Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Bought a Refurbed PW2 from Woot, some questions

I bought a refurbed PW2 from Woot as described in the following post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=288762

It was delivered in 2.5 days and looks brand new. In spite of the Woot description that said the box would be marked "Used-Good", the box was marked "Refurbished".

Overall, I'm pretty pleased, the text is sharp and clear, roughly as sharp and clear as my Sony PRS300. And the device appears to handle graphics better than that old Sony which could only display 4 shades of gray.

However I see a very minor discrepancy that I don't know how to evaluate. On the reading screen, at the very bottom, I see VERY light grayish fog in 4 hemispheres, it is so light that I do not find it disturbing or distracting, but I DO wonder if it is something I should worry about?

Also, this device came 'With Offers', What should the advertisements look like? Are they full page ads? All I see, is a tiny 1/2 inch strip at the bottom where those foggy areas are, that says to find my books in the Kindle ebook store. Is THAT the ad? Will it change from time to time?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post

It was delivered in 2.5 days and looks brand new. In spite of the Woot description that said the box would be marked "Used-Good", the box was marked "Refurbished".

Overall, I'm pretty pleased, the text is sharp and clear, roughly as sharp and clear as my Sony PRS300. And the device appears to handle graphics better than that old Sony which could only display 4 shades of gray.

However I see a very minor discrepancy that I don't know how to evaluate. On the reading screen, at the very bottom, I see VERY light grayish fog in 4 hemispheres, it is so light that I do not find it disturbing or distracting, but I DO wonder if it is something I should worry about?

Also, this device came 'With Offers', What should the advertisements look like? Are they full page ads? All I see, is a tiny 1/2 inch strip at the bottom where those foggy areas are, that says to find my books in the Kindle ebook store. Is THAT the ad? Will it change from time to time?
You shouldn't worry about those "shadows," if you look at a disassembled kindle, you will see the layout of the LEDS match up with that, and its just the nature of the materials they use.

The special offers are what you see if you lock the screen, instead of regular wallpapers.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

Yes, that is the ad. Yes it will change. Now it will be full screen when the device is sleeping.
But as soon as you turn on the PW the ad goes to the bottom.
The ad is not in the books, just on the homescreen.

Now can I be nosy and ask for firmware (build).
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
That banner on the homepage is what the offers are. And the sleep screens will be the ads. That is the only place they will show up. They will rotate. It takes a while for them to populate and of course they need wifi to be on for that.

You can click on the banner add, or the sleep add and go to to it if you want. Then its full screen.

You can also pay $20 on your account to have them be gone. I have a couple of kindles that still have them and other that don't. They never really bothered me overall, but I wanted a quick way to get to my text on my Oasis and Voyage.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
You shouldn't worry about those "shadows," if you look at a disassembled kindle, you will see the layout of the LEDS match up with that, and its just the nature of the materials they use.

The special offers are what you see if you lock the screen, instead of regular wallpapers.
Ahh! Thanks! I wondered it those shadows were some sort of lighting artifact! And the only way I can figure out how to see the offers is if I use the drop down menu is to specifically select for Amazon to show them to me. If THAT's how Amazon continues to handle the ads, I can very much live with that!
Advert
Old 07-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Yes, that is the ad. Yes it will change. Now it will be full screen when the device is sleeping.
But as soon as you turn on the PW the ad goes to the bottom.
The ad is not in the books, just on the homescreen.

Now can I be nosy and ask for firmware (build).
Firmware version 5.7.4 (It's well hidden!)
Old 07-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ahh! Thanks! I wondered it those shadows were some sort of lighting artifact! And the only way I can figure out how to see the offers is if I use the drop down menu is to specifically select for Amazon to show them to me. If THAT's how Amazon continues to handle the ads, I can very much live with that!
You can also physically touch the banner and it will go to the ad, but it is easy not to do that.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Firmware version 5.7.4 (It's well hidden!)
Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Device Info

The 5.8.x firmware series has an improved menu layout that is actual easy to use.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #9
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Device Info

The 5.8.x firmware series has an improved menu layout that is actual easy to use.
The "Update Your Kindle" option is grayed out. Is 5.7.4 the last version available for PW2?
Old 07-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
The "Update Your Kindle" option is grayed out. Is 5.7.4 the last version available for PW2?
Under what conditions is UYK grayed out ?
What had you put on the Kindle at the visible root of USB storage when you checked it?

Go to:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

Scroll towards bottom of that post, all the way to Step #7.
At the bottom of Step #7 find a spoiler in the "Amazon" section:
Open spoiler - read list of PW2 download links.

Note:
There are also newer versions for the PW2 - that list is only of the versions that can be jail broken.

Note:
Step #7 also describes the folder name you can add to the Kindle to stop it from OTA updating without your approval.

Note:
Nothing else of that post, other than those two details of Step #7, is of any interest to you - unless you intend to use any of our after market add-ins.

Last edited by knc1; 07-21-2017 at 04:01 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The latest version is currently 5.8.10. If you leave it connected to WiFi it will download and install eventually. If you are impatient you can download and install it yourself from here. If you want to jailbreak your Kindle you should do so before it updates.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #12
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The latest version is currently 5.8.10. If you leave it connected to WiFi it will download and install eventually. If you are impatient you can download and install it yourself from here. If you want to jailbreak your Kindle you should do so before it updates.
Thanks guys, I think I can wait for an auto update, I've only had the thing 4 hours. Besides, this level of OS is plenty cool to me!
Old 07-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks guys, I think I can wait for an auto update, I've only had the thing 4 hours. Besides, this level of OS is plenty cool to me!
In order to wait, you have to have WiFi on and that does gives you noticeably decreased battery life between charges.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In order to wait, you have to have WiFi on and that does gives you noticeably decreased battery life between charges.
If he is worried about the battery, I bet he knows how to plug it in.
Or he may already have it charging for its initial voyage into his reading collection.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:21 PM   #15
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
If he is worried about the battery, I bet he knows how to plug it in.
Or he may already have it charging for its initial voyage into his reading collection.
Already I can see the battery life is superior to that of my Lenovo Tablet and my Galaxy S5, which I had been doing most of my reading on. Besides, easily, 90-95% of my reading is at home.