Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
physics@war
Connoisseur
physics@war began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question What is the best one for reading PDF science and technical paper

Hi I just got my Sony PRS700,

It is good for reading novel, but the n I realize it is too small to read the letter size technical paper. When I change the font or zoom in, the format is screwed up.

So I decided to return it. And try to get a different one. Can iRex iLiad show proper format and good text size for those PDF scientific paper?

Or should I get the iRex 1000?

Please get me back as soon as possible since I need to take action quick.

Thanks
physics@war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics@war View Post
Can iRex iLiad show proper format and good text size for those PDF scientific paper?

Or should I get the iRex 1000?
Thanks
Hi, given your reading preferences, the iliad is your best bet currently, unless you want to go for a netbook.

I have an Iliad BE, same form-factor as iliad v1, v2(not DR1000s). When I tried reading tech pdf on the original pdf reader in the iliad, i found that the text size was just a couple of sizes larger than the unreadable level. It was readable, but with some effort(my eyesight is pretty good). The size is almost as small as fineprint/footnotes in scientific papers.

The default pdf reader allowed only 2 zoom levels. one the small sz and the other zooms in to a particular region of the pdf. the rest of the paper almost dissappears. I havent tried out simple text.
Converting pdf to mobipocket can give better results(if it is a text pdf).

The Iliads have a good developer community(here in MR) who have developed fantastic pdf readers(among many others). These offer much better pdf control and zoom is very good. For eg., see pPdf/pViewer by cartesius or the iPDF installers pkg.

You could look at the iliad sub-forum herein for more information.
In particular refer to DesiLinguist's review of the iliad. I think this is the most recent review. You should also check out the review videos posted in MR and in youtube(general search).

Now, if the iliad doesnt suit your purposes for various reasons, then the DR1000 is worth consideration(if price is not a consideration ).

I got my iliad-be as it suited my pocket(a pricey compromise really) and my reading tastes. With the opensource version, i was able to get a good pdf reading experience. I would have liked to have the DR1000, but the price&shortcomings killed my choice.

Hope this helps. Good luck..

--hari
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
physics@war
Connoisseur

Hey rhari79,

How long have you own the iLiad? If you can, will you sell your iLiad and then up grade to the DR1000s.

Do you know or heard how difficult people order iRex from America?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:49 AM   #4
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics@war View Post
How long have you own the iLiad? If you can, will you sell your iLiad and then up grade to the DR1000s.

Do you know or heard how difficult people order iRex from America?
I have had my iliad for just under a month now.
Sorry mate, I dont intend to sell it
cos i got it after a lot of deliberations and now intend to use it to max.
The DR1000S is too heavy on my pocket with lots of bugs/missed features, so it will be a downgrade in reality

But check out the flea market forum; you should get some good deals there.
If you really need one, you could try posting a Buy notice there.

The iliad can also be ordered online. IRex ships worldwide.
Also check out: http://www.ereaderoutfitters.com
They seem to be located in US, so local shipping shouldnt be a problem.

[Edit]
There seems to be one open sale DR1000(i think) from harryE123, without a Sell Tag though.

Last edited by rhari79; 04-12-2009 at 01:04 AM. Reason: [More Info]
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:52 AM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
The DR1000 does display technical papers very well. You cannot beat size when you want to read that sort of document. It's pdf zoom and scrolling is very successful. The format of the pdf document can make some pdfs a bit sluggish to load, but if you can reformat them (even an optimise can help) it generally speeds things up. Normally a sluggish response is doe to embedded images taking a while to render themselves.

I can read A4 documents with the margins set to min, with out too much trouble adn if you wish, turn the device landscape.

