Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
jkp
jkp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
format conversion

how do i read a kobo ebook on my kindle3? i know i can send it to kindle.com and ask them to convert it to the kindle format. but i don't know how to email the ebook to kindle.com.
jkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Most (if not all) books from kobo are going to have DRM, and thus not be convertible. I don't think the Amazon service converts from ePub to Kindle format, anyway. Calibre can do it, but you'd have to remove the DRM first. I understand that there is a plug-in for Calibre to do this.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 03:03 AM   #3
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Welcome to MobileRead, jkp.

susan_cassidy is right - you won't be able to read any non-Amazon ebooks if they have Digital Rights Management (DRM) encryption, and the "email a document to your Kindle" facility will only handle some file types - EPUB isn't one of them.

It's against the policies of these forums to provide details of how to remove DRM from ebooks, as that might be illegal in some countries. For more information on DRM, look for Apprentice Alf's Blog.

Calibre is an excellent ebook management application which can also convert ebooks which don't have DRM from one format to another - you'll find lots of information about it in the Calibre forum here on MobileRead.

To email documents to your Kindle, you need to have registered your Kindle to your Amazon account. You can then go to your "Manage My Kindle" page on the Amazon website, where you'll find details of your Kindle's email address. If you've already registered your Kindle, you'll also find its email address listed in your Kindle's settings (Menu - Settings).

Hope that helps!
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
jkp
jkp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
thank you very much, Donna and Susan. i tried to email the epub version to amazon.com. they bounced it back to me not-converted. Donna, i will check the the blog you mentioned and see if i can learn more. i will also check out calibre. there's sure lots to learn. i like the kindle3. but i don't want to be locked up to only buy books from amazon.com and only in us$.

thanks for all your help. if anybody else has more suggestions, i would love to hear it and learn. thanks again.
jkp is offline   Reply With Quote