Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2022, 12:44 PM   #1
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Amazon announces the Kindle Scribe - 10.2" Kindle with stylus support

I guess it's their version of the Remarkable and other note taking devices.

https://www.engadget.com/kindle-scri...9.html?src=rss

The link in Engadget's article doesn't work for me but I'm sure there'll be a lot more articles soon.

Being a Kindle it's sure to have better e-book support than the Remarkable. (Even while not including epubs.) I pre-ordered one of those but cancelled when I saw the ereading reviews and lack of capability there. Remarkable really dropped the ball there.

Edit:
More articles:
https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/28/2...us-event-price
https://techcrunch.com/2022/09/28/amazon-kindle-scribe/
https://www.techradar.com/news/new-a...ssive-upgrades
https://www.howtogeek.com/836509/ama...t-for-reading/
https://www.tomsguide.com/news/live/...-ring-and-more
https://gizmodo.com/kindle-scribe-e-...lus-1849590533

Some places say $399 some say $339. Not sure which is correct or if both are. There's supposed to be an upgraded stylus option available, so that could be the difference.

The pre-order / product page doesn't appear to be live yet but should be here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BS26B8B

Last edited by Dazrin; 09-28-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:03 PM   #2
ChrisHistorian76
Enthusiast
ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Air & Kindle Oasis
If I could, I'd be doing the Snoopy happy dance right now. In all seriousness, I have not been *this* happy about an Amazon device announcement in years. Perhaps since the original Kindle.

I wish they'd put up the pre-order page so I could place my order now. I would not be surprised if this one isn't sold out for months after release. Since 99.9% of my ebooks are Kindle from the Kindle store, once I get this device I can sell my Nova Air.

Last edited by ChrisHistorian76; 09-28-2022 at 01:25 PM.
ChrisHistorian76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:05 PM   #3
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
What the???? Wow!! I'm amazed. Now to calm down and read the links! Thanks for posting.

Wow! So this is the first ever 300 dpi 10" screen? AND a adjustable warm light - I was assuming that would be missing. But - what is this? No buttons? Can I live without buttons? Possibly...

Last edited by Pjama; 09-28-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:21 PM   #4
ChrisHistorian76
Enthusiast
ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
What the???? Wow!! I'm amazed. Now to calm down and read the links! Thanks for posting.

Wow! So this is the first ever 300 dpi 10" screen? AND a adjustable warm light - I was assuming that would be missing. But - what is this? No buttons? Can I live without buttons? Possibly...
According to the Tech Crunch article, there will be two stylus models. The "more premium" stylus will have "built-in buttons for quick actions." So you may not have to live without buttons for page turning. Those buttons will just be on the stylus instead of on the Scribe device.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:27 PM   #5
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pre-order is live now! Delivery date is Nov 30. I'm not buying one - not interested in note-taking ability at all, and no buttons. I also think it may have the plastic Paperwhite screen so I'll stick with my Oasis and wait and see if that is updated. Enjoy, everyone who buys this, I may join you at a later date. Actually, if Amazon introduce a two page split landscape view for this reader, I will buy it. Over and out.

Last edited by Pjama; 09-28-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #6
ChrisHistorian76
Enthusiast

Pre-order page is up!

You choose between the Scribe with a basic pen, or the Scribe with the Premium Pen as well as the storage size, 16 GB, 32 GB or 64 GB.

A Scribe with the Premium Pen and 64 GB of storage will cost $419. Amazon's also offering a monthly payment plan option for the Scribe.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:35 PM   #7
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHistorian76 View Post
According to the Tech Crunch article, there will be two stylus models. The "more premium" stylus will have "built-in buttons for quick actions." So you may not have to live without buttons for page turning. Those buttons will just be on the stylus instead of on the Scribe device.
Ooh, now there's a thought, in that case, I might have to try it out. I'll wait until I find out more about whether this is possible.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:42 PM   #8
ChrisHistorian76
Enthusiast

Pre-order placed!! This is going to be an awesome holiday gift to myself.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:54 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Some places say $399 some say $339. Not sure which is correct or if both are. There's supposed to be an upgraded stylus option available, so that could be the difference.
I think $339 is without the leather case or charger. $399 is for the bundle.

https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-K...50&sr=8-4&th=1
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:13 PM   #10
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
It doesn't look like the pen is pressure sensitive which makes it less useful for sketching / drawing than it could be. Shouldn't be a big deal for note taking though. We'll see how it goes when we get some real reviews.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:31 PM   #11
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I don't know what to think yet.

Do you think this is supposed to be the Oasis replacement basically?

I don't care on the pen feature really, and it's quite a price jump for that. I am curious of the button layout for the other options.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:40 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:42 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I don't know what to think yet.

I don't think so. Seems to be copied from the Kobo Elipsa.

Ditching the Oasis would mean Amazon no longer has any Kindles with physical buttons.

Personally I'm not in the market for the Scribe. 10'' is too big and heavy, and the lack of buttons is a dealbreaker. As I'm selling my Oasis at the moment, this means I won't have any Kindles left in active use at all, the first time in 11 years.

Last edited by Sirtel; 09-28-2022 at 02:45 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:51 PM   #14
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Yes, it's a great device for those waiting for something like this, but not as an Oasis replacement.

Discouraging thought that, as Amazon does not always do thinks that make sense for the reading market. They took years overdue to release warm lighting and waterproof, won't ever re-release their beloved voyage despite fans wanting it, and seem to make oddball decisions half the time. That would be a bummer if the Oasis is now completely gone release-wise :/
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:57 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Yes, it's a great device for those waiting for something like this, but not as an Oasis replacement.

Discouraging thought that, as Amazon does not always do thinks that make sense for the reading market. They took years overdue to release warm lighting and waterproof, won't ever re-release their beloved voyage despite fans wanting it, and seem to make oddball decisions half the time. That would be a bummer if the Oasis is now completely gone release-wise :/
Yeah. As I'll never buy a buttonless Paperwhite, that would mean no Kindles for me at all anymore. At least Kobo has two devices with buttons, and I'm happy about that. Else my ereading future would look pretty dismal.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote