Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 12-25-2022, 11:19 AM   #1
Jay Humphrey
Jay Humphrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Question Calibre in Microsoft store???

Hello there, sorry to arrive like this with what looks like worrying news, especially today. I just found someone going by the nick of "Benedictink" is selling a version of Calilbre for €4.99 on the Microsoft Store.
Seeing as the same person also sells their version of Amazon's free Kindle app (or at least using its characteristic logo) in the same place and for the same price, I suspect skullduggery. Have reported to Microsoft of course.

Merry festivities nonetheless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	198587  

Last edited by Jay Humphrey; 12-25-2022 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Added screen shot
Jay Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:46 PM   #2
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
It's a ripoff/scam. Also saw for sale "calibre companion", calibre tutorial, calibre documents provider, tutorial for calibre and calibre user manual.

Also see 'moon reader pro' for sale; a scam on 'moon+reader pro' for the android. I got the moon+reader pro as I have installed the WSA (windows subsystem android); acutally the ereader app is my reason for installing WSA & moon+reader does not show up in the windows app version of the Amazon app store.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:53 PM   #3
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
It's a ripoff/scam.
How is it a scam? Selling software is one of GPL freedoms.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 02:10 PM   #4
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
How is it a scam? Selling software is one of GPL freedoms.
Trademark violation.

Even though the software is available for use, I expect that the Calibre trademark, including the name and logo, is not available to be used as this is the property of @kovidgoyal, or whatever Foundation owns the trademark.

To redistribute, the Calibre software would need to be rebranded and repackaged.

Although, I believe most people would agree that it would be bad form to grab someone elses work and pass it off as your own, without ever contributing to the improvement of the original work.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote