Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-30-2020, 09:23 PM   #1
kindledude20
kindledude20 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
Where do I rest my thumb when reading on a Kindle? The bezel?

Hello,

Sorry in advance for the asinine question but am brand new to ebook readers and just received my kindle paper white 3 a few days ago.

I absolutely love this thing. In a brightly lit room I turn the lighting feature to the lowest setting, and in an absolutely pitch black bedroom at night I can set it at 25% and it’s totally fine.

Anyhow, I’m wondering where to rest my thumb when reading? Ideally I’d love to be able to place my thumb anywhere on the “page” just like how I would when reading any real paperback book, but obviously on the kindle resting my thumb on the words brings up the Wikipedia/dictionary feature or highlights more than a few words.

I wouldn’t mind if there was like a lock setting but still letting me ‘turn’ the page when the time comes.

Maybe I’m missing something here but am really grad this forum exists.

Thanks all!
kindledude20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:42 PM   #2
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
I don't have the PW but find having a protective cover that opens like a book more comfortable-like reading a regular book with my e-readers.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2020, 10:55 PM   #3
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
First you have to lose 100 pounds or chop off half your thumb so it fits on the paperwhite bezel. Well, sarcasm aside, your thumb goes on the bezel, hanging off the outside, three fingers behind the paperwhite, pinky under the bottom. Watch out for the on off button positioned just where your pinky wants to rest.

A case helps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:46 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Iirc, there’s a disable touchscreen option on Kindles. With this, you’d need to use swipe to turn pages.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:19 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Iirc, there’s a disable touchscreen option on Kindles. With this, you’d need to use swipe to turn pages.
Yes, and then you have to press power twice to get touch back.

I don’t use a cover, it makes it too heavy. I don’t rest thumb on bezel, it just floats off to side ready to tap. This is when sitting in a chair with Kindle horizontal to floor, with fingers underneath supporting center of gravity. Hand remains relaxed, not ‘gripping’. I don’t read when horizontal, I sleep.

At least with this technique (everybody’s hands are different), they could get rid of the bezel entirely and either have a smaller device or larger screen in same size case.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2020, 08:09 AM   #6
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
(right-handed) I put the bottom right corner against my palm I then put my thumb along the right bezel and the fingers on the back.

(left-handed) I sometimes put the bottom left corner against my palm then I put my thumb along the bottom bezel and the fingers on the back.

If you look at the picture on the basic Kindle https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Now-wi.../dp/B07DPMXZZ7 that is how I hold my Kindle, Kobo etc.

One final way, I don't like living fingerprints on the bezel of my PW4, and so I hold it with my fingers on the left edge and my thumb on the right edge like so:
https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/jce...indle-2019.jpg

It is not a stupid question imo, we all go through this problem because the devices are not ergonomically designed (excepting the premium Kindles and Kobos). I had no problem holding my Kindle 3 nor my Nook STR for extended periods of time and comfortable ways to hold them were intuitive. Kindle 4 on they became much harder to hold.

Finally if none of that works for you, try using a popsocket.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
kindledude20

Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post
I don't have the PW but find having a protective cover that opens like a book more comfortable-like reading a regular book with my e-readers.
I did fail to mention that I do have the Kindle black leather bound case that opens and closes like a book. I dig the on/off feature when opening and closing the cover.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #8
kindledude20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
First you have to lose 100 pounds or chop off half your thumb so it fits on the paperwhite bezel. Well, sarcasm aside, your thumb goes on the bezel, hanging off the outside, three fingers behind the paperwhite, pinky under the bottom. Watch out for the on off button positioned just where your pinky wants to rest.

A case helps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This made me laugh. Lol.

Admittedly what you described is pretty much exactly how I’ve been holding it for the past few days since I’ve owned it.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:00 PM   #9
kindledude20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I think this is the specific feature I’m hoping for. How would I go about turning it on?
Old 07-31-2020, 12:01 PM   #10
kindledude20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, and then you have to press power twice to get touch back.

I don’t use a cover, it makes it too heavy. I don’t rest thumb on bezel, it just floats off to side ready to tap. This is when sitting in a chair with Kindle horizontal to floor, with fingers underneath supporting center of gravity. Hand remains relaxed, not ‘gripping’. I don’t read when horizontal, I sleep.

At least with this technique (everybody’s hands are different), they could get rid of the bezel entirely and either have a smaller device or larger screen in same size case.
I totally hear you on having a case-less kindle and boy do I enjoy how light it is, but I also fear dropping it and messing up the screen.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:22 PM   #11
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I'm a naked Kindle reader. I don't use a cover or case (I'm talking about for the Kindle, not for me!) I like the device to be small and light. For transport, I use a small neoprene carry bag (a larger bag being required for myself).

I'm a two-hander for reading. Hold in left hand, turn pages with right hand. In the left hand, thumb is on one side of reader, fingers 3,4,5 on the other side, and index finger lightly resting on the back. I figure I have two hands, why not use them both?

There is no one-handed hold of a Kindle that feels secure to me. It always feels like I'm on the ragged edge of dropping the thing when trying to turn the page. Very awkward.

I sometimes do a one-handed hold when reading in bed since if I drop it, it will hit the soft mattress (possibly after bouncing off my belly on the way down).

Some day, they'll probably have optical tracking on these things. When you want to turn the page, you just look to the side of the screen for 500 ms and bingo, the page turns. Light intensity will be adjustable by squinting or opening your eyes up wide. When you go to sleep, your closed eyes will shut the thing off. A bonus - as you start to fall asleep and your eyes begin closing, that is like the squint maneuver, and the display intensity will start to go down. So as not to interrupt you on your way to sleep. Just don't let the dog sleep in bed with you, because they could really mess up your current location and settings while inspecting the device.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:13 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Here’s how I hold both my kindle and kobo. The kindle is a bit easier with its larger bezels. I tap with my thumb to turn the page.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-31-2020 at 04:17 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote