Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Dvalin21
Zealot
Dvalin21 began at the beginning.

Device: VS Gtablet/Zenithink/GS II T-Mobile
Onda-VX797HD, Possible Ebook Reader

I saw this today and I notice it said it was a video/ebook reader. Just wondering if anyone has used this or know of a review somewhere? Thanks

http://www.ownta.com/onda-vx797hd-mp...v-out-8gb.html
Dvalin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
bryanzs
Zealot
bryanzs doesn't litterbryanzs doesn't litter

Device: Nook HD+, Nook ST Glow, PocketBook 360, Nook Color
I've seen this device (and many others like it) on the web as well, and was tempted too.

Unfortunately, I just had a bad experience with an imported device (the Delstar OpenBook reader) that's just like this device - manufactured overseas, lots of PMP functionality, beautiful hardware - but software that didn't do what was promised (ie, read ebooks). The only saving grace about the Delstar was that I had 30 days to return it - and I did. And it had that 30 day warranty because it was sold by Walgreens, and they took the risk of importing and supporting it.

Anything that's imported directly, like the Onda, isn't going to have that safety net, so IMO it'll be quite a gamble. If the software doesn't perform as promised, for what you need (again, as was the problem with the Delstar), who can guarantee that any updates will ever be made?

If you're willing to (perhaps) consider this a "throw-away" device, or you think you'd be happy with it as a media player if it doesn't properly read ebooks, or if you're willing to "take one for the team" and buy it as an evaluation unit - then that would be great. I know I would love to see a review of the device too...

Just my $0.02...
bryanzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
I'm not sure about the 797, but I own the 545 and wouldn't use it as a reader. Firstly I don't think it handles many formats. And secondly updating these things may brick it.

I just use mine to watch TV shows and films.

I'm sure there will be sellers of these in the US (there are a couple in the UK) so you should be able to sort out a decent seller over there.

Last edited by M0zza; 03-22-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: damn keyboard
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I have the 797 and it is not a good ereader. If you want more info you might take a look over at the forums on MP4Nation.net. I love it for video, and the radio though.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote