Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
inourstars
inourstars began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Are files not saved on the internal micro sd that comes inside the kobo?

Today my friend broke the screen on my original Kobo, and I went out and bought a Kobo Touch to replace it. However, I don't have most of the .pdfs and .epubs of the files that I had on my original Kobo. I took my original apart and removed the micro SD, but when I put it into my computer it tells me the disk isn't formatted and there's nothing on it. What's the deal? Does the Kobo not save anything to the micro SD? How can I get my files back from the original Kobo? I wouldn't mind having the 100 free classics that came with it either, I was enjoying working my way through them. Is it even possible to get my files back, or should I just give up?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
inourstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
allan175
allan175 began at the beginning.

Assuming you are running Windows on your computer you could try plugging it into a Linux machine instead. Not sure what the card will have been formatted as but it's probably a Linux format (ext3/4 or something).
allan175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Did you try plugging the original Kobo into your computer? Just because the screen broke doesn't mean that the device might not be able to communicate with the computer (unless by "broke the screen" you mean "smashed the he*l out of"). My original Palm Personal organizer fell off a moving vehicle at 60MPH and was still able to sync back to a computer so I could load it's data onto a replacement.
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by inourstars View Post
...Does the Kobo not save anything to the micro SD? How can I get my files back from the original Kobo? I wouldn't mind having the 100 free classics that came with it either, I was enjoying working my way through them. Is it even possible to get my files back, or should I just give up?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
1) No the "Kobo" does not save anything to the SD card, UNLESS you yourself sideloaded the books to it either via Calibre, Windows Explorer or Linux equivelent.

2) Try what the others here have suggested, plug the Kobo into the computer unless it is totally borked. I'm assuming that only the screen is just broken. If the computer can still recognize it you then should be able to remove the books off of it and onto your SD card.

You will not be able the recover any books synched with the Kobo software as these are in Kepub format and not epubs per say. These will need to be resynched via the Kobo Desktop software... Regarding the free 100 books... well the KT does not come with them as far as I remember and I don't believe they can be synched back with the desktop software.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
inourstars
inourstars began at the beginning.

1) No the "Kobo" does not save anything to the SD card, UNLESS you yourself sideloaded the books to it either via Calibre, Windows Explorer or Linux equivelent.

I put all of the books onto my kobo using Calibre so I was surprised when I couldn't find anything, I had always assumed books saved to the internal SD. If they don't, where on earth is the Kobo saving them to? Is there another memory system I'm unaware of?
inourstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by inourstars View Post
...I had always assumed books saved to the internal SD. If they don't, where on earth is the Kobo saving them to? Is there another memory system I'm unaware of?
Ahhhh. Sorry I missed that part where you took out the internal SD card. I just read it as took out the SD card, thinking you meant you had one plugged in to your Kobo. That's a different kettle of fish then.

As allan175 said it will most likely be an ext3 formatted card, Windows is most likely able to read it due to the Kobo driver but trying to read the card directly in a windows machine most likely won't work as you found out. You could install a something like virtual box and install something like Ubuntu on it and then try and read the card. If you sideloaded the books with Calibre like you said then yes they should be on that card.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
BensonBear
Enthusiast
BensonBear began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
As allan175 said it will most likely be an ext3 formatted card, Windows is most likely able to read it due to the Kobo driver but trying to read the card directly in a windows machine most likely won't work as you found out.
I don't think this is the problem. Since Linux can easily read vfat file systems why would Kobo bother to format the drive in ext3 and then add extra strange code to simulate a vfat file system within an ext3 system? The real issue is probably the fact that the flash drive is formatted with multiple partitions. I don't use Windows but I gather that Windows cannot deal with drives that have more than one partition on them.

Quote:
You could install a something like virtual box and install something like Ubuntu on it and then try and read the card.card.
More likely, you can find a small utility that allows Windows to deal with multiply partitioned drives and then it will work just fine. Apparently Lexar has such a utility, that makes Windows treat the flash drive as non-removable storage, and then you can deal with multiple partitions.

Here is a link: http://www.ehow.com/how_5982304_part...lash-card.html This tells how to format with multiple partitions, but hopefully you can just flip the non-removable bit and get at the partitions already there. (Make sure you don't do step 7, in other words!)
BensonBear is offline   Reply With Quote