Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Buying direct from amazon vs buying from a local electronics store

Assuming that the price I would pay for a kindle directly from amazon is equal to the price that I would pay if I bought from a local electronics store, what are the advantages of ordering directly from amazon?

My local electronics store tells me that they have the new basic and Paper White in stock and can put it in my hands as soon as I walk through the doors, it would take amazon at least a week to get it to me.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
IMO, the biggest reason to buy directly from Amazon is their 30 day return no questions asked policy. So you can use the device for a while, and if you find you don't really like it you can simply return it. This is true in the U.S. anyway, not sure about elsewhere.

The only other advantage I can think of (and it's fairly trivial) is that if you buy from Amazon, your reader will come pre-registered to your Amazon account.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Not having to go there, look for the item, stand in line, or interact with their employees. All advantages for me.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Amazon has a copy of your receipt when warranty issues come up
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #5
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
No tax?
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2014, 03:15 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
No tax?
Not the situation everywhere.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:11 AM   #7
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
No tax?
No such luck. $19.31 in taxes for Amazon to deliver the Voyage/origami cover to New Jersey
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
IMO, the biggest reason to buy directly from Amazon is their 30 day return no questions asked policy. So you can use the device for a while, and if you find you don't really like it you can simply return it. This is true in the U.S. anyway, not sure about elsewhere.
Unless the item is defective, Amazon will charge you for return shipping costs.

Quote:
Return Shipping Costs
If you return an item using the return label provided in the Online Returns Center, and the reason for return is not a result of an Amazon.com error, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund. If you choose the U.S. Postal Service option, the amount that will be deducted from your refund is displayed. If you choose the self return option, you'll pay the cost charged by the carrier selected.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Unless the item is defective, Amazon will charge you for return shipping costs.
Yes but the return postage cost is a small pirce to pay for the chance to evaluate the ereader.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Yes but the return postage cost is a small pirce to pay for the chance to evaluate the ereader.
Take care if you are just "buying to evaluate"; Amazon have been known to close the accounts of people who repeatedly buy and return products - ie people who are obviously using Amazon just to "evaluate" products with no intention of keeping them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
My point is to make sure that people are aware of the policy. It becomes another factor to consider.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #12
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
For me personally, there is no real advantage to buying directly from Amazon. I have to pay the sales tax, and if I don't like the item, I'd still have to pay for the return shipping.
I prefer to spend my money locally if I can. Most stores have a return policy of 14 -30 days. I get 45 days at Best Buy since I'm an Elite Plus customer.

Having said all of that, this is the first time I've ordered a tablet or e-ink reader directly from Amazon. I was offered the five payment plan, so I took it.

I've bought several Kindles and Paperwhites as gifts from Best Buy and Staples. I've never had a problem with them.

I'd buy locally, especially to avoid the wait.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Take care if you are just "buying to evaluate"; Amazon have been known to close the accounts of people who repeatedly buy and return products - ie people who are obviously using Amazon just to "evaluate" products with no intention of keeping them.
I never just order to evaluate, I want the Voyage, it will only go back if I don't think its worth the money, or have issues with the page press buttons as there position is where I hold the kindle anyway.

If it does go back i'll order a PW2 wifi as I want hubby to have my 6 month old PW2 3G as he gets all his books from Amazon, I don't so the 3G is not much use to me.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My 1st k Fire HD I got at Radio Shack Also got 3-$10 coupons My 2nd I got from a lady that purchased hers from B.Buy...she paid $200 I paid her $130 She never opened the box so Both warrenty started when I reg them to my account. I still received the same Great CS on Both inc was told I could return them to Amazon within 30 days if I didn't like them. So I see no differences in going thru Amazon or to a B&M store. & in Both cases I got to open the boxes & exam them before I purchased them.

BTW the 1st K3 I got from Amazon I had to Pay S&H the 2nd I had to Pay Taxes + S&H So I ask Where was I saving anything??
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
My local electronics store tells me that they have the new basic and Paper White in stock and can put it in my hands as soon as I walk through the doors, it would take amazon at least a week to get it to me.
If it were me, I would just go with my "local electronics store" -- in my case Best Buy, right up the road.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote