Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #16
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Speaking of Irex..... I met Alex Henzen yesterday and had a conversation with him. He had some very interesting things to say

But this thread is about Pixel Qi. I spent alittle time yesterday trying to get a moment with Mary Lou Jepson. The press office folk were even talking with her PR people but there just wasnt time.

But they are shipping production displays to their customers. So it wont be too long before devices are out. Computex http://www.computextaipei.com.tw/ is next week so i expect some more news from there, since Im sure Charbax will be there keep an eye on his site(s). There is another show soon after that also (cant remember the name just now)
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #17
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
But they are shipping production displays to their customers. So it wont be too long before devices are out.
They've been saying that since last year, at least.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #18
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

okay but they produced the display and sold and delivered orders of them to customers. If the customer (notion ink) is having a delay (because they had to wait for froyo) that doesnt make the display vaporware. its real it exists.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #19
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
I think Shaggy is just from Missouri, "The Show Me State"

Pixel Qi may really be shipping, but until the consumer can actually buy a device with one of their screens, it is technically vaporware.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #20
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'm with Shaggy.

I couldn't give a crap less about technology until 1) it's out in a device I can buy and 2) it's shown to work better than existing options.

I do think something will roll out with a Pixel Qi screen late this year or early next. I'm mixed on it. I'm skeptical that the screen can match say the iPads or a nice LED laptop monitor etc. when it comes to HD video etc. And I care more about that part than how well it does monochrome/reflective mode for text.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #21
Dulin's Books
Wizard

well the ips display on the iPad will be better until you get into a daylight situation where its unviewable.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #22
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
well the ips display on the iPad will be better until you get into a daylight situation where its unviewable.
Sure, but I hate the outdoors and keep my blinds shut so not a problem for me.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #23
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
...and until the PixelQ display readers actually ship
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #24
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Sure, but I hate the outdoors and keep my blinds shut so not a problem for me.
preaching to the converted
Old 05-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #25
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
I read on my iPhone in daylight without problems but being in FL, I stay in the shade.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #26
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
In a way the PixelQi is the worst of both worlds (a color screen that is on par with what was available 3-5 years ago and a mediocre reading screen). My guess is that there just isn't enough interest -- yes, I know a lot of MR members are very excited about it, but you can't make money selling a few hundred devices. And if that excitement could be sustained when having the real thing is also doubtful. When you have to make such serious compromises, better get two separate devices or just get an iPad or tablet/laptop convertible.

Perhaps PixelQi has decided to go straight for a better quality color screen (and thus need more time for development), but then they should at least say so. My money is on PixelQi being vaporware.

Last edited by HansTWN; 05-28-2010 at 09:40 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #27
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I read on my iPhone in daylight without problems but being in FL, I stay in the shade.
right - you are in the shade

pic of ipad next to a liquavista display

videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puvaw-unW24

mind you the 2nd is propaganda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZQm9...eature=related

but yeah i should have been clearer by using "in the sun" rather than daylight. but even in the shade viewing anything on the ipad is difficult. course, here in portland we only have to worry about that for about 2 months of the year. and then we have the blinds...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Liquavista Display Comparison.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	52410  

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 05-28-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #28
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
And where's the e-ink screen next to those? Hmm.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote