Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Buying all your favorites

Do you eventually want to get all your favorite books as ebooks? This excludes those who never reread of course, but for the rest of you? I've replaced about 80% of my paper keepers that I currently had plus a bunch of old favorites that for one reason or another I hadn't kept. And am impatiently waiting for a handful that are not yet out as ebooks
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I'd love to but some of those favorites are from vintage Ace Doubles and less celebrated authors. The only way those get into my ereader is if I scan/ocr them. Which I do from time to time. But as they say, too many boo k s--too little time.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Yes, absolutely. The exception being books with large color pictures or photos. As for the rest, I've bought all that are available as e-books.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've replaced as many of my falling-apart books as I could.

I can't bring myself to spend too much to replace a book I already own which is still in good condition but I'll snap up ebook versions of my favorites if I see them on sale.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:03 PM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am trying to get all of my pbooks as ebooks, but I will probably fail since so many of them are out of print.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I regretfully tossed dozens and dozens (hundreds?) of old paperbacks that literally fell apart when I opened them. I'll gradually get e-books to replace the ones that are important to me.

For books I especially like, I tend buy the e-book version for possible rereading and keep the hardcover as well.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #7
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I've duplicated/replaced over 50% of my print collection.

I would do more, but many of the books on my keeper shelf are not available digitally.

I can only be grateful that I started buying ebooks back in the days before agency pricing when you could buy on sale. I couldn't afford to buy all of the ebooks I did if I started now.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Open Road has been great for replacing a lot of old paperbacks, especially since they put a selection on sale every day.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I do re-read books but not for several years. There are a number of books that I've been re-reading over and over since the 1950s and I've bought a lot of those as ebooks if I think I'll read them again.

I watch for books to go on sale and that's when I buy them. I already have enough books to probably last the rest of my life so there's no rush. There are a very few authors I'll pay high prices for when they become available. The vast majority of my books were bought for $2 or $3.

I'm retired so the fun of watching for these books is a nice way to spend time; almost as much fun as reading.

When I read paper books I rarely kept them. I'd pass them to friends and family or trade them in used book stores. I always read paperbacks. When I got ready to read something again I'd just buy it again. I've rarely owned more than half dozen paper books and most of the time I wouldn't buy my next book till I was finished with the current one.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:02 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Been buying my favourites as eBooks for decades. I have very few fiction books as paper books now, and they're mainly my treasured ones, such as my hardback illustrated version of LOTR, and my 36-volume leather-bound complete works of Dickens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:10 AM   #11
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Yes, I'm trying to replace the bulk of my pbooks as ebooks. These days I very rarely buy paper - quite apart from the space considerations, we moved house 2 years ago. I really don't want to go through that trauma again if (when) we eventually downsize!

Let's see, I have books in the kitchen, the hallway (which doesn't include the boxes to be disposed of), the sitting room, the family room, the upstairs landing, our bedroom, the spare bedroom and the attic. There are no books in the utility room, the downstairs loo, the bathroom or the dressing room. Neither are there books on the staircase (unlike my previous house); there may be a couple waiting to go upstairs, but that's a temporary measure.

As with others, many of my pbooks are OOP and are not likely to be digitised any time soon (author deceased, estate issues and not yet out of copyright). Eventually, I want to get it down to just the bookcases in the family room, the sitting room and the bedroom, with one bookcase in the spare room kept for more special works (old children's books belonging to my late parents, the poetry written by my great-aunt, family bibles, or more valuable/collectable editions).
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Yes. I've replaced the vast majority of my paper books already. There are still books I'm trying to find (see the backlist thread in the recommendations forum) and books that I suspect will never make it to ebook since the author has died and the book was kind of obscure (also see the books you never thought would make ebook thread). Who knows, maybe one day they will address the orphan book issue.

Ideally, I would be able to move all my library to ebooks, well with the exception of a few books, I have picked up a few stinkers over the years.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #13
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Yes but there are fewer than you'd think.

I have ~250 paper books and over 830 ebooks. Whilst I have maybe 50 in both formats I think genuine favourites that I reread is maybe 5-10.

But I guess that's partly because I rarely re-read these days so when I do it has to be a guaranteed, will always love it, good read. If I do re-read a book I haven't read for a while I will usually buy it as an ebook.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #14
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I've invested in a Czur Scanner for those books I want to keep and re-read from time to time which are not available as ebooks. It makes the process of scanning so much easier, and the OCR is very good. Nevertheless it is not something I want to do often.

To digress slightly from the topic, it would be nice if copyright law was modified to allow the not for profit sharing of scanned works where the book concerned is out of print with no present plans for an ebook. Perhaps by way of statutory licence with payment of a statutory royalty. Sadly, as things stand there are many works which may well not make it to ebook. It is a similar problem to abandoned works which I understand has been a prominent issue with retro games titles.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
To digress slightly from the topic, it would be nice if copyright law was modified to allow the not for profit sharing of scanned works where the book concerned is out of print with no present plans for an ebook.
If that were to be the case, there would be no incentive whatsoever for any publisher to issue their back-catalogue as ebooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote