Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #16
mike998
Exasperated Kobo Lover
mike998 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
I've noticed another issue. My Vox's display will turn itself on, intermittently, for a couple of seconds and then turn itself off. The wife's Vox does the same.

This could be related to the battery issue.
mike998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike998 View Post
I've noticed another issue. My Vox's display will turn itself on, intermittently, for a couple of seconds and then turn itself off. The wife's Vox does the same.

This could be related to the battery issue.
This is definitely related to the sleep of death issue.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #18
Darnielle
Enthusiast
Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kobo Vox
Updated, thanks everyone!
Darnielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #19
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
This is definitely related to the sleep of death issue.
I respectfully disagree. I was noticing this problem long before I got any sleep of death issues.

I only started getting the sleep of death issues when I installed the Vox beta. Turning on the WiFi during sleep mode mostly solved those.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #20
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
There are 2 sleep issues, as noted elsewhere: one where the Vox will not wake from sleep (the "sleep of death"), and the issue of the Vox waking up for a few seconds periodically while sleeping.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #21
mike998
Exasperated Kobo Lover
mike998 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
I respectfully disagree. I was noticing this problem long before I got any sleep of death issues.

I only started getting the sleep of death issues when I installed the Vox beta. Turning on the WiFi during sleep mode mostly solved those.
The waking from sleep happens whether the Wi-Fi is on or off. I agree that this does not seem to be related to the sleep of death issue. That is also an issue that occours whether the Wi-Fi is active or not.

I'm tempted to think that these issues are related to the Reading Life software as it's the only common software active between the wife and I's Vox units. I've used jefftheworld's how-tos to remove all the packages he noted as being safe to remove from my Vox, while the wife's remains stock, other than being rooted.

Last edited by mike998; 12-12-2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Clarity
mike998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #22
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike998 View Post
The waking from sleep happens whether the Wi-Fi is on or off. I agree that this does not seem to be related to the sleep of death issue. That is also an issue that occours whether the Wi-Fi is active or not.
Yeah while it's not related, my sleep of death also occurs shortly after the wake hence freezing it on.. and draining the battery. Sometimes not even on all the way just the three bottom keys and the entire unit is unresponsive until I hard boot it.

So although they may not be related for me.. it's either not wake or freeze after waking.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #23
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Okay, I'll quote myself from another thread:

"I've noticed that about 5 or 10 minutes after I put my vox to sleep, it briefly wakes up. Once that happens, it is DOA and needs to be hard reset. The last time it did this, I unlocked it as it was briefly awake. There was an exclamation mark in the status bar with the message "SD Card Unexpectedly Removed". Of course, nothing worked at that point and it needed a hard reset. Is the internal sd card getting unmounted at some point in the sleep process? "

So in my experience with wifi off, the wake-up is the trigger for the sleep death. I maintain the two issues are related.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:58 AM   #24
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast
ne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo Aura HD,Apple Ipad Mini,Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4,LG G4
Ok i think i have identified a bug. Its a common one but i have been able to replicate behavior and have a temporary solution.

The problem is when u connect Vox to pc and turn on usb for sdcard access. Well sometimes when u eject internal and external sdcard from pc using eject usb device, then click on turn off usb in Vox. Then Disconnect usb cable. There is an error and one or both sdcards become inaccessible. This results in the Vox being unable to read either drive.

Going into settings and unmounting then remounting sdcards will fix this. I find it useful to reboot afterwards just to be sure. Their is no error message that i can see that indicates a problem. The way i tell is the kobo ebook widget stops showing ebook covers. I have a rooted Vox with the beta update.
ne0rmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #25
Glenn56
Glenn56 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJason View Post
The bugs you've outlined are aligned with the top priority defects we're aiming to address in a software update before the holidays.
Jason
Product Manager for Vox
It's comforting to know you guys are "listening" - if my family can stay off the naughty list for another 12 days, there should be 3 Vox's coming down our chimney, and an update to resolve at least some of the current problems will make the gifts that much better.
Glenn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #26
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazou View Post
hello,
I have the 'Sleep Death'
After being in sleep mode for any length of time, the Vox refuses to wake up. A hard reset is required to bring the Vox out of this state. This happen everytime that I turn off the wifi and the vox goes to sleep.

my vox is rooted
I'm not rooted and get that.
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #27
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Recently I've been experiencing a new type of issue... It seems that the screen/buttons stop responding after sleep. It makes things seem frozen, but they aren't since the kobo books download is still happening.

I'm rooted, but just did a factory reset. I'm also in Canada.

After I shut down the kobo to try and revive the thing, it hung on the applications menu screen. I'm getting really frustrated with this thing I've tried doing numerous resets but this doesn't fix the issue, maybe I have a dud?

Last edited by danifunker; 12-12-2011 at 02:50 PM.
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #28
neXgen00
neXgen00 began at the beginning.

Device: KoBo Vox
I'm rooted (canada) and also have the sleep of death issue, and the wifi issues.
neXgen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #29
Graycee
Enthusiast
Graycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura aboutGraycee has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle (2014)
I had difficulty once with the Vox when the battery ran down while sleeping. When I recharged it for several hours, the Vox would not start. I did the thing with the volume key and the power button and it started.

My other issue is that my Vox screen randomly turns on while it's sleeping. It turns it off after a few seconds.
Graycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #30
BradenW
BradenW began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch; Kobo Vox
I have factory Vox (not rooted), and have all the OP issues, plus:

- Status bar application crashing then failing to start
- Kobo application (library) crashing then failing to start

Both occurred multiple times and seemed only to be fixed with a full system reset (P in the A to say the least).
BradenW is offline   Reply With Quote