Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-02-2021, 01:44 PM   #1
TomTW
TomTW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Kindle keyboard screen gone weird after screen replacement

Hello,
Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my kindle screen?
I dropped my kindle, the screen cracked, so I ordered a replacement and installed it at the weekend.
Since turning it on after the screen replacement I can only see my kindle menus in the top right of the screen. The bottom right is just grey and never changes and there is a bar on the left which was the display when I unboxed the replacement screen.
Has anyone come across this before?
Is the replacement screen the problem.
I tried to attach a photo to this post however I am not sure if that worked.
Many thanks in advance.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle screen jpg.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	185715  
TomTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:55 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Cracked substrate and/or damaged/badly seated flex cable.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-02-2021 at 04:21 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2021, 02:33 PM   #3
TomTW
TomTW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Cracked substrate or damaged/badly seated flex cable.
Hi There NiLuJe,
Thanks for your speedy response. I’m not very technical when it comes to the kindle so I’m don’t completely understand your answer.
So is the substrate a layer of the screen? So the replacement screen could be damaged?
And what does the flex cable connect to? Is that the cable that goes from the screen into the board?
Many thanks
Tom
TomTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:23 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not the flex cable. It's the screen that's broken.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:36 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not the flex cable. It's the screen that's broken.
Prove it.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2021, 04:20 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTW View Post
Hi There NiLuJe,
Thanks for your speedy response. I’m not very technical when it comes to the kindle so I’m don’t completely understand your answer.
So is the substrate a layer of the screen? So the replacement screen could be damaged?
And what does the flex cable connect to? Is that the cable that goes from the screen into the board?
Many thanks
Tom
That's the TFT substrate, which, yeah, is roughly one of the lowest layers of the screen, and happens to be a thin glass pane on most eInk screens.

And the flex cable I'm talking about is indeed the screen's ;o).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote