Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-12-2022, 05:29 AM   #61
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
There is a strange phenomenon with my device - probably a file system error.
The moment an SD card is inserted, file access to the internal memory becomes much slower.
Example: Access to Calibre_Companion folder in internal storage ~ 16500 files, 8 GB:
without SD inserted - 12 seconds to display
with SD inserted - 56 seconds to display
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 05:34 AM   #62
denisuu
Zealot
denisuu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx Leaf 2 (White)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
The "up arrow" held solid (on auto repeat) without any special technique will get you to fastboot.
The "down arrow" held solid (on auto repeat) without any special technique will get you to EDL.
Thanks for testing this! You didn't have to open your own device. I will test this after exams are over.
I opened an issue on the bkerler Github about the loader: Onyx Leaf 2 - QCS2290 (QCS_AGATTI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by popej View Post
Is there a risk to damage latches, when opening the case? I would gladly remove magnets form inside, if opening is safe.
I opened the device twice now. I would say it's quite unlikely you'd break the latches if you just go around the device a couple of times and make sure it's popped out everywhere. It's probably one of the easiest devices I've ever opened.
denisuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2022, 06:35 AM   #63
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisuu View Post
You didn't have to open your own device.
No, I didn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poke3coverc.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	198352  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:37 AM   #64
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
The moment an SD card is inserted, file access to the internal memory becomes much slower.
Do you mean access from an app or access externally over MTP?
Is there anything on the SD card?
Old 12-12-2022, 07:00 AM   #65
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Do you mean access from an app or access externally over MTP?
Is there anything on the SD card?
Access from Boox File Manager.
On SD card are some files and folders
And with a complete fresh on Leaf 2 formatted card it needs the same time.
And when using a NTFS formatted SD, then it needs 40 seconds

Last edited by ottischwenk; 12-12-2022 at 07:38 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2022, 07:33 AM   #66
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Access from Boox File Manager.
On SD card are some files and folders
And with a complete fresh on Leaf 2 formatted card it needs the same time.
Well, look at the logcat, it must be doing something.

I've found the MediaScanner to be a waste of time. I use my own "on demand" scanner in my Library app to scan for book metadata. I just trigger it after a desktop sync operation.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:53 AM   #67
denisuu
Zealot

Quote:
No, I didn't.
This picture confuses me. You made a hole in the plastic on the back of the device and soldered a connector to the UART holes on your device?

What's the metal thing in the middle of the picture?
Old 12-12-2022, 08:17 AM   #68
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
This picture confuses me. You made a hole in the plastic on the back of the device and soldered a connector to the UART holes on your device?
Of course. This is at least the fifth ereader that I've done this. Doesn't everybody?

What's the metal thing in the middle of the picture?[/QUOTE]
That's a "T-nut" that I use for a mount of my bendy leg. I also use it on a flex arm over my bed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	monopod2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	198354   Click image for larger version

Name:	tnut.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	198355  
Old 12-12-2022, 09:19 AM   #69
denisuu
Zealot

Quote:
Of course. This is at least the fifth ereader that I've done this. Doesn't everybody?
Haha, every hardware hacker or Android Dev maybe.

What would you do incase there are no holes in the PCB to solder the connector to, but pads like on the Leaf 2? Make a hole in the case, glue the connector in then solder wires from the connector to the port in the case?
Old 12-12-2022, 09:46 AM   #70
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
What would you do incase there are no holes in the PCB to solder the connector to, but pads like on the Leaf 2?
It depends. If the PCB layout has pads on the bottom that are electrically connected, I'd grab a scrap of 0.1" perfboard to use as a template and my 0.9 mm carbide drill and drill four holes. If there are no pads but sufficient clearance under the PCB I'd still do that and wire the connector with 30 AWG wire. You could use right angle headers tack soldered to the top, but they'd project more. If you connected with wires you could use a smaller connector than 0.1" pitch, like 1 mm. You could have the connector come out a side slot. It might also be that the Type C connector has Alt Mode for debug.

On my Poke3 the kernel doesn't have the serial driver so there's no Android console. There were holes in the board, but the tolerances underneath are very tight. I soldered in the connector then filed the pins and solder almost flush.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #71
denisuu
Zealot

Quote:
It depends. If the PCB layout has pads on the bottom that are electrically connected, I'd grab a scrap of 0.1" perfboard to use as a template and my 0.9 mm carbide drill and drill four holes. If there are no pads but sufficient clearance under the PCB I'd still do that and wire the connector with 30 AWG wire. You could use right angle headers tack soldered to the top, but they'd project more. If you connected with wires you could use a smaller connector than 0.1" pitch, like 1 mm. You could have the connector come out a side slot. It might also be that the Type C connector has Alt Mode for debug.

On my Poke3 the kernel doesn't have the serial driver so there's no Android console. There were holes in the board, but the tolerances underneath are very tight. I soldered in the connector then filed the pins and solder almost flush.
Interesting for sure.

I didn't remove the USB port, but I'm pretty sure there's no speaker underneath as that corner isn't magnetic. So maybe lining up a female PCB socket behind those holes might be a good idea. That way you could just stick pin-headers trough the speaker-holes. (If there's enough clearance underneath.) You wouldn't even see any modification from the outside.

The bread-board you use in between is so that it could not damage the hardware in case you switch up TX and RX?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	speaker-grill.png
Views:	139
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	198376  

Last edited by denisuu; 12-13-2022 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:48 AM   #72
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Speaking of speakers, how do the speakers on the leaf2 sound? Reasonably loud and deep, or cheap and tinny? Are they on the same level as the Kindle keyboard, if anyone remembers that one. I would use them for audio books and TTS. Thanks
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 11:01 AM   #73
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
The bread-board you use ...
No, it's just a scrap of perfboard, 1/16" thick FR-4 circuit board with holes, just to use as a template to drill the three holes in a row.
Old 12-13-2022, 11:21 AM   #74
denisuu
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Speaking of speakers, how do the speakers on the leaf2 sound? Reasonably loud and deep, or cheap and tinny? Are they on the same level as the Kindle keyboard, if anyone remembers that one. I would use them for audio books and TTS. Thanks
I didn't test them, I immediately disabled all sound when I got it because the system notifications annoyed me. I might even take the speaker out because I won't use it, if I want sound I would pair it to a speaker. I'm not able to test them now because I don't have the device at the moment.

Maybe someone else will have a better answer, if not I'll let you know later.

Quote:
No, it's just a scrap of perfboard, 1/16" thick FR-4 circuit board with holes, just to use as a template to drill the three holes in a row.
Yes, I understood your post.

I admit my question was a bit confusing. I meant in the picture above. You have a connector on your device connected to a piece of perfboard with some resistors & transistors on it, what's that for?

Last edited by denisuu; 12-13-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-13-2022, 11:26 AM   #75
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
You have a connector on your device connected to a piece of perfboard with some resistors & transistors on it, what's that for?
Oh, that's a 1.8V to 3.3V level converter I threw together one night long ago.
Originally it was for a Nexus 7 which puts debug UART out on the headphone connector!
I've got to pick up a few of those multi-voltage UARTS like you have.