Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-05-2023, 11:11 AM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Lenovo announces Smart Paper tablet

The Lenovo Smart Paper tablet appears to be similar to Amazon's Kindle Scribe but with more note taking functionality including voice dictation and handwriting to text.

Quote:
Lenovo's Smart Paper tablet is a $400 answer to the Kindle Scribe
The E-Ink device can sync written notes with voice recordings.

Alongside its regular slate of laptops and other gear, Lenovo has announced an E-Ink notepad at CES. Smart Paper is a 10.3-inch display with an anti-glare screen. The company says it’s a lightweight device with 50GB of storage, enough for 50,000 pages of doodles and scrawls.

Smart Paper comes with a battery-less stylus that can be stored in the case. The Smart Paper Pen is designed to minimize lag, with latency as low as 23 milliseconds. There are nine different pen settings (such as pencil, ballpoint and marker), more than 4,000 pressure sensitivity levels and tilt detection. Smart Paper has dozens of notepad templates as well, including a blank slate, lined paper and music manuscript.
You'll be able to access millions of ebooks and search saved books and articles that are on your Smart Paper.
More info in the article from Engadget.

Last edited by jhowell; 01-05-2023 at 11:18 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:40 AM   #2
Sonnenfee
Zealot
Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Sony, Woxter
I guess it could be good.
However it would have to be just as good, professional and reliable as my reMarkable 2 working device.

And what is about light, I can't read anything about that in the article. Without light it wouldn't be interesting for me.

Last edited by Sonnenfee; 01-05-2023 at 12:01 PM.
Sonnenfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2023, 12:42 PM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenfee View Post
And what is about light, I can't read anything about that in the article. Without light it wouldn't be interesting for me.
Da kannst Du mehr darüber lesen.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:56 PM   #4
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
I guess it could be good.
However it would have to be just as good, professional and reliable as my reMarkable 2 working device.

The reMarkable 2 doesn't have a light either. Why does it get a pass for not having a light while this doesn't?

Besides, just because Engadget doesn't mention it that doesn't mean it doesn't have one. The Trusted Reviews and ZDnet articles both say has one. Apparently it has adjustable color tones and brightness settings with that.
https://www.trustedreviews.com/revie...vo-smart-paper
https://www.zdnet.com/article/lenovo...o-smart-paper/

I haven't dug into this yet, but it seems interesting so far. At minimum, it's nice to see several of this type of device are coming out and getting attention. The reMarkable fell flat on a few things for me (as a reader and the light) so I cancelled my preorders but hopefully their next one or someone else will bring out one that hits my needs better soon.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:07 PM   #5
Sonnenfee
Zealot
Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Da kannst Du mehr darüber lesen.
Dankeschön.
Und für mich hat es sich nach Lesen dieses Berichts auch schon wieder erledigt.

Ich werde auf ein reMarkable 3 mit Licht warten bis dahin bleibt und liebe ich weiterhin mein reM2 zum Arbeiten.
Advert
Old 01-05-2023, 02:22 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The reMarkable (1 or 2) is pretty poor:
  • Only network via USB, no MTP or mass storage
  • No on-board writing to text conversion
  • Limited document storage
  • No Library view with filters (no metadata), simply a file
    browser.
  • No front light.
  • Natively PDF only.
  • Only program (not on Linux) or Web Browser access, no Filemanager or Calibre like Scribe or Elipsa
The reMarkable2 ditches the three buttons on the original and replaces the nice to sketch on plastic with slippy glass. Both near identical FW (if you update). The reMarkable seems to be a basic clone of the Sony Digital Paper rather than a real ereader and notetaking (no text conversion, just a posh drawing app).

The Scribe is better than reMarkable. The Kobo Elipa & Sage are both far better.
I have a reMarkable, Elipsa and Sage.

This Lenovo sounds better than the Scribe, which is too tied to Amazon's server to be any use to me or any business user, the 300 dpi vs 227 dpi isn't enough of an advantage. In the reviews, the Scribe doesn't come even close to the Lenovo. I don't know if better than an Elipsa or Sage. I can do audio notes on my phone (used also for music and audiobooks). The Audio support on the Sage & Elipsa is really poor, any Andriod eink with audio does better.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-05-2023 at 02:26 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:34 PM   #7
Sonnenfee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
At minimum, it's nice to see several of this type of device are coming out and getting attention.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The reMarkable fell flat on a few things for me (as a reader and the light) so I cancelled my preorders but hopefully their next one or someone else will bring out one that hits my needs better soon.
The reMarkable 2 is my daily (Mon - Thu) working device. At my opinon the reM2 was only made for note taking and this job he did perfectly and excellent for me. The possibility of reading e-books is not more than a candy. Personally I wouldn't recommend the reM2 to someone for reading e-Books.

So, one for work: reM2
One big screen for reading: Kindle Scribe

The only device which could hit my reM2 would be a reM 3 with light

Last edited by Sonnenfee; 01-05-2023 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:50 PM   #8
Sonnenfee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The reMarkable (1 or 2) is pretty poor:
  • No on-board writing to text conversion
  • No front light.

The Scribe is better than reMarkable. The Kobo Elipa & Sage are both far better.
I don't need on-board writing to text conversion. I write my notes and sent them via e-mail to my adress. That works comfy and perfect and thats my daily workaround at work. The only thing I miss at the reM2 is front light. But meanwhile working since 2 month with the reM2 I can go with. I just switch the light above the table on and it fits for me.

The Scribe and the Sage (I have them both) imho are toys compared to the reM2 in note taking work for my purpose

Last edited by Sonnenfee; 01-05-2023 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:47 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Obviously you've never used Advanced notes on the Sage.

The reMarkable is far worse than Sage or Elipsa for Notes and worse than any Kindle for ebooks. Though the PDF view is fast the reMarkable has zero library features like Kindle or Kobo.
Old 01-05-2023, 05:05 PM   #10
Sonnenfee
Zealot

Quote:
Obviously you've never used Advanced notes on the Sage.

The reMarkable is far worse than Sage or Elipsa for Notes and worse than any Kindle for ebooks. Though the PDF view is fast the reMarkable has zero library features like Kindle or Kobo.
With your first sentence you are wrong.

A device which does anything and goes anywhere when putting my hand on its screen is not usable for me at work, its totally useless and thats what my Sage did sometime in practise. And for my work I don't need a library feature. I need a good handwriting recognition, folders as much as I will have for my notes, I need tags and other things you don't care about.
And well, the reM2 is not made for reading books with great pleasure on it.
That's what I said above, I wouldn't recommend the reM2 for reading books.

You have your opinion and I have mine. That's it.
Old 01-05-2023, 07:53 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

There is NO handwriting recognition on the reMarkable.
It's a PDF reader and sketchpad.

I have no idea what you are taking about on the Sage.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:45 PM   #12
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
About being absolutely burned with Lenovo's Thinkbook Plus (they abandoned updates for that device in less than six months) - I can't support Lenovo. I don't trust that they will put out a good product.

I'm also very suspicious if holding the device with that pen cut-out is very comfortable.
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:10 AM   #13
Sonnenfee
Zealot

Quote:
There is NO handwriting recognition on the reMarkable.
It's a PDF reader and sketchpad.

I have no idea what you are taking about on the Sage.
Obviously you didn't read my work around:
"I don't need on-board writing to text conversion. I write my notes and sent them via e-mail to my adress. That works comfy and perfect and thats my daily workaround at work."
I haven't said that there is a handwriting recognition directly ON the reM2 which can be saved ON the device. What I get at the E-Mail is converted text from my hand written notes and that's the thing I need to work on in OneNote.

Have you ever worked with your Sage under real condition and not for fun?
I don't think so. I have my boss at the phone and had to take some or lots of notes, this is various, and for this the Sage is a useless device. For example to get a new page takes to much time and when lying my hand on the device to start writing the Sage did the things which I mentioned (A device which does anything and goes anywhere when putting my hand on its screen is not usable for me at work, its totally useless and thats what my Sage did sometime in practise.)
If you make notes just for fun in your sparetime, than you can take a Sage for notes but not for professional daily live use.

Last edited by Sonnenfee; 01-06-2023 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-06-2023, 06:38 AM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Obviously you didn't read my work around:
"I don't need on-board writing to text conversion. I write my notes and sent them via e-mail to my adress. That works comfy and perfect and thats my daily workaround at work."
My Boox Note Air and Tab Ultra can do all that and much more.

And I automatically have all my Notes on all my Boox devices and computers.

Above all, they have light!
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:51 AM   #15
Sonnenfee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
My Boox Note Air and Tab Ultra can do all that and much more.

And I automatically have all my Notes on all my Boox devices and computers.

Above all, they have light!
That's fine for you, but I'm not interested in Boox devices anymore.
I also don't need my handwritten notes on other devices or computers.