Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Most stable FW: 2.0.4

This is it! do not experiment more, do not waste time cursing the Ukranian programmers!!

They will not help here, and stick to 2.0.4!

Any thoughts?
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
It'll be nicer to us, but as long as it doesn't seriously affect my usage and I usually just read epubs on fbreader I rather update and try and locate some bugs in hopes some future version will be as good as 2.0.4 while being more advanced.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
Yemeth
Yemeth began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 602
After reading the PB subforums (english and german) before even getting my PB 602 I decided not even try to upgrade the firmware .

Think I have version 2.0.3 on my device.

Even though some errors are more than embarrasing (buggy and laughable battery life indicator) I will only upgrade once I read some positive things on Mobilereads. BTW, thanks to everyone reporting back here it really helps a lot.

Last edited by Yemeth; 04-11-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Yemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemeth View Post
After reading the PB subforums (english and german) before even getting my PB 602 I decided not even try to upgrade the firmware .

Think I have version 2.0.3 on my device.

Even though some errors are more than embarrasing (buggy and laughable battery life indicator) I will only upgrade once I read some positive things on Mobilereads. BTW, thanks to everyone reporting back here it really helps a lot.
Go for 2.0.4 it's lots better than 2.0.3 and nearly bugfree.
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
Bonex
Connoisseur
Bonex began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive
Any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Go for 2.0.4 it's lots better than 2.0.3 and nearly bugfree.

I think it's with 2.0.4 that they screwed us with the expiration of the licenses for the dictionaries, so, if anybody need them, they either need to find dictionaries somewhere else or just stay with 2.0.3 (and no, returning back to 2.0.3 after trying .4 doesn't give you back the dictionaries).
I do really wish I never installed it

the changes they made in recent firmwares were laughable anyway.

EDIT: sorry, it was 2.0.5 that caused the expiration.

Last edited by Bonex; 04-13-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Bonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
No, the 2.04 firmware did keep all the dictionaries. They expired only after updating to 2.05 or 2.06.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
Bonex
Connoisseur
Bonex began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
No, the 2.04 firmware did keep all the dictionaries. They expired only after updating to 2.05 or 2.06.
Oh, sorry I was wrong!
I'll edit my post.
Bonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
As far as this dictionary issue goes, PB has definitely handled it badly. However, as the dictionaries were trial versions, PB didn't have the right to have them work indefinitely on the readers. If they weren't already under legal pressure from the dictionary owners, then they probably would soon be if they didn't work towards expiring the commercial dictionaries they distributed. It sucks, but we don't have any legal right to keep those dictionaries working forever.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quite right, would have been nice to be informed about it, all we were told was we get x number of dictionaries, there was no mention that some are trial.
I'm sure there are people who bought the devices and were strongly influenced by having an available dictionary in their language.
Simply removing all mention of the dictionaries from the product page, does not fix the situation for existing customers.

Edit: Just for keeping track that bit is still on the Israel website and for those wondering it said right below the bit about the mp3 player (which they claim is suitable for audio-books.... sure if you care to memorize where you stoped) it used to say:

"ABBYY Lingvo Dictionaries
PocketBook Pro 602 comes with ABBY Lingvo dictionaries installed. BookLand.net offers 44 additional dictionaries available for purchase."

Last edited by J.C.; 04-14-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
as far as I could understand, on the Russian forum there is riot over the dictionaries (well, not just over the dictionaries actually ), with PB pointing out that they haven't misled anyone, and users pointing out the relevant webpage with the promise of dictionaries, and the gist seems to be that PB wont' move - I think rkomar describes the situation perfectly!

p.s.
again from the Russian forum, (message by "Housekeeper" posted Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:56 pm) apparently the developers' priorities are provision of a bookshelf (library management) for the new models, release of the SDK and FW for the 302 - the browser will have to wait.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:29 AM   #11
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
Just one idle thought: Which 2.0.4? Because my Pro 903 was delivered with a 2.0.4 which differed from the one later offered for download. Version number collissions are bad.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:25 AM   #12
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
LoneTech is right. There are at least 2 versions of 2.0.4 and it's hard not to mix 'em up. Luckily (in this case) the differences between the two versions are very small.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:36 AM   #13
askanioff
askanioff began at the beginning.

Device: Pockebook 603
Then this is the only and last pocketbook device I'll ever purchase.

I bought it instead any other brand because of the dictionaries.

Stick to 2.0.4
askanioff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:19 AM   #14
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Then, it is a bug that the dictionaries in 2.04 are functioning!?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:48 AM   #15
J.C.
Addict

1) A limited trial should give every user the same chance and shouldn't depend on firmware update, recent buyers that upgraded were robbed compared to older customers.

2) They knew in advance if they bought limited license or obtained trial versions of the dictionaries.

Conclusion: End users were purposefully misled.