Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #1
clatterjill
clatterjill began at the beginning.

Device: none
most stable version?

I know nothing about code or most of the terms this site uses.

so please forgive in advance if my question is an eye-rolling one.

a few years ago I was able to figure out how to use sigil to create an ebook. the ebook had problems but I edited them in calibre and it all worked.

that was sigil version 0.7.3

I need to create more ebooks now. Should I download a newer version of sigil--or stay with the old? If you think I should download a new version, which do you suggest would be the most stable?

thank you in advance!
clatterjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Use what works for you.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What Diap said.
Note that there are some improvements/features that you may be missing (or not) out on.

There were some issues with some 9.x versions. Those should not be used (there are warnings on the RELEASE page)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:38 AM   #4
clatterjill
clatterjill began at the beginning.

thank you both...soooo much!
clatterjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:30 AM   #5
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
The most stable version is 0.3.4.
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroni View Post
The most stable version is 0.3.4.
The program itself may have been stable, but HTMLTidy could also wreck an epub's content in a heartbeat if you weren't careful.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Both Sigil-0.9.10 and Sigil-0.9.14 should both be very stable (should not ever crash) and both of these versions have fixed many many bugs that the early Sigil version pre-0.7, 0.7 and even 0.8 suffered from.

I would recommend either of these two versions.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me, the biggest changes since 0.7.? times is the arrival of Sigil plugins, there are about 50 of them, I only use a few but they're invaluable. Another major change since then is support for EPUB 3.0.

Added: Sigil has always been stable for me - the only it crash was caused by an ancient and abandoned Windows shell extension, which I've since been able to replace. And I can only recall one regression error that caused me any grief

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-20-2019 at 06:20 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:50 AM   #9
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
but HTMLTidy could also wreck an epub's content in a heartbeat if you weren't careful.
Before TagMechanic that was a feature: change the start tag with a replace-all and let Tidy do the rest
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

"Let Tidy do the rest" may have sounded like a feature to you, but I can assure you that those very same words struck terror into the souls of many others. The missing content, the added inline styles--ack! what a mess that could be.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-21-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
"Let Tidy do the rest" may have sounded like a feature to you, but I can assure you that those very same words struck terror into the souls of many others. The missing content, the added inline styles--ack! what a mess that could be.
Amen!
It would mangle/chew up/destroy stylesheets with device specific section (@AMZ...)

I think I managed to crash the 0.9.x releases ONCE.

I used to crash earlier levels pretty regular like if I did not avoid certain sequence of steps.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote