Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

Waterstones showing some UK digital content

For all the UK people out there

content is starting to appear on www.waterstones.com....

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=6409350

Looks like its Adobe Digital Editions format

Mark
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
fi79
fi79 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I have to say - I'm pretty disappointed. As a US importer I've been waiting for this to give me more choice and make the process a bit easier. They've been hyping up that they're going to have 25,000 books available including things like "The Book Thief" so I have to say when I logged on and found 1, yes ONE, poxy book I was kind of let down. Poor show.
fi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

its not launched until tomorrow .... i suspect this is a test book
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
fi79
fi79 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
:Thought it was the third. Apologies to Waterstones - had a c**ppy day at work and have vented my spleen without getting my facts straight. I shall now slink off shame-faced and pour myself a large glass of wine to get over the embarrassment.
fi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
Looks like they're gradually bringing that part of the site online

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...e.do?ctx=10030
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fi79 View Post
:Thought it was the third. Apologies to Waterstones - had a c**ppy day at work and have vented my spleen without getting my facts straight. I shall now slink off shame-faced and pour myself a large glass of wine to get over the embarrassment.
- never mind, we've all been there.

The wine's a good idea though .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

I'm guessing the content isn't going to be all Adobe though. That would be a bit odd.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #8
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I really hope they do lrf's, lit etc as well as epub, as from what I hear, the epub is not as great as expected..................

Just noticed though that the pricing looks hopeful This book is in HB only at present for £12.74 and ebook for £7.65.........not bad....now lets hope PB get the same saving....

Are epub's as good as LRF's in appearance???? Heard some negative stuff about them so far.

Last edited by babyd; 09-03-2008 at 04:00 PM.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
abradburne
abradburne began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Looks promising that it's integrated into their site, not just through the Connect application - the less I have to run that, the better

"And from midday, Thursday 4th September you'll be able to download eBooks for your Reader." just appeared too. Guess that give me a few hours of playing with it before the full site comes online. Can't wait.

It's been great lurking here, can't wait to get my mitts my 505 tomorrow morning!
abradburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
TetraKM
Connoisseur
TetraKM doesn't litterTetraKM doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
I too hope to pick up my new shiny tomorrow

I have ordered it but I only live near a small store and the web site says (worryingly) that onmly selected stores will be selling it.....

I hope as I have ordered it it will be there...as expected.
TetraKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:04 AM   #11
Flub
Groupie

The categories all have books in them now. All needing Adobe digital editions (Why no LRX?) and every one I've checked more expensive than buying from Amazon.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:15 AM   #12
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Yeah, I've been browsing this morning. Price wise pretty dire.......... Also a very annoying thing of having book 2 of a series but no book 1 !!! Ah well, we could only hope ......... I was hoping they would have more formats too....
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:41 AM   #13
richyhu
Enthusiast
richyhu is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue), PRS-700, PRS-T1 (Black)
Well I bit the bullet and purchased a book just to see how it worked. After check out you are prompted to download an ebx file which you should just run directly - this then opens Digital Editions which actually authorizes the content and downloads the epub book. You can then transfer to the Reader. I could also import the ePub file into Connect.
richyhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:05 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Their prices seem to be typically double those of Fictionwise or BoB.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:08 AM   #15
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flub View Post
The categories all have books in them now. All needing Adobe digital editions (Why no LRX?) and every one I've checked more expensive than buying from Amazon.
Only ADE? ADE doesn't work on the PRS 500 does it?
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote