Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Reader Store in the UK "this spring"

After updating to the latest firmware (probably unrelated) I tried the Reader Store button on my T1.

To my surprise, the T1 no longer complains about incorrect SSL certificates and instead it loads a web page that says the store will be opening "this spring".

When they get an actual date they say they will send an email to anyone who has registered their UK model T1 at www.sony.co.uk.

Fingers crossed...
chrisridd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
That's progress at least. I know the delay is frustrating for those of you in the UK. Thanks for sharing!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
This is taking longer than the Second Coming of Christ. It had better be worth the wait, and not a mess like the WH Smith & Waterstones stores.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
gari189
Connoisseur
gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Elonex 621eb, PRS-T1, HP Touchpad
Thanks for posting Chris - seems a big jump from opening in Dec and now its spring....
gari189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gari189 View Post
Thanks for posting Chris - seems a big jump from opening in Dec and now its spring....
Wasn't it meant to be open before December?

I'm wondering when Sony think the end of spring is
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
gari189
Connoisseur
gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.

Seen the message now. Interesting that they mention 100 free ebooks when registering your Sony ereader. Never got mine and when I queried it with Sony this was their response.......

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

I understand you have registered your Sony PRS-T1 and would like to enquire about the 100 free e-books.

Unfortunately the free e-books are not compatible with your Reader, however you can download the same titles for free from the Google e-book website. I have included a link below to this website.

http://books.google.co.uk/ebooks

Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Incompatible format? yeah right......

Not too bothered about the books but its kind of typical of Sony's level of support for the T1........

Last edited by gari189; 01-28-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: ?
Old 01-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Seen the message now. Interesting that they mention 100 free ebooks when registering your Sony ereader. Never got mine and when I queried it with Sony this was their response.......
These are almost certainly just books from Project Gutenberg. Good, but not exactly hard for Sony to give away for free.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
These are almost certainly just books from Project Gutenberg. Good, but not exactly hard for Sony to give away for free.
When I bought my 505, Sony had a promotion for 100 free ebooks in the US. They indeed were all public domain books. You can find the exact same books here on MobileRead, most likely better formatted with fewer errors and sometimes illustrated!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
richyhu
Enthusiast
richyhu is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue), PRS-700, PRS-T1 (Black)
Quote:
I registered my T1 on the Sony UK support site and then in the "My Products" section there is a link to download the books as 2 zip files.
richyhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
gari189
Connoisseur

Thanks for that - I got my T1 on Oct and they weren't there - must have added it since then.....
Old 01-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool

" Reader Store in the UK "this spring" "

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:49 AM   #12
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
" Reader Store in the UK "this spring" "

Now now, it could happen!

Stranger things have happened already - including Sony releasing several firmware updates for the T1.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #13
Blackadder
Somewhat bored
Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blackadder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo hd
Spring they say......
This comes from the company that on it's website mentions that you can get books from WH Smiths, referred to as a 'partnership eBookstore', that links through to Kobo which one would have thought is in fact a rival
Blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote