Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #76
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter822 View Post
First, thank you Inigo for your answer. I made as you suggest, unzip rxvt (I don't know any other way how to install rxvt) in my mape Program (I made it) on SD card where I have already both base-dr-v2 and FBReader-0.10.7-dr-vr4 but I always receive the answer 'The desktop app. cannot be opened.Possible the app. is already open. Close it first and try again' when I click on the icon 'FBReader.desktop or rxvt.desktop' in my SD card.
Next day after I received my DR800S, I downloaded firmware 2 if it is important for you to know.

It looks you have similar problems with all programs you have installed: FBReader, rxvt...

I just released a small utility which could help us to discover the problem you have, RunDebug [1].

You will need to download and copy lua megapackage to your DR800 [2].
Then start RunDebug, selecting FBReader.desktop file in the first field and finally click on "execute" button.

Please, post the output here.

[1] https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83999
[2] https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79273
Iņigo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #77
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywitscher View Post
I don't want it to read like I am always complaining. I am very pleased with having FBReader available for my DR800SG. Some of it's features, like full rotation and the old style indicator, make it fun to use. Not to mention the extra filetype support. So, thanks a bunch for providing this.

That said, on my DR800SG, if I use the search function in FBR the system will freeze and I have to reboot the reader. I hope I'm not repeating a thread already discussed here (I did check this thread). Does this occur on all installations? If not does anyone have any suggestions how I can fix this?

TIA
No problem man!

I don't use FBReader much nowdays, but I've tested and observed something similar on my DR800S. I was going to write "..and observed a hung too...", but it doesn't look like that, because if I press the menu button it doesn't show the menu but it does a refresh in the screen somehow.

My assumption is that searching requires a lot CPU process, or maybe it raises a bug on the code which eats lots of CPU or mesh the screen refresh procedures.

Anyway, the results are the same, device becomes unresponsible.

Sadly, I don't have the time nor the knowledge about FBReader internals to investigate and fix the problem, sorry.

PS: in my tests, if I press the menu button many times and then press the flipbar, it closes FBReader, so I could return to the DR home screen.
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 04:33 AM   #78
walter822
happy reader
walter822 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, IrexDR800S, Pocketbook IQ/701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
It looks you have similar problems with all programs you have installed: FBReader, rxvt...

I just released a small utility which could help us to discover the problem you have, RunDebug [1].

You will need to download and copy lua megapackage to your DR800 [2].
Then start RunDebug, selecting FBReader.desktop file in the first field and finally click on "execute" button.

Please, post the output here.

[1] https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83999
[2] https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79273
Sorry, sorry for my late answer. Finally I installed Fbreader on my DR800S but the one I found elsewhere on your thread: FBReader-0.10.7-dr800-v2.tar.gz. Plus base-dr-v2. It is maybe a bit lazy or just stubborn but it works and I can read my non-drm mobybooks.
Thanks.
I have one more question: Can I update from this version to a new fbreader-version one day?
Walter
walter822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:25 AM   #79
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter822 View Post
Sorry, sorry for my late answer. Finally I installed Fbreader on my DR800S but the one I found elsewhere on your thread: FBReader-0.10.7-dr800-v2.tar.gz. Plus base-dr-v2. It is maybe a bit lazy or just stubborn but it works and I can read my non-drm mobybooks.
Thanks.
I have one more question: Can I update from this version to a new fbreader-version one day?
Walter
Remove directories and copy new ones. That's it.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #80
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
"Please wait ..." start dialog lasts 30 seconds :(

Hi, Iņigo,

I was very happy with your FBReader v4 for software 1.0, but since I upgraded to 2.0 RC2 I had to roll back to FBReader v2. Everything works fine, except one little thing: on the app start there appears "Please Wait ..." popup and the DR800 indicator blinks green. This goes for 30 seconds (counted ) and then the popup is gone and the blinking stops. There was no such behavior in v4.

I've managed to do a hack where no dialog and no blinking happens. The trick is trivial: add & in the end of FBReader launch command (= start application in a separate thread). Do not know how proper this would be for the end users though ..

fbreader.sh:
Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=...
exec /.../FBReader &
I've investigated the case. This behavior is standard when you launch shell scripts and not applications from .desktop files.

See #3 in this thread:
"In the 1.0 release, the dialog is removed as soon as a full screen window is opened, or after 30 seconds. ..... I believe this is reworked in the 2.0 release so that the dialog is removed as soon as the application has started."

Apparently the system does not know when FBReader v2 is fully loaded and it does know when v4 is. Sooo, can you please say what are the code differences between v2 and v4? Can you post the complete codes ready for compilation? This would help a lot in learning the tips and tricks.

I'm working on porting another application and I have the same "30 seconds wait", so your input will be very valuable.

huge thanks!
Dima

Last edited by dima_tr; 06-28-2010 at 02:04 PM.
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #81
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
The sysd-firmware component shows the dialog, it is removed when (retrieved from the published code):
- it receives the startup_completed message from the application
- it timeout after 30 seconds
- when the applciation stops (the script stops and fbreader is started in the background when you add the '&').

The big advantage of using startup-completed is that the program also shows up in the taskbar of the DR1000. So you can easily switch between that application and others. See helloworld for an example.

When I find time, after solving some pdf problems with xournal, I can add some code to FBReader to get it working like on the R1.7.1 (DR1000). Please remind me if I take too long
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #82
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
See helloworld for an example.
Mackx, thank you for tip, this helps indeed.

P.S. I've found your Blogspot, nice
Old 06-29-2010, 04:41 AM   #83
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
P.S. I've found your Blogspot, nice
Ahhhh, I am not really maintaining it at a regular interval. I mainly used it to get an 'organised' place to get some of my DR knowledge, so I could find it back easily. I now found another way, so I was not planning any updates... but now that it is discovered ... I might rethink that decision.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #84
Loo
Loo began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR 800
Hi Iņigo,
You know, in russian forums people try to figure out why hyphenation doesn't work for russian books, although it works fine for english ones. You put hyphenationPatterns.zip into _fbreader\share\zlibrary folder so I assume you tried to make it work. Could you please advise what could be an issue?
Just in case here are links to some text in russian:
http://fictionbook.ru/author/chehov_...wnload.fb2.zip
http://fictionbook.ru/author/chehov_.../download.epub

Thanks,
Loo

Last edited by Loo; 07-18-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #85
javifields
Enthusiast
javifields began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800S
Hola Iņigo, en las instrucciones de instalaciķn de FBReader-0.10.7-dr-v4 dices que debería quedar esto:

SD card
/Programs
_base (directory)
_config (directory)
_fbreader (directory)
FBReader.desktop (file)

pero yo no veo el directorio _config por ningún lado (no está en el fichero FBReader-0.10.7-dr-v4.tar.gz)

qué hago mal?

gracias!!!
javifields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #86
Mackx
Guru

Special DR1000 version

The DR1000 has an extra TaskBar, that allows easy switching between applications. The port of Iņigo sofar did not include the code to add FBReader to the taskbar. I posted a version some months ago and this is an update of that. I also post the changed code, so maybe Iņigo can merge both changes together? (@Iņigo: I noticed I found some different solutions for the same problems, I did not take your changes, but used my solution.) This version should fix the problem that FBReader was not always added to the TaskBar (for the DR1000).

If you have already installed an earlier version of FBReader then you might not want to overwrite the .FBReader folder. Note that the .FBReader folder is now located in Programs\_config, in my earlier ports it was in Programs\, so if you want your old settings make a copy of the folder.

To install unzip the FBReader file to your SD-card. You also need three files from the base package of Iņigo (fribidi, liblinebreak and libbz2), these should go in their normal location (Programs\_base\lib).

You can now restore your saved settings (if any). Put your .FBReader folder in Programs\_config\ overwiting the one of the zip-file.

This port is specific for the DR1000, since I can not test it on the DR800, it should run on the DR800 without problems. However, the width of the DR1000 is wider, I saw that Iņigo made a patch to Programs\_fbreader\share\FBReader\default\toolbar. xml, I added his version also to this post. So DR800 users that really want to use this port, should replace that file. Note that this port should be functionally equal to the port of Iņigo, so there would be no reason for DR800 owners to use this version.

The difference in size of the FBReader image can be explained by the way I build the FBReader specific libraries (static i.s.o. dynamic).

(Note that this version still has the same problems as all the previous ports.)

As always any comments are welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FBReader.0.10.7-dr.0.1.zip (1.41 MB, 354 views)
File Type: zip FBReader.0.10.7-dr.0.1-diff.zip (10.4 KB, 323 views)
File Type: zip toolbar.zip (538 Bytes, 340 views)
Old 07-27-2010, 04:45 AM   #87
dima_tr
Groupie

@Mackx: Hi, on DR800 when trying to launch the app twice (run, return to SD, run again) I get the same error as some time ago in StarDict "app is running, please close it first and then start again". Can you please compile the main binary with the changed line:

Code:
eripc_sysd_startup_complete(eripcClient, getpid(), FALSE, xid); // TRUE only when the app handles openFile and closeFile
This way FBReader will be unified for both DR1000 and DR800. Many thanks!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:13 AM   #88
Mackx
Guru

Sure, I will also experiment with the open/closeFile ipc-messages to see if they can be used to open the newly selected file.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #89
Mackx
Guru

Update for DR800 users

On request of dima_tr I changed the call to the startup_complete call.
Copy the FBReader that is in the zip file to Programs\_fbreader\bin\ to overwrite the old version.
When the desktop file is clicked again the existing FBReader document will be 'started' (brought to the front) again. Note that when clicking on another document that is linked to FBReader, a new instance of FBReader is started. DR1000 users will see this as a second FBReader-tab.

I still have to investigate the behaviour of the fileOpen/Close ipc-calls.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FBReader.0.10.7-dr.0.1.patch.zip (538.7 KB, 307 views)
Old 07-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #90
Mackx
Guru

How should FBReader react when:
1) the shortcut/desktop file is clicked after FBReader is already started?
2) A document linked to FBReader is clicked after FBReader is already started?

The reaction to 1) is clear I guess: Bring (one of the) FBReader instance(s) to the front.
But for 2). On a DR1000 one can always see (in the TaskBar) how many instances are already open, so there it would be safe to open an extra instance. But on the DR800 there is no way to switch between open applications/documents in a 'easy controlled'-way. So other behaviour could be:
- Same as for 1) bring the (only) instance of FBReader to the front
- Close the current document and open the new in the FBReader instance.

How do other FBReader users think of this?

PS: This does not imply that I am going to implement this

Tags
dr800s, fbreader