Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
JenniH
JenniH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite & Nook
Transmit current page to web server

When I'm reading pdfs on my paperwhite I tend to need to write notes at the same time on a different device. I would like to create a webapp to enable me to do this, one feature being that the app always knows where I am in the document. I figure that what is required is for the kindle to routinely post the current page no to a web server. Please forgive any naivety in this question - I haven't fully understood the scope of what is currently possible with jailbroken kindles - but does this sound possible, either through the native reading app or a third party hacked app?
Jenni
JenniH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Only image type PDF's have a constant page number.

You could use the "annotate" function of the Kindle, and then send the annotation file off-kindle. It should have (machine readable) location information.
Which is probably not what you need (byte offsets).

OOPS -
Just noticed your info box says: "Kindle DX" (and I presume 2.5.8 firmware) - -
All you have is the "Bookmark" feature (which gives a location not a page number).

The firmware allows you to add a note when you view your "clippings".

Those files could be sent off Kindle for elaboration on another machine.
But there would still be a problem with the back reference being a location in the document rather than a page number (which will change with the font size and orientation).

Last edited by knc1; 04-11-2013 at 06:02 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
php