Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #16
njosnari
njosnari began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it!
It's not that I'm super married to my T1, it's just I feel very wasteful to throw away something that should be fixable somehow. I do miss having something to read too... I guess I'll get over that and check out the Kobo recommendations.
Thanks again!
njosnari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:42 PM   #17
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I hope you find something you like!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2019, 12:38 AM   #18
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
I don't think you mentioned, njosnari, but what version firmware were you running?
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:15 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I'm sure the OP knows there are more modern readers available. I did, after all, refer him/her to the Kobo forum if they want more info on the Libra or other Kobo readers.

I was just pointing out that used Sonys may be available in case he/she likes Sony and doesn't care about some of the things you mentioned (maybe he/she doesn't read books with a lot of images, or doesn't care about having a light).

The only reason I quit using my Sony reader earlier this year was that it lost the ability to get library books directly due to Overdrive changes. Otherwise my T3 with the lighted cover was working just fine for my purposes. It almost never locked up.
But the OP has a T1 and I know for a fact that with eBooks with a hi-res cover and title page, the T2 can be very slow in displaying these images or it can lock or it can crash. The T1 is rather poor with eBooks with hi-res images. The thing is, even if the OP can get a used T1, it's not worth it unless the OP strips the DRM and reduces the size of the graphics. But if the OP reading library eBooks, that's not going to happen. So the sensible thing to do is get a more modern reader that handles current eBooks properly.

I got the Kobo because it had a lot of things I wanted; larger screen, higher resolution, front light, newer RMSDK with hyphenation, more options including more font sizes, and some other things. I've never used my T1 since. I actually have two T1's. One is mine and the other is my mother's.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-17-2019 at 06:20 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #20
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I read every day on my T2. It never locks up and I have about 400 ebooks on it.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2019, 09:27 AM   #21
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But the OP has a T1 and I know for a fact that with eBooks with a hi-res cover and title page, the T2 can be very slow in displaying these images or it can lock or it can crash. The T1 is rather poor with eBooks with hi-res images. The thing is, even if the OP can get a used T1, it's not worth it unless the OP strips the DRM and reduces the size of the graphics. But if the OP reading library eBooks, that's not going to happen. So the sensible thing to do is get a more modern reader that handles current eBooks properly.

I got the Kobo because it had a lot of things I wanted; larger screen, higher resolution, front light, newer RMSDK with hyphenation, more options including more font sizes, and some other things. I've never used my T1 since. I actually have two T1's. One is mine and the other is my mother's.
The Sony T series are fine for regular text books as long as you have a Sony that's in working order. I have never messed with DRM, I just read library books or epubs from bookstores like Google Play. As I said, my T3 was working fine, hardly ever locked up, and the only reason I bought a new reader was to regain library access. And Hemmi reports reading regularly on a T2 with no problems.

In this case, it sounds like the OP is going to be looking at new readers now anyway so it doesn't really matter any more for this thread.

But I don't see why just about every time someone posts in the Sony forum trying to find out if they can fix a problem with their Sony, you feel compelled to come here and tell them to buy something else. I'm sure these people are well aware that there are other ereaders available. They just want to make sure they have tried everything possible to fix their old one before moving on. There's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by 4691mls; 10-17-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The Sony T series are fine for regular text books as long as you have a Sony that's in working order. I have never messed with DRM, I just read library books or epubs from bookstores like Google Play. As I said, my T3 was working fine, hardly ever locked up, and the only reason I bought a new reader was to regain library access. And Hemmi reports reading regularly on a T2 with no problems.

However, it sounds like the OP is going to be looking at new readers now anyway so it doesn't really matter any more.
But saying the T2 and T3 work no bother doesn't actually matter. It's the fact that the T1 has issues even when it's working perfectly.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #23
4691mls
Wizard

Well my original post where I mentioned my T3 was to let them know it works well (except for losing the library access) in case they wanted to try another Sony.

We do get some people in this forum who just really like Sonys and might rather buy a used T2 or T3 than a new reader of another brand.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #24
njosnari
njosnari began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Hi guys,

@DoctorM, it was the latest firmware, 1.0.7.5050, or something like that.

In the end, I found a T3 secondhand for cheap. It suits my needs, and I guess I'll keep the T1 If I need parts for any reason. So my conscience is a little lighter and I don't feel so wasteful! Maybe just a little like a hoarder instead..

Thanks everyone for your help! Too bad it was a lost cause in the end.
njosnari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by njosnari View Post
Hi guys,

@DoctorM, it was the latest firmware, 1.0.7.5050, or something like that.

In the end, I found a T3 secondhand for cheap. It suits my needs, and I guess I'll keep the T1 If I need parts for any reason. So my conscience is a little lighter and I don't feel so wasteful! Maybe just a little like a hoarder instead..

Thanks everyone for your help! Too bad it was a lost cause in the end.
Bad idea to keep the T1 for parts. The T1 & T3 are different enough that the T1 won't work as parts for the T3. Even the screens are different. Basically, sell the T1 on eBay. It may have a good enough battery and as long as the screen works, that can be salvaged as well.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #26
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Shop goodwill always has cheap used ereaders available often under $10 if no one outbids you. Of course everything is sold as is but I've hadn't had any problems with the sony ereaders I bought from them so far.

Currently there is a T-2 available if anyone is interested.
Sony e-Reader PRS-T2 2GB https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/79708536
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

To be honest, the T series from Sony is too old and too slow and I know for sure that the T1 & T2 will run very slow when you are trying to display hi-res graphics and if you try to display too many, it will crash.

Get a new Reader such as one from Kobo that will handle ePub, has a lot more features, much better 300dpi screen, and a front light.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:02 PM   #28
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
To be honest, the T series from Sony is too old and too slow and I know for sure that the T1 & T2 will run very slow when you are trying to display hi-res graphics and if you try to display too many, it will crash.

Get a new Reader such as one from Kobo that will handle ePub, has a lot more features, much better 300dpi screen, and a front light.
CD players/MP3 players may be "better" than cassette tape player/record players but some people still choose to go old school for whatever reasons. I'm no sony fanboy but I still got my sony mini disc player even though I haven't used it in years. Also, my T-1 gots a headphone jack so there.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:00 AM   #29
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Too slow? For what purpose? It's not like you sit there waiting for a page to turn or something.
I've used a Kindle 1 and even that isn't 'too slow'. Mostly it's just too heavy.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #30
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:

I doubt I'm the only one who just reads novels that don't even have pictures other than the front cover.

The front light may not be important to everyone.

I still use my T3 occasionally if I am reading a book that has a lot of unfamiliar words because I like its dictionaries. It works just fine.

Not everyone feels compelled to have the latest and greatest just because it's available.