Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-07-2017, 12:05 AM   #76
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
[QUOTE=notimp;3548767]...

Third - remove DRM, make it a good instead of an access license,..

for books and music, OK, BUT that is not possible with Amazon Video purchases. I know of no working method to remove HD video DRM, I appreciate we cant discuss that here anyway but if anyone reckons it's doable please say & I'll go google.

As of right now - you are paying for non transfarable usage licenses (that sometimes can be temp lent "family sharing").

what about the 90Gb of MY home made content uploaded to their cloud for safekeeping Do their pages of legalese give them the right to zap that without even saying , to whoever notifies them, "warmest regards/ sincerest condolences for your loss - you now have x days to retrieve it" ? [ yes, it is actually backed up in my case, but I am arguing the principle of how the "benefits" of cloud storage fail to address this issue .

Last edited by stumped; 07-07-2017 at 12:07 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:24 AM   #77
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
[QUOTE=stumped;3548922]
Quote:
Originally Posted by notimp View Post

Third - remove DRM, make it a good instead of an access license,..

for books and music, OK, BUT that is not possible with Amazon Video purchases. I know of no working method to remove HD video DRM, I appreciate we cant discuss that here anyway but if anyone reckons it's doable please say & I'll go google.

As of right now - you are paying for non transfarable usage licenses (that sometimes can be temp lent "family sharing").

what about the 90Gb of MY home made content uploaded to their cloud for safekeeping Do their pages of legalese give them the right to zap that without even saying , to whoever notifies them, "warmest regards/ sincerest condolences for your loss - you now have x days to retrieve it" ? [ yes, it is actually backed up in my case, but I am arguing the principle of how the "benefits" of cloud storage fail to address this issue .
Why would anyone trust a cloud to keep your homemade content without backup?
To me, it should have already been shared with the family.
Let's see flash drives and memory cards are fairly cheap. There is also Facebook which allows sharing. Google drive which allows sharing.
Not sure where else allows sharing.
Or you could make physical copies and hide them in a closet for your relatives to find in later years and say wish Grandpa Stump had let us know who these people were.
Teasing on the last part.
You keep hubby's first wife's pictures in your closet for over 20 years until a relative wants them. (Note I didn't say ex)
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2017, 12:42 AM   #78
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
[QUOTE=Cinisajoy;3548929]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Why would anyone trust a cloud to keep your homemade content without backup?
To me, it should have already been shared with the family.

)
IN our case it has been, I am just arguing the principle. [ I bought a cheap-ish PC for my son, added a big data drive, put on the entirety of the home video DVD rips. and photos... in addition to the in-house copies ]

Nowhere in the "benefits" of cloud storage - from any of the big players " is there a "by the way it all dies with you" reminder

its a bit like paying for rent-a-store or whatever those things are called, being given a PIN for the physical door lock, which you failed to pass on, and the family then get told , you can't have access to that stuff - we are going to open it up & trash the contents while you are not looking....
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #79
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
The spin in here is strong..

"Why would you trust a cloud less than a harddrive that could fail on you?"

What kind of a sidetracking question is that? And what if a fire broke out, and your library burnt away? Would you therefore ask the state to take your rights as a citizen away from you and own your books on your behalf, because you couldnt do a simple thing such as do your own backup, or upload the files at any cloud storage flogger, that doesnt also want to own the concept of "the future book"? (#kfx, ecosystem lock in, ...)

If you don't know, here is how it went down. Way back when, in the beginnings, big companies went to the state and held up their case, that the internet (nextbigthingTM) allowed them to scale SO MUCH, that they couldnt be bothered with personal support (thats the internet structure thing, where on youtube you are guilty until proven innocent, if someone wants to take down your video), or legal litigation. Because, and that was the argument - if even a tiny percentage of those "users" sued the company - much of their running capital would be tied up in lawsuites.