The iliad would be a good compromise between a good book (novel) reader & an adequate technical reader I'd have thought. It does also have a number of advantages, not least it can read docs off a plugged in usb flash stick. Disadvantages are obviously the smaller display and iRex are not going to be doing much more with it.

regards
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Disadvantages are obviously the smaller display and iRex are not going to be doing much more with it.

regards
... and, if you want to use it to read fiction, the very poor implementation of the Mobi Reader on it. I understand that the version on the DR1000 is a lot better, plus the DR1000 will be gaining ePub support at some point in the near future, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... and, if you want to use it to read fiction, the very poor implementation of the Mobi Reader on it. I understand that the version on the DR1000 is a lot better, plus the DR1000 will be gaining ePub support at some point in the near future, too.
Although hasn't FBReader been ported to run on the iLiad? I hear it is a better reader. ALthough it won't support the DRM. There are of course ways around that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
physics@war
Connoisseur

Quote:

The iliad would be a good compromise between a good book (novel) reader & an adequate technical reader I'd have thought. It does also have a number of advantages, not least it can read docs off a plugged in usb flash stick. Disadvantages are obviously the smaller display and iRex are not going to be doing much more with it.

regards
So you still consider the iLiad screen is small for reading technical paper, right?

I thought it is a bit bigger than the PRS 700. I am now put the PRS 700 into landscape and I can read the text around the size of font 10.

I hope I can get some better resolution with other readers. I hoep I can make up my mind within 30 days so that i can return the Sony one to get full refund.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

A lot would depend on the nature of the technical papers. If they are largely text, you may find it more than adequate, especially in landscape. If there are diagrams, drawings and the like, the extra size of the DR is beneficial.
When I was looking, I printed and then scaled (using a photocopier) the same document, down to the respective screen sizes. This is not an ideal way of representing what happens, but it was good enough for me.
I was also able to see an iliad in store and they were more than willing for me to load on some documents to see what it was like. With my eyesight now needing glasses to read, I felt the DR1000, despite the cost was a more appropriate device in my circumstances. The iliad however was a very close second as it was I feel a better all round size, I feel the DR is a little "overwhelming" when reading a novel. The Cybook size suited my requirements for novels.
The iliad would have suited if iRex would continue to develop it, for instance the epub format, both Cybook & DR1000 will eventually get that ability, but not the iRex (I'm talking primarily the nasty drm stuff here as it is easy to "fix" that problem with a Mac)

regards
Old 04-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The iliad would have suited if iRex would continue to develop it, for instance the epub format, both Cybook & DR1000 will eventually get that ability, but not the iRex (I'm talking primarily the nasty drm stuff here as it is easy to "fix" that problem with a Mac)

regards
So, you decided to get a DR1000? Your profile says you also have a CyBook? Is that the case? So, you will use the CyBook for recreational reading and on the go stuff and the DR1000 for technical manuals/documents/pdfs?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
physics@war
Connoisseur

Quote:
A lot would depend on the nature of the technical papers. If they are largely text, you may find it more than adequate, especially in landscape. If there are diagrams, drawings and the like, the extra size of the DR is beneficial.
regards
So is the iLiad a good candidate for reading technical papers? Can you flip the iLiad into landscape view?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:54 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Although hasn't FBReader been ported to run on the iLiad? I hear it is a better reader. ALthough it won't support the DRM. There are of course ways around that.

BOb
It's better in some ways, certainly, but it has downsides, too - most notably (for me), the fact that it doesn't support dictionary lookup.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
pthwaite
Fanatic

Pilotbob,
Yes, I use the Cybook for reading novels but the DR1000 for anything pdf based (or at least A4 or larger pdf) and technical docs. the DR is also used more because of the markup facility. Generally I use the DR for "Office" reading or newspapers, but the Cybook almost exclusively for novels etc. I just find the Cybook more convenient to hold etc for reading and it works well with Calibre. I do store my travel insurance detalis in pdf format on the Cybook though for when I'm on vacation.

as a slight aside, what I would like to add to both is a "welcome screen " that has a photo of me and my phone number in case it gets lost, or some equivalent. But as far as I can see, no device lets you do that yet, ie save & display a password protected file.

Otherwise, each device has its pros and cons