Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-28-2005, 05:35 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Mobipocket Reader V5.0 Beta released

Although Mobipocket Reader V4.9 was only released last week, there's already a beta of the forthcoming V5.0 available for download. New features include library management, various new book display options, new toolbar icon customization, enhanced annotations, hardware button mapping, and most importantly better VGA support.

What worries me a bit is that according to their changelog, the Hardware PID is now supposed to be resistant to hard resets. How does that work? Are they changing some part of the underlying ROM? I'd be happy if someone could answer this.

Palm users can also download the new beta from here and there's even an alpha version available for Blackberry devices.

Thanks to gmc for the tip!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:19 AM   #2
gmc
Reader
gmc began at the beginning.

Device: X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Although Mobipocket V4.9 was only released last week, there's already a beta of the forthcoming V5.0 available for download. New features include library management, various new book display options, new toolbar icon customization, enhanced annotations, hardware button mapping, and most importantly better VGA support.
Thanks to gmc for the tip!
The kudos does to Pocket PC Thoughts where I read it first.
Cheers, Greg
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2005, 09:50 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
What, to me, is the encouraging thing here is that they are working on the eBook reader portion of the software. The various 4.x updates hardly touched any issues with the library or the eBook reader component. They merely dealt with the news and other components; portions of the software I never use.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:56 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig
The various 4.x updates hardly touched any issues with the library or the eBook reader component.
Exactly. I uninstalled Mobipocket Reader half a year ago and never looked back. Since then, for reading DRM-protected works, I've been using eReader or a combination of .LIT + ConvertLIT, for the rest iSilo and Plucker.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
jlariviere
jlariviere began at the beginning.

Location: Rocklin, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Galaxy, Universe
Device: Onyx Boox Note 10.3 (want), Kindle Oasis (have)
I just hope it will be a free upgrade... I just purchased the Pro version (Memory card management should be free anyway...), and I don't want to have to pay for a new version unless it is really spectacular!
Jeremie
jlariviere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Even if there is an upgrade fee, I suspect for those who just bought the Pro version the upgrade will be free. At least that is what I would expect from a decent company.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:44 AM   #7
cheshire
Fence Sitter
cheshire began at the beginning.

Device: Asus P525
It does look encouraging, because it was such a long (too long in my opinion) wait between v4.8 and v4.9; I almost thought that they had stopped development on the Reader.

I think what "hardware resistant PID" means is a PID based on the hash code of the Pocket PC (similar to Microsoft's activation scheme), so that even if you hard-reset your PPC, you won't have to key in your new PID and re-download the DRMed ebook.
cheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:17 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshire
I think what "hardware resistant PID" means is a PID based on the hash code of the Pocket PC (similar to Microsoft's activation scheme), so that even if you hard-reset your PPC, you won't have to key in your new PID and re-download the DRMed ebook.
Ahh that makes sense and would indeed be better than having to recalculate the PID each time new.