So they made schemes legal, where they take away all your rights to any of the goods or services you are still imagining to buy. And while they were at it, they made sure to make culture (what happens to a book, or a record, after you buy it - when it circulates) a corporate only thing as well. Something that only exists in their silos, and you can buy a right to look at, or listen to. For a contractually defined period of time. If your account with them is still valid, which of course they can terminate for no reasons, because - thats what contracts for millenials look like.

Thats what the streaming ecosystem is all about. And to the guy that wanted to express, that you can't do that (remove DRM) with Netflix - guess what, I know, that was the idea from the beginning, and thats part of my case for why it is so important that this doesnt happen to books.

Thankfully Amazon has managed to make the Kindle so uncool (and rightfully so - because their corporate "content policies" were so outrageous), that nowadays people feel the need to excuse themselves in public, when they read on a Kindle in any circumstance other than on a vacation.

The idea to take the concept of a book, and put it behind their walled garden, and their proprietary "book" format exclusively, was not even a remote success, anywhere but in the US. (Dont ask why.. )

So I can now laugh it off, but what I can not laugh off, is the education level people ultimately got on what they were buying in the first place. "Something thats neatly backed up in the cloud, without you haveing to think about preservation?" Sure. But also something you never owned never had any rights to, never existed anywhere but in that magic place, where you are registered and logged in on a corporate terminal...

You know... a book.

Let me end again with "rights are important", because otherwise the notion of convenance as something "the corporation brought" will be used to lull you into thinking that you pay for that actually - but of course you don't.

Company has to keep a copy of the digital wares they sell anyhow, so they dont do you a favor by being your personal cloud backup provider, because they arent. Its just part of the technological progress that allowed them to cut operating costs by 1000%, and that a marketing guy came up selling you as "you always have a backup in the cloud - so thats worth paying for on your end...".

Why?

1. Microsoft is shifting over to that business model, scaling down and discarding their sales force left an right.
2. Every mom and pa bookstore was able to come up with their own ebook cloud, and manage it sufficiently. (What happened there was, that rightsholders didnt want to deal with it on that level, so the made holdings and then sublicensed to independant bookstores)
3. Amazon deleted books out of "your cloud", when they felt, they could be legally preassured to pay some licensing fees, you know - the backup solution of your dreams...

I never imagined that I'd have to explain to an American the actual benefits of property...

Last edited by notimp; 07-07-2017 at 10:52 AM.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #80
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
"Convenience in digital distribution" is basically the glass pearls market of the 21th century. It costs absolutely nothing to produce - but corp has convinced their customers, that they need to buy it, because thats the progress they were always missing out on.

Shiny.

Now with cloud backup.

edit: As to the people who are uploading their home made stuff to Amazons cloud storage, without paying for cloud storage. (But I have Prime, does that count? No.) I'm sure you have no actionable rights to that stuff as soon as the datastream leaves your PC.

And they make sure they dont encrypt it, so they can harvest your personal stuff like photos, etc. as well - because the business model we are talking about here is not cloud storage, but training algorithms on big data sets - thats why they are willing to give away storage to you for free.

Otherwise they could be held liable for when they loose your data, which is much too costly to give away to your customers, you only sell "books" to, because ultimately you want them to end up paying for Amazon Prime and buy their groceries from you..

The same way you go to a museum and expect to be sold your toilet paper there. Corporatized culture, what else do you have to say..

Last edited by notimp; 07-07-2017 at 11:13 AM.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #81
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
The spin in here is strong..
And I liked your previous post. But now you're going too far, attributing motives to corporations that just aren't true, IMO.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #82
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Hard copies of movies--DVDs--are your best bet. The problem is your kids/grandkids probably won't want them, may not even own a DVD player. Though perhaps one day DVDs and CDs might make a comeback like vinyl
It is rolling the dice "buying" digital as anything can happen to these companies down the road and digital content will be lost. That may be the best thing that could happen. A big company goes belly up and millions of dollars worth of content disappears and consumers wake up to the reality of the problem. Except it doesn't even have to come to that, hackers could merely take over a big company's servers and either destroy or hold hostage everyone's content.
And then there is nonsense like this:
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/reclaim-f...163742946.html
And this:
https://lifehacker.com/near-unlimite...tti-1756413619
And this one really stung:
https://betanews.com/2012/08/20/your...ion-has-ended/
You never know what these companies may do. It is bad to be at their mercy.

Last edited by Conan46; 07-07-2017 at 11:38 AM. Reason: added other examples
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #83
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
Hard copies of movies--DVDs--are your best bet. The problem is your kids/grandkids probably won't want them, may not even own a DVD player. Though perhaps one day DVDs and CDs might make a comeback like vinyl
It is rolling the dice "buying" digital as anything can happen to these companies down the road and digital content will be lost. That may be the best thing that could happen. A big company goes belly up and millions of dollars worth of content disappears and consumers wake up to the reality of the problem. Except it doesn't even have to come to that, hackers could merely take over a big company's servers and either destroy or hold hostage everyone's content.
And then there is nonsense like this:
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/reclaim-f...163742946.html
You never know what these companies may do. It is bad to be at the mercy of these companies.
If they own a Playstation or Xbox, they own a player lol.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #84
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
- - - -
Except it doesn't even have to come to that, hackers could merely take over a big company's servers and either destroy or hold hostage everyone's content.
- - - -
In news slightly more recent than your links . . .

Ransomware has taken a recent, significant, hit:
https://betanews.com/2017/07/07/pety...sal-decryptor/
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #85
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
If they own a Playstation or Xbox, they own a player lol.
True, the gamers are safe
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #86
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It is real hard to put a little printed label on the inside cover of an e-book.
Yep. But mostly I wanted to say I enjoy your picture of Joe Btfsplk. I haven't seen him in years and years.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:11 PM   #87
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Third - remove DRM, make it a good instead of an access license,..[/I]
for books and music, OK, BUT that is not possible with Amazon Video purchases.
I guess for me it's less bothersome with videos than with books. We can buy videos on DVD if we want to and then it's simple to remove the DRM. But I watch Prime videos and Netflix videos and sometimes rent a video from Amazon and that feels like a rental, not a purchase. I was renting movies long before streaming came along. Or watching them in theaters or on TV with no sense of ownership.

Books are different. We always bought books. We're used to the freedom to lend books and sell them after we've bought them. It's hard not to resent having the suppliers try to take that freedom away from us. I grew up being taught to share things and that always included books. That was in the days before it was possible to share movies.

I'm not sure these are valid logical distinctions but they certainly feel valid and sometimes it's how things feel that matter.

Barry
Old 07-08-2017, 05:28 AM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The idea to take the concept of a book, and put it behind their walled garden, and their proprietary "book" format exclusively, was not even a remote success, anywhere but in the US. (Dont ask why.. )
What utter nonsense. Are you really unaware that Amazon completely dominate the UK ebook market?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #89
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Thankfully Amazon has managed to make the Kindle so uncool (and rightfully so - because their corporate "content policies" were so outrageous), that nowadays people feel the need to excuse themselves in public, when they read on a Kindle in any circumstance other than on a vacation.
Nonsense.

Quote:
Amazon deleted books out of "your cloud", when they felt, they could be legally preassured to pay some licensing fees, you know - the backup solution of your dreams...
Is this a reference to that ONE time an ebook was sold by someone who didn't have the right to do so? Didn't Amazon pay everyone $30 for their trouble, and also promise to not remove a book from user's devices if it happened again?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #90
barryem
Wizard

This thread has really frightened me. I have so much money invested in Kindle books that when Amazon goes under soon, which they must if they've been such a failure, I'll lose it all.

And I have 4 Kindles and I never knew to apologize for reading a book on one of them. I guess I'll have to start doing that now. I'm curious what the reaction will be when I walk by strangers while reading and tell them I'm sorry that I'm reading on a Kindle. Hmmm...maybe it'll get me some free rent.

Barry