Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-04-2022, 08:40 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Alpha Freewrite

Put $1.00 down to reserve the new Alpha Freewrite for purchase. (One is not obligated to buy, but it does knock off $100 from the total.)

When you live in mythic splendor, as I do - with OVER $237 in my Checking Account!!! - - then why the hell not!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-04-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 11:43 AM   #2
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I was vaguely curious because while I am not a "writer," i do use FocusWriter on my laptop when I need to write a litigation narrative or argument for one of my cases.

The font looks nearly unreadable and is not angled up at all. I think I'd still just find a good, old, working Alphasmart on ebay rather than drop 400-500 bucks on one of these.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 09:16 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I was vaguely curious because while I am not a "writer," i do use FocusWriter on my laptop when I need to write a litigation narrative or argument for one of my cases.

The font looks nearly unreadable and is not angled up at all. I think I'd still just find a good, old, working Alphasmart on ebay rather than drop 400-500 bucks on one of these.

I don't think the image of the screen does it any kind of justice. According to their promo copy (if I'm understanding this correctly), they advertise this:

At 15pt, one has 6 lines of text visible.
At 26 pt, one has 4 lines of text visible.

I'll be waiting for more info. I don't feel like I've lost anything at $1, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on them.

Old 09-04-2022, 09:59 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Put $1.00 down to reserve the new Alpha Freewrite for purchase. (One is not obligated to buy, but it does knock off $100 from the total.)

When you live in mythic splendor, as I do - with OVER $237 in my Checking Account!!! - - then why the hell not!
So they've somehow obtained the old AlphaSmart domain name. I think I would like this keyboard better than their other products, but even with at a $100 off it's still $249 for this. And I don't even know if the Backspace key deletes (probably not, in keeping with their "just write" aim). Besides, I already have an AlphaSmart Neo (more than one). But it is kind of nice that they're "tipping their hat" to AlphaSmart and recognizing that's still a popular choice.

EDIT: Meant to add this "information" link to the post but forgot.

https://www.inputmag.com/tech/freewr...writer-writing

Last edited by rcentros; 09-04-2022 at 10:06 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

The BACKSPACE key on my Freewrite Gen 2 deletes one character at a time, whereas pressing NEW and BACKSPACE deletes an entire word at a time.

I believe that exact key and key combination on the Traveler works the same way.

I'm only guessing that the Alpha may also work the same way.

Thanks for the link; I wasn't aware of that one.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:39 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Personally, I'm happy with my Neos (I have the original and a Neo 2) and see no reason to support the silly Astrohaus philosophy of no as-you-go editing.

I was writing some flash fiction earlier and noticed that I frequently rethink phrasing, or words, and change them quickly before continuing. Wouldn't be possible on the current Astrohaus machines, nor presumably on this one.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote