makes me really nervous, and I can't imagine I'm the only one. Copy and paste a terminal command that downloads a bash script off the web and runs it sudo?! Um ... I'm no security expert, and maybe I'm naive to think AppImage or package managers are somehow more secure, but that just does not sound like a generally good policy.

Is there any talk of getting it into Ubuntu repos or anything like that?

Thanks in advance for thoughts.
spetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 10:00 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre is available in all repos but use the official binaries if you want support. A distribution version of any software is almost always strictly worse than the official version, since its the ofifcial version plus random patches added by people of lets say, very varying competence.

There is nothing scary about running bash scripts from the internet. And you dont need to run it under sudo if you dont want to, it supports an isolated mode as well.

And just for the record, the installer is a python script, not a bash script, its just wrapped in a bash script to find the right python binary to run the actual installer with.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2023, 04:38 AM   #3
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
For what it's worth, there's a flatpak available on flathub. It's always trailing behind for a few days. If that's acceptable to you, here's the link:
https://flathub.org/de/apps/com.calibre_ebook.calibre
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 05:04 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Flatpack is more problems than the script from Kovodgoyal
If you don't trust his script, why trust Calibre?
If you trust Calibre, then trust the script. Same person.

Flatpacks also update without asking for a password/sudo. I've replaced all but one now with either proper deb packages or direct installs.

A flatpack is extra complexity, a 3rd party and less secure updating.

There is nothing more scary about the terminal script than a obfuscated GUI install. Steam, Viber (by Rakuten than owns Kobo) and Brother's print/scanner drivers all offer terminal scripts for install. So does WINE, Thunderbird, Waterfox etc. It's not inherently less secure or scary than downloading a Windows msi file to desktop and double clicking. For decades the only way to install was in a console.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-17-2023 at 05:09 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 10:10 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
But only use the official script on the download page. There are MILLIONS OF CALIBRE USERS. https://calibre-ebook.com/dynamic/calibre-usage in the last 60 days. I think if there was scary, we would hear .

If you are worried about issues, check here (MR) before updating.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2023, 02:14 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spetey View Post
First, let me say I am so grateful for Calibre! Thank you all for your work developing and supporting it.

I came to the forum because the installation method for linux makes me really nervous, and I can't imagine I'm the only one. Copy and paste a terminal command that downloads a bash script off the web and runs it sudo?! Um ... I'm no security expert, and maybe I'm naive to think AppImage or package managers are somehow more secure, but that just does not sound like a generally good policy.

Is there any talk of getting it into Ubuntu repos or anything like that?

Thanks in advance for thoughts.
That's why you should use Windows. Nothing scary about it. It just works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 05:47 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just bloody stop.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:09 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Really, Jon? Those posts I see from Windows users who are having issues are a figment of my imagination?

And, David, stop responding to the troll.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-17-2023 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Added advice to meself!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:49 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The number of Linux users with calibre related problems is disproportionate to their number by a country mile… ditto the other four multi-platform products I use.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 09:46 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The number of Linux users with calibre related problems is disproportionate to their number by a country mile… ditto the other four multi-platform products I use.
Anyone in possession of a moiety of their mind will admit quite a few programs have more issues on Linux proportionate to the number of users than the same programs on MacOS or Windows when using the GUI. This does not lead me to conclude that Windows or MacOS never have issues. Anyone who has participated in any of the Windows Beta or Preview programs knows that all too well.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 11:16 AM   #11
spetey
spetey began at the beginning.

Device: cross-platform
I sure didn't mean to start a Windows-Linux fight.

I am grateful for the thoughts. I mean, I am of course consoled by the fact that it is both open-source and widely-used, and that if I were a better coder I could check the script myself. (FWIW, I asked Claude's AI to look it over and, with many a disclaimer, it said there thatwere no security red flags.)

I guess I'm just paranoid enough to wonder - not specifically about kovidgoyal, mind you, but about anyone in such a position - whether they might not be tempted someday to abuse such trust once it's been built, to turn a handsome profit with ransomware or whatever. Meanwhile I'll back up and/or encrypt my stuff as securely as I can, and then trust-but-verify.

Thanks again, sincerely, by the amazing app - in general this kind of open-source software just restores my faith in humanity, despite the appearance of deep skepticism here.
spetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 12:23 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by spetey View Post

I guess I'm just paranoid enough to wonder - not specifically about kovidgoyal, mind you, but about anyone in such a position - whether they might not be tempted someday to abuse such trust once it's been built, to turn a handsome profit with ransomware or whatever. Meanwhile I'll back up and/or encrypt my stuff as securely as I can, and then trust-but-verify.
You run Linux.
The ransomware folk go after Windows users because there are so many, that even a 1% return on (code and deploy) effort is HUGE.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 01:36 PM   #13
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I'm using the Calibre that comes with my distribution (MX, based on Debian.) I guess I got lucky and avoided all those incompetent developers.-) I have used the official binaries in the past, also without problems. spetey, if you use the packages in your distro comfortably, you can use Kovid's binaries equally comfortably.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 04:40 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I'm using the Calibre that comes with my distribution (MX, based on Debian.) I guess I got lucky and avoided all those incompetent developers.-) I have used the official binaries in the past, also without problems. spetey, if you use the packages in your distro comfortably, you can use Kovid's binaries equally comfortably.
You are best to use calibre from the official site and not from any repository. There are more problems from repositories then the official site.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 01:31 PM   #15
OregaNooo
OregaNooo began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
> Copy and paste a terminal command that downloads a bash script off the web and runs it sudo?! Um ...

Well, I guess that's a good point. I didn't know what I was doing and took that risk since the repos were out of date and flathub was problematic.

Hope that doesn't get hacked or anything. Or pressured to put a back door on your machine.

Maybe run it in a vm?
OregaNooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, linux