Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
h0bbes
h0bbes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-350
Question Battery life - maintenance

Hi everyone, I purchased the PRS-300 recently and have been transferring ebooks to the reader almost daily. As the 300 does not have a memory card, there's no other way to transfer ebooks besides connecting the reader to my PC. However, this will invariably charge the reader even when the battery is almost full.

I'm curious to know if this constant charging will reduce the battery life of the reader. In addition, is it better to let the reader's battery charge to 100% every time it is connected to the PC, or is it ok to disconnect right after I finish transferring the ebooks?

Thanks in advance!
h0bbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Doesn't matter either way. Lithium ion batteries, such as the Sony uses, do not mind small "top-ups".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
FrayAdjacent
FrayAdjacent doesn't litterFrayAdjacent doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Just be sure to exercise the battery. Let it drain pretty low about once a month, then fully charge it.

A lot of 'top-offs' won't detract from it's life. The opposite is not true - Lithium based batteries do NOT like to be left discharged.
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:46 AM   #4
h0bbes
h0bbes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-350
Thanks, Harry and FrayAdjacent! I'm relieved to know that I haven't been shortening my reader's battery lifespan.
h0bbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent View Post
Just be sure to exercise the battery. Let it drain pretty low about once a month, then fully charge it.
I beg to differ. This was necessary with older battery technologies; it is not necessary with Lithion Ion batteries.

There is a need to do a couple of full discharge cycles with the Reader, yes, but that's to correctly calibrate the battery gauge, and has nothing to do with the "health" of the battery.
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I beg to differ. This was necessary with older battery technologies; it is not necessary with Lithion Ion batteries.

There is a need to do a couple of full discharge cycles with the Reader, yes, but that's to correctly calibrate the battery gauge, and has nothing to do with the "health" of the battery.
I agree. In fact, draining it to far and not charge it up quick enough could even damage li-ion batteries.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
TGNY
Enthusiast
TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-600
Curious, How would one swap the battery out? can it be done without sending it in somewhere?
TGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The battery on Sony Readers is not user replaceable, as it is on many other devices. It has to be done by a Sony service centre.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Tony Hoyle
Enthusiast
Tony Hoyle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
I shouldnt matter - you'll get at least 2-3 years life out of it anyway. By then better ebook readers will be out and it'll probably be better to replace the device entirely.
Tony Hoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The battery on Sony Readers is not user replaceable, as it is on many other devices. It has to be done by a Sony service centre.
It's perfectly doable by a person who's not afraid of using a screwdriver. And by the time it's necessary you don't need to worry about the warranty.

Last edited by igorsk; 11-09-2009 at 08:11 AM. Reason: typo
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:38 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry, igorsk, I meant that like, for example, an iPod, the Sony does not officially have a user-replaceable battery. You are of course absolutely correct in saying that it can be done by those with reasonable skills in such things (which rules me out").