Notices

Old 02-19-2017, 11:47 PM   #1
apoiata
Enthusiast
apoiata began at the beginning.

Device: none
Color code and snippets.

Hi,

It's not easy to find open and close tags in big html-files.
1. Is it possible to use any plugin to color code as in popular Notepad++?
2. Can I use any snippets as in Dreamweaver to copy code templates?

May be there is a tool where all features are already implemented.

P.S. I am not sure where I can post a question about the process of publishing eBook such as a list of recommended software (paid and free), how to upload and sell the book, how to advertise. I would like to see step by step description.
apoiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:03 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Strange, the code is color coded in my installation afak. I can't check it right now, but I am fairly positive about that.

You can create snippets that can insert code at your cursor positions. I do not know if there is a size limit on the snippet, there probably is. I do not know Dreamwever, so I can't comment on their method.

A question about the process of upload/sell/advertise a book does belong more in the Workshop part of the forum I think.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:11 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoiata View Post
Hi,

It's not easy to find open and close tags in big html-files.
1. Is it possible to use any plugin to color code as in popular Notepad++?
2. Can I use any snippets as in Dreamweaver to copy code templates?

May be there is a tool where all features are already implemented.

P.S. I am not sure where I can post a question about the process of publishing eBook such as a list of recommended software (paid and free), how to upload and sell the book, how to advertise. I would like to see step by step description.
You can set colours in Edit->Preferences->Appearance->CSS / Code View:->Item colours. Given Sigil targets a single very specific file type, IMO there's no justification for something as extensive as NP++'s style configuration tool.

Tools->Clip Editor probably does something similar to Dreamweaver's snippets.

Spend a few minutes stepping though the menu's, and acquaint yourself with various context menu's, they have a lot of useful functionality.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
apoiata
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You can set colours in Edit->Preferences->Appearance->CSS / Code View:->Item colours. Given Sigil targets a single very specific file type, IMO there's no justification for something as extensive as NP++'s style configuration tool.
What about html tags? Color coding is working only for CSS.

Tools->Clip Editor probably does something similar to Dreamweaver's snippets.
BR
Yes.

Color coding is working only for CSS. What about html tags?

There is also a good feature in Notepad++. You can select text and indent automatically.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Yes.

Color coding is working only for CSS. What about html tags?

There is also a good feature in Notepad++. You can select text and indent automatically.
No, it is for both CSS and XHTML. If your tags are not color coded, something else is wrong.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There is definitely a problem of some kind if your html and attributes are not color-coded. Have you tried resetting the preferences to their default settings? Do you have any screenshots of this non-color-coded html?

Quote:
You can select text and indent automatically.
In Sigil you use Prettify to indent your html. If you have precise indentation and spacing requirements, you're free to continue using Notepad++ to edit your html. You're free to use any html editor you like, in fact. Just right-click and select "Open With" to configure an external (x)html editor. Sigil's editor works as it was intended to. We're not going to reinvent the wheel with a full-fledged code editor when existing full-fledged code editors can already be used.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-20-2017 at 05:22 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #7
apoiata
Enthusiast

Quote:
Spend a few minutes stepping though the menu's, and acquaint yourself with various context menu's, they have a lot of useful functionality.
BR
It will useful to have User Guide for new version. I didn't find any information in old guide about these features.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
apoiata
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There is definitely a problem of some kind if your html and attributes are not color-coded.
I apologize, it is color coded.

Quote:
In Sigil you use Prettify to indent your html. If you have precise indentation and spacing requirements, you're free to continue using Notepad++ to edit your html. You're free to use any html editor you like, in fact. Just right-click and select "Open With" to configure an external (x)html editor. Sigil's editor works as it was intended to.
I found that I can "indent and fix problem" (Prettify and Mend) or just mend. What about only Prettify? Let say I want to fix problems by myself but need some help to organize the code.
Second, Is it possible to open the code with external editor and close it without saving somewhere on drive and import to Sigil? I mean to use external editor as embedded editor.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It will useful to have User Guide for new version. I didn't find any information in old guide about these features.
You must be looking at a very, very old guide, maybe from a decrepit Linux suppository repository

The Downloading Sigil sticky at the top of this forum has a link to the one I have (0.7.2), I've attached some screen shots from it for the Clips Editor and Preferences->Appearances

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	155230   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	155231   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	155232   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	155233   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	155234  

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-22-2017 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Adding Sigil Codeview screenshot
Old 02-22-2017, 08:43 PM   #10
apoiata
Enthusiast

Quote:
The Downloading Sigil sticky at the top of this forum has a link to the one I have (0.7.2)
BR
I apologize one more time. It is indeed in the guide. I take a more closer look at second part of manual.

Anyway, the version of software is 0.9.7 but User Guide version is for 0.7.2
Old 02-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I found that I can "indent and fix problem" (Prettify and Mend) or just mend. What about only Prettify? Let say I want to fix problems by myself but need some help to organize the code.
No. "Mend" makes the least intrusive changes to code. "Mend and Prettify" is more extensive. There is no Prettify-only because the code must first be correct (Mend) before Prettify can be trusted to do its work.

Quote:
Second, Is it possible to open the code with external editor and close it without saving somewhere on drive and import to Sigil? I mean to use external editor as embedded editor.
Yes. That is exactly what the "Open With" feature is intended to accomplish. If you mean "embedded" as in "replaces Sigil's existing Code View", then no. It's not that integrated. But changes made/saved in the external editor will be immediately reflected in Sigil's Preview/Book View. There's no need to save somewhere else and re-import. It wouldn't be a very handy feature at all if you had to go through that kind of trouble.

Just right-click on an xhtml file in the Book Browser and select Open With to configure Notepad++ as an external editor and see what I mean. You'll only have to do it once. Thereafter. Notepad++ will be an option on the Open With submenu (when you right-click an xhtml file).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-22-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:52 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Anyway, the version of software is 0.9.7 but User Guide version is for 0.7.2
Other than Plugins and a handful of menu items specific to EPUB3, you'll find there's very few things from v0.9.7 missing from the v0.7.2 manual.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:54 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

If you were to do a forum search for 'User Guide' you would find this thread close to the top of the list Ψ²

BR
Old 02-22-2017, 09:40 PM   #14
apoiata
Enthusiast

Quote:
You'll only have to do it once. Thereafter. Notepad++ will be an option on the Open With submenu (when you right-click an xhtml file).
Excellent.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:44 PM   #15
apoiata
Enthusiast

Quote:
If you were to do a forum search for 'User Guide' you would find this thread close to the top of the list Ψ²

BR
I would like to help but unfortunately English is my second language if not third.