Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #121
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Super... Beginning to think the Moko is the only one that has a metal content in the back cover...
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #122
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
Super... Beginning to think the Moko is the only one that has a metal content in the back cover...
All sleepcovers have an on/off magnet in the lower right corner (when closed). This magnet is not used to hold the cover closed, so it can be very weak. The reader only needs to detect the magnetic field as a signal to turn off.

On some covers, this magnet is so strong that the Kindle will actually detect it when you fold the cover backward, and turn itself off, "thinking" that you closed the cover.

I've seen a few on Amazon that had this complaint against them in the reviews; probably your Moko cover (or a rebrand) was among them.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #123
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
I looked at 'em all--seems like thousands of covers--and ended up going for a Fintie at Amazon.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #124
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
I looked at 'em all--seems like thousands of covers--and ended up going for a Fintie at Amazon.
That's a another version (another rebrand) of the cover I've been using for 8 months before switching to the Googleproduct Version 1 cover. It's a good cover, but at some point, the (p)leather will stretch and the Kindle will always be askew It started to bother me, so I switched to the snap-in cover.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #125
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
On some covers, this magnet is so strong that the Kindle will actually detect it when you fold the cover backward, and turn itself off, "thinking" that you closed the cover.

I've seen a few on Amazon that had this complaint against them in the reviews; probably your Moko cover (or a rebrand) was among them.
Its nothing to do with on/off though... This is an empty case and there is still attraction between magnetic closure and the rear of the case... In fact use of a free magnet proves the whole rear to be paramagnetic (not magnetic itself but attracted to one)

I'm looking for a magnetically transparent rear :-) got a few possibilities to explore now.

Last edited by hunnymonster; 10-02-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #126
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
FYI- I purchased the case from googleproducts (my third case purchase from them in a year) and it arrived damaged in transit and unusable . After emailing them through ebay, they responded within 24 hours, were very apologetic and are expedited shipping me a new one immediately . It appears their customer service is as good as Amazon! They seem to be VERY reputable.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #127
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
I did also (after reading this post a few weeks back). Been very happy with it - got the Navy color.
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #128
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpars View Post
I did also (after reading this post a few weeks back). Been very happy with it - got the Navy color.
I thought a color might be distracting, so I got the black. My better half got the navy; it is not distracting at all and looks very classy. I'm trying to work out a trade but my better half isn't going for it.

The quality isn't super--for example, the cutout isn't square--but it's adequate, and for $10 it's hard to complain.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #129
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Currently in the process of tarting up a bit one of the plain cheapo ebay covers... will let you know how it turns out - for the record, I can't draw so it makes it rather challenging for me but as I've decided to go for a cave painting style based on the "black deer" from Lascaux , I think I'm so far doing better than anticipated
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #130
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Currently in the process of tarting up a bit one of the plain cheapo ebay covers... will let you know how it turns out - for the record, I can't draw so it makes it rather challenging for me but as I've decided to go for a cave painting style based on the "black deer" from Lascaux , I think I'm so far doing better than anticipated
Nice! Post a pic when you are done!
My lila one now has a few more smudges on it, so I was also thinking of drawing a spiral/floral design on it in gold, to make it look like a very old book. May as well, now that it has the smudges on it. I would not recomend to anyone to get one of the lighter colors of this case.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #131
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
For the record: the two covers I ordered on Sep 10 still have not arrived. Weird mails were sent to me by masamall, the vendor, and until further notice I would advise everyone to avoid that vendor. I am waiting for the official final date, on October 11, to file a complaint.

Regarding those ultra slim covers, I confirm xendula's observation: they smudge very easily, and my purple one is definitely stained on the back part too now - just from setting it a second on a table in a coffee shop.

Last edited by aceflor; 10-05-2013 at 01:24 PM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #132
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Nice! Post a pic when you are done!
Not quite finished, but here's a quick & dirty pic of where I'm at so far...

Quote:
My lila one now has a few more smudges on it, so I was also thinking of drawing a spiral/floral design on it in gold, to make it look like a very old book. May as well, now that it has the smudges on it.
Might as well then

Edit: that's the actual cave painting from Lascaux:

Mine somehow manages to be fatter and lacks the dynamics from the original but hey-ho I did say I couldn't draw didn't I? Still, it's "based on"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover 1.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	112841  

Last edited by Yolina; 10-05-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #133
hunnymonster
Zealot

There's me got a wirelessly chargeable Kindle Paperwhite then... Simple addition of a generic QI receiver (USB fitting so no case opening or other futtering about and it is quickly reversible)

Downside : no longer have free access to the USB for sideloading of books or firmware upgrades.

Upside : wireless charging (what's not to like)

Cost $11 for the QI receiver and $4 for a case that doesn't block the 'charging waves' (the $4 case is a proof of concept one - I shall look into a better one soon)
Old 10-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #134
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Why would you want this? With a phone that needs to charge every other night (or more often), I can see the use for it, but the KPW only needs to be recharged every 2-4 weeks, depending on use and front-light settings.

I just plug it into the wall socket for a night, somewhere during that time. I've never once seen the "You are low on battery" warning since I have the device
Old 10-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #135
hunnymonster
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Why would you want this? With a phone that needs to charge every other night (or more often), I can see the use for it, but the KPW only needs to be recharged every 2-4 weeks, depending on use and front-light settings.

I just plug it into the wall socket for a night, somewhere during that time. I've never once seen the "You are low on battery" warning since I have the device
Because I did away with having a USB charger on my bedside table some time ago... Phone does wireless charge, tablet does wireless charge,... Now the Kindle does and I don't have to think about looking for the USB charger.

I must be using my Kindle (and phone) wrong because they both need rejuicing every 2-3 days (but I do read rather a lot on the Kindle (light rarely above 4) and rarely touch the phone)

Mostly though because I can