Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-24-2023, 07:09 PM   #1
RonOnThePond
Enthusiast
RonOnThePond began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle Previewer ignoring Calibre line-height settings

I've been editing the epub for my book in the Calibre editor (v6.11), doing okay. Three steps forward, two steps back, all the way. But I'm getting there. Somehow I have inadvertently done something that is causing the line spacing in Kindle Previewer to ignore my css line-height settings that were previously working fine. All of the KP lines appear to be nearly double-spaced.

Is there a global line-height setting in an epub that might be responsible for this? If so, where do I find it? Or is there some other misstep I might have made that could cause this behavior?

It's frustrating, because each attempt at a fix requires several minutes of KP's conversion process before I can see the result. My line-heights are fine in the Calibre Editor's viewer, so the only way I can see the effect of a change is to open it in KP, which as I said, is slow and tedious.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it, and my wife will be able to take me off suicide watch.

Ron
RonOnThePond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:19 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
They are not Calibre's line-height . Those are the pervue of W3C

CSS Cascading Style Sheet

Again. Not required Master Control dictating what all books do.
The editor has an Inspector that allows you to examine the selected block and sometime detect if you inherited from further out in the code nest.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:33 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The Kindle Previewer attempts to normalize line heights to 1.2em so that books will have a consistent look when published on Amazon. Some think that is too large and would prefer to have more lines per screen.

If you think that the line spacing is coming out greater than that you could post a screen shot for verification. Without seeing your CSS it is difficult to provide further advice.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:21 PM   #4
RonOnThePond
Enthusiast

Screenshots comparing Kindle and Calibre

Here are two screenshots to compare. If you need to see the css or the entire file, I'll scramble the epub and post a link, gladly. The entire file is spaced similarly and is fine in Calibre, not in the Kindle Previewer.

I have clearly done something stupid to make this happen because it is a new development that caught me by surprise. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly when it began. I could go back to an earlier copy, but it would be a lot of work to redo. I imagine there is a simple fix, if only I knew where to look.

Given time, I'd become a Calibre/HTML/CSS/Kindle expert first, and then write a book. Sadly, I got it backwards. So again, thank you for taking the time to help me with this. … Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	From Calibre Editor (preview pan).png
Views:	70
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	199234   Click image for larger version

Name:	From Kindle Previewer.png
Views:	81
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	199235  
Old 01-25-2023, 04:59 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Don't have ANY "line-height" properties anywhere.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:42 AM   #6
RonOnThePond
Enthusiast

Quoth, I'm not sure what you mean. Those are just images, not code snippets. My problem is that when I see the correctly spaced text in the Calibre Editor's viewer, it is totally wrong in the Kindle Previewer, as shown by the screenshots. So I'm wondering if there is some global line-height setting somewhere that I might have affected unintentionally, or if there is some other reason the KP looks so different.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:54 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suspect the setting is in the Previewer and not this if it looks OK in Calibre viewer.

Without the real code (can be scrambled), it is hard to tell where.
I'm with Quoth. get rid of any line-height in your code (a COPY) and see what the Kindle version looks like.

Been a while since I bothered with a Kindle (Kobo is now my main read), but Kindles have Kindle (setting) View and Publishers view. The former pretty much does its own thing.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:53 PM   #8
RonOnThePond
Enthusiast

theducks, you might be right. I sent the epub directly to my kindle and it looks much better, other than everything I already mucked up trying to get it to look right in the previewer. I will try to clean it up in Calibre, send it again to my kindle signature edition, and see how close I get. Thanks for the tip, and thanks for sticking with me on this.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:47 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonOnThePond View Post
theducks, you might be right. I sent the epub directly to my kindle and it looks much better, other than everything I already mucked up trying to get it to look right in the previewer. I will try to clean it up in Calibre, send it again to my kindle signature edition, and see how close I get. Thanks for the tip, and thanks for sticking with me on this.
Been down this path (fighting a device that does some, or all IT's WAY)
Old 01-25-2023, 02:39 PM   #10
RonOnThePond
Enthusiast

I guess there should probably be a separate forum here for group therapy.

Tags
css kindle, global settings, kindle previewer, line-height