Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-10-2022, 03:02 PM   #31126
bluecollarreader
bluecollarreader began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire 7 12th Generation
Just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King a couple days ago, and am currently reading Wool by Hugh Howey.
bluecollarreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 05:19 AM   #31127
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Naked God by Peter F. Hamilton. The third and final part of his Night's Dawn trilogy. A massive tome!
Very long, I might say overly long. And rather spoiled for me by a Deus ex machina ending.

Next up: The Lacquer Screen by Robert van Gulik. A Judge Dee mystery.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2022, 07:04 AM   #31128
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I started Jenn Shapland's My Autobiography of Carson McCullers last night and am finding it absolutely fascinating.
Finished this last night. Will definitely be in my top 5 of the year.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 08:18 AM   #31129
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
13% through E. Nesbit's The Lark, book 11 in my Dean Street December challenge. Not yet sure if it's going to be quite quite for me.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 12-21-2022 at 05:25 AM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 07:47 AM   #31130
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: The Lacquer Screen by Robert van Gulik. A Judge Dee mystery.
Most enjoyable.

Next up: Heathercat by Robert Louis Stevenson. No idea about this one.
Advert
Old 12-16-2022, 06:24 AM   #31131
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Heathercat by Robert Louis Stevenson. No idea about this one.
Because it's only a fragment of the first two-and-a-half chapters. An interesting start, but that's all.

Next up: Galaxy's Edge #6
Old 12-19-2022, 03:53 AM   #31132
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Galaxy's Edge #6
Which was a good selection of new and old short stories.

Next I read The Trouble with Mirrors by Charlotte and Aaaron Elkins. The fourth in their series about art expert Alix London.

Which was the expected fun read.

And now I'm on to The Philosopher Kings by Jo Walton. The second in her Thessaly series.

(both these books are long-awaited purchases, bought thanks to a special offer by Amazon this December.)
Old 12-21-2022, 12:23 AM   #31133
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next, I'll finish up the Scholomance trilogy with Naomi Novik's Golden Enclaves.
Very disappointing. This book felt like it was written by someone else. Or the author ran out of steam after the first two books. Info-dumps made this one a drag. Explanations were hurried. Weak villain. A few minor surprises saved this from being a one-star. Curious as to what the author does next. Rated C- [2 stars].

Next, A Wizard's Guide To Defensive Baking by T. Kingfisher
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 05:09 AM   #31134
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
And now I'm on to The Philosopher Kings by Jo Walton. The second in her Thessaly series.
A great continuation. I'm looking forward to the third one.

Next was another recent purchase: The House of Unexpected Sisters by Alexander McCall Smith. The 18th in his No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series.
Interesting developments, even after all this time.

Now reading: A Call to Insurrection by David Weber. Fourth in a prequel series. Also a long-awaited recent purchase.
Old 12-26-2022, 05:57 AM   #31135
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Now reading: A Call to Insurrection by David Weber. Fourth in a prequel series. Also a long-awaited recent purchase.
Very enjoyable.

Next up was The Colours of all the Cattle by Alexander McCall Smith. More events in the life of Mma Ramotswe.

And now I'm starting The Man on the Balcony by Sjöwall & Wahlöö. The third in their Martin Beck novels.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:12 AM   #31136
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
And now I'm starting The Man on the Balcony by Sjöwall & Wahlöö. The third in their Martin Beck novels.
Which was good, in a horrific kind of way - in that it seems a realistic view of policing.

Next up: Finches of Mars by Brian Aldiss. A recent purchase.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:24 AM   #31137
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Finches of Mars by Brian Aldiss. A recent purchase.
Which I've abandoned. I can't recommend it at all.

Next up: We Can Remember It For You Wholesale By Philip K. Dick. A collection of some of his short stories.
Old 12-31-2022, 12:45 PM   #31138
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Which I've abandoned. I can't recommend it at all.

Next up: We Can Remember It For You Wholesale By Philip K. Dick. A collection of some of his short stories.
I am right this second loading an audiobook version of The Best American Short Stories of the Century (edited by John Updike) to my phone. "We Can Remember it For You Wholesale" is the last story in the collection.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 05:45 PM   #31139
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I'm getting ready to start reading Villains are Destined to Die by Suol from an original story by Gwon Gyeoeul. A young woman playing a video game enters Hard Mode. She finds herself trapped in the game and is stuck in the role of the video game's villain where the villain is fated to die.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 07:32 PM   #31140
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Nearly done with Just Desserts by Simon Haynes, book 3 in the Hal Spacejock series and part of Hal Spacejock Omnibus One. It's a silly scifi series, but I can't help it, I keep reading it! The audiobook version is also excellent and read by Australian narrator Graeme Hague. Omnibus ebook is available at Amazon and also in Kindle Unlimited library.

Also reading Antiques Ravin', a cozy by Barbara Allen. Love the characters. The story is interesting so far.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote