Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #91
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
And this is why, Amazon is re-evaluating their practices. So, if you personally still want Amazon to be able to delete your files, take your beef with Amazon.
I don't HAVE a beef with Amazon. I think they did the right thing, and it's exactly what I would expect to happen. Not deleting the illegal content (and yes, I'm bloody well going to keep using that term) is the mistake. But, if Amazon wants to bow to this nonsense then that's up to them.

Carl
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #92
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I don't HAVE a beef with Amazon. I think they did the right thing, and it's exactly what I would expect to happen. Not deleting the illegal content (and yes, I'm bloody well going to keep using that term) is the mistake. But, if Amazon wants to bow to this nonsense then that's up to them.
I find it refreshing that you are a minority.
ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #93
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
I find it refreshing that you are a minority.
Whatever. I think this conversation has run its course, and I'm finished with it.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #94
Andurian
You really should try it!
Andurian doesn't litterAndurian doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Amazon is not generally a distributor of pirated goods, and acts to remove pirated content to the best of its ability, even more-so that some people like. Were either of these true for Pirate Bay?
Yep, sure are. The Pirate Bay is not a distributor of anything and hence is not a distributor of pirated goods and had no pirated content to remove.

They served essentially as an improved Google search on "torrent."
Andurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #95
heymae
heymae began at the beginning.

Device: BE-BOOK READER
The moral of the story is ..."Don't own a Kindle." However from today's news, Amazon have announced,that in future, they will not be removing any more "purchased" books.
Just remember...There are a whole heap of e-book readers to choose from, that have no association, with either Amazon or Kindle.
heymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 11:51 PM   #96
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andurian View Post
Yep, sure are. The Pirate Bay is not a distributor of anything and hence is not a distributor of pirated goods and had no pirated content to remove.

They served essentially as a means to download pirated material.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:11 AM   #97
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
This doesn't surprise me, Amazon told me soon after I got my Kindle, that if , for example, they lost the rights to publish a particular book in Kindle format, it would be deleted from my media library on their servers.

That is another reason I recommend backing up to a hard drive or another server. They did note that I could request a refund, but my concern is that I would no longer have the book I thought I had purchased, but in their view I had only lisenced to read.

So, I back up "my" books, and if Amazon deletes them, I will still have access to them.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 AM   #98
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andurian View Post

Except most of the torrents on The Pirate Bay are on The Pirate Bay's own tracker. If they were solely a search engine, you would have a point (but they aren't and you don't)
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:42 AM   #99
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Thumbs down Annotations

Quote:
I think they did the right thing, and it's exactly what I would expect to happen.
And what about the annotations? Where do you derive and right at all that Amazon deletes the annotations as well?

I asked the question before - but the pro Amazon members never have an answer. I guess it is one of those cases where the the owner of a good has to justify there purchase at all cost and therefore placed a heavy reality distortion field around them. Filtering out question for which the answer is not the answer they would like to give.

Last edited by krischik; 07-20-2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: spelling
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #100
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
And what about the annotations? Where do you derive and right at all that Amazon deletes the annotations as well?

I asked the question before - but the pro Amazon members never have an answer. I guess it is one of those cases where the the owner of a good has to justify there purchase at all cost and therefore placed a heavy reality distortion field around them. Filtering out question for which the answer is not the answer they would like to give.
Please define "pro-Amazon members" and what you would define yourself as.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #101
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Please define "pro-Amazon members
The ones who justify any Amazon action no matter how stupid, unethical and probably illegal that action is. It's not a new phenomenon - you'll find this kind of almost religious fanatism in other on-line communities (e.g. Apple fans, Widnows fans, Linux fans, etc).
ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #102
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
The ones who justify any Amazon action no matter how stupid, unethical and probably illegal that action is. It's not a new phenomenon - you'll find this kind of almost religious fanatism in other on-line communities (e.g. Apple fans, Widnows fans, Linux fans, etc).
I familiar with the concept of "fanbois" and "fanatics". I was asking the question of Krischik because I've seen him/her use the term in posts at least a couple of times. After following his/her short history of posts, I would classify him/her to be the flip side of the same coin and was curious if he/she felt the same.

I believe there are very few totally if any "pro-Amazon" only posters. We have all had our issues with their actions (you only have check post histories to confirm - I myself have been burned) and swing on the pendulum depending on our personal experiences with a particular issue.

There is enough blindness all around.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #103
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a bit silly for anyone to be fanatically "pro" or "anti" any company, don't you think? As I've made clear, I personally have no issue at all with what Amazon have done here. Others feel differently - that's fine, too. On the other hand, I think Amazon made a real mess of the Kindle DX. We should judge each issue on its individual merits; that really strikes me as the only rational thing to do. The fact that we may hold different opinions about things is just human nature - it doesn't mean that anyone is "right" or "wrong".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #104
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
....The fact that we may hold different opinions about things is just human nature - it doesn't mean that anyone is "right" or "wrong".
Bleh..., the fact that you all inhabit the universe of my personal consciousness, makes all opinions contrary to mine, abhorrent to the natural order of that universe, and therefore "wrong."

My consciousness has constructed a particularly grim "hell" for all those who disagree with me.

Last edited by Sonist; 07-20-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #105
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If you back up your .mbp files as well as the .azw files, you will have your annotations.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote