Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
asis
asis began at the beginning.

Device: none
If I register will it update firmware?

If I register my kindle, will it update my firmware automatically. I have a refurbished kindle touch on 5.1.1 firmware.

I already have read how to hack this firmware and think it would be easier to just use the collections manager and put a reginfo file on my kindle and never use wifi (is reginfo a txt file).

Alternatively I could hack it and then use the backdoorlock hack to keep it from being updated while registering.

Thoughts/advice?
asis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
You have pretty much already answered your own question, but here it goes for completeness:

1. Yes, your Kindle will try to update its firmware if it's registered and connected via Wifi.
2. To get a fully-functional Kindle which simply does not auto-update, register it and use the BackDoorLock hack.
3. Of course, if you always keep the Kindle in Airplane mode, it also won't update, because it can't download the updates. The obvious downside is that you also won't be able to use the Kindle store or browser.
4. If you fake-register the device (yes, the registration essentially is a text file), it'll work like a normal one. But once you go online, the registration info will be removed and the device will turn back into an unregistered one.
5. If you don't register it at all, you will lose some functionality (like manipulating collections using the official UI, and I believe also things like setting device passcode etc.)
6. Collections Manager works independently of the device's registration status.

So, points 2.-5. are more or less "in decreasing order of usability/usefulness".

My suggestion is to install the BackDoorLock, then register the device. You may still want to keep the device offline most of the time if you're concerned about battery life and/or privacy, but that's your decision.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
Steve8x8
Steve8x8 began at the beginning.

Device: PW
The fastest way, if you're in a hurry, might be to create a "update.bin.tmp.partial" directory via USB mass storage (removing any partial file that's already there). Nobody has proven that it would be enough (in particular over reboots), but it can happily live next to other measures (like BackDoorLockHack).
A full update is more than 150MB in size, so if your internet connection is slow your odds are good that it will take a while to fetch an upgrade.
Installing the JB and stuff only requires a USB connection, that is, if you don't enable (or explicitly disable) WiFi you should have plenty of time to prepare your Kindle not to fetch any upgrades.
Steve8x8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
asis
asis began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks guys, I thought that as soon as I connected to amazon to register that my device would be updated ...seems there is actually some delay which gives time to prepare.

Also I thought that if I tried to register a hacked kindle that amzon would recognise it and lock-it or something.

I think I will either create the text file or us backdoorlock hack. I want to hack it first ...so I'll do that now.

Thanks again!
asis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by asis View Post
Thanks guys, I thought that as soon as I connected to amazon to register that my device would be updated ...seems there is actually some delay which gives time to prepare.
It generally takes weeks for Amazon to roll out updates over wi-fi to Kindles, and it seems that they always seem to miss a few anyway. I've always had to update mine manually, I think I received an over-the-air update only once, with all the Kindles I've owned throughout the years.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
I had my Paperwhite online a couple days ago to download some games (which turned out to be crap) and before the games came down, I got updated from 5.3.3 to 5.3.8.
It took a while, but I think I've got it back to where it was, only it's running much faster. I used to have a noticeable delay in Mahjong and Sudoko between when I touched a tile or number and when the PW responded. Now, it's running the way I always thought it should.
(something about clouds and silver linings)
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote