Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #16
Forbid
Probably Procrastinating
Forbid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
I just finished installing the update about 20 minutes ago and I like it. The page numbers are nice for the books that I'm using in class.

I could be mistaken, but the Kindle seems a little snappier at moving around and opening books as well. In fact I just gave the web browser a spin and even that feels like it's loading faster. I guess it could just be a placebo effect, but it sure seems like it's snappier.
Forbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #17
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbid View Post
I could be mistaken, but the Kindle seems a little snappier at moving around and opening books as well. In fact I just gave the web browser a spin and even that feels like it's loading faster. I guess it could just be a placebo effect, but it sure seems like it's snappier.
They have changed the browser and reader along with a few other parts in 3.1 so it may not be a placebo effect.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #18
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
I thought it was faster too, but didn't want to say anything, in case it was my imagination.

BTW, I also noticed that it takes quite a bit of time before the page number data for all your books is sync'd up. I have a little over 400 books on my Kindle, and it's still checking in and grabbing more page data on and off. It's been 30 minutes at least.

So keep your wireless on awhile after you do the [Home] -> [Menu] -> [Sync & Check for new items] ...
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #19
Forbid
Probably Procrastinating
Forbid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
They have changed the browser and reader along with a few other parts in 3.1 so it may not be a placebo effect.
Well all the more reason I like it!

Also, I forgot to mention that I had the screensaver hack installed and it is still working just fine. I do not have the font hack though so I can't comment on that one.
Forbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #20
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
Installing now...Ill report any issues.
So I think I may have found something. I purchased a bunch of free books through Amazon and they are presently on my Kindle. For past free books I used to remove them off the device to just have them in the archive (cloud) and download them as I delete them. Well now I try to remove them they just stay grayed out and do not delete. Can someone else try this? I did buy the books before I upgraded the firmware so I wonder...
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #21
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
So I think I may have found something. I purchased a bunch of free books through Amazon and they are presently on my Kindle. For past free books I used to remove them off the device to just have them in the archive (cloud) and download them as I delete them. Well now I try to remove them they just stay grayed out and do not delete. Can someone else try this? I did buy the books before I upgraded the firmware so I wonder...
I just tested it with two books, and it worked fine.

(One was a book I had previously bought and downloaded from Amazon, and the other I got from here and sideloaded.)
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #22
luvmy4brats
Connoisseur
luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle
My screensaver hack stopped working after the update. It updated just fine with the jailbreak/hack on there, but I'm back to dead authors and can't get them working again.
luvmy4brats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 PM   #23
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Ahh Amazon is downloading a new file for each book called an .apnx. Amazon Page Number... Something. It's in the Documents folder just like the .mbp file. 2-4kb each. Something is also appearing called an .ea file? They aren't there for all my books yet.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #24
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbid View Post
Well all the more reason I like it!

Also, I forgot to mention that I had the screensaver hack installed and it is still working just fine. I do not have the font hack though so I can't comment on that one.
Hi, did you uninstall the hacks before installing the new firmware?
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #25
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Do NOT install 3.1 if you want to install any hacks. They've altered the way it checks for a valid update now and it specifically only uses the two Amazon key files instead of any installed key file.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #26
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, breaks both the jailbreak install on a vanilla (ie. unhacked) Kindle, *and* hacks install/uninstall on a previously jailbroken Kindle.

Can't say if it breaks the Fonts/SS hacks, since I haven't actually installed it yet, but since you won't be (easily) able to uninstall any hack, I'd recommend *not* doing this update on a hacked Kindle/if you care about being able to easily install/remove hacks.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:18 AM   #27
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I got lucky, the screensavers are still there. I wonder though, if they will still be there if i restart it. I waited until some brave soul said the hacks still worked but apparently it is all a bit random..and it isn't as though I get page numbers because all my files are mobi anyway.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #28
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I got lucky, the screensavers are still there. I wonder though, if they will still be there if i restart it. I waited until some brave soul said the hacks still worked but apparently it is all a bit random..
If your hacks work after installing 3.1 then should continue to work after restarting. Its just jailbreaking and installing/uninstalling hacks that is broken at this time.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 AM   #29
Ritter95
Ritter95 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Anything in this firmware concerning PDF reading?
Ritter95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 AM   #30
pietro99
Connoisseur
pietro99 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
After updating and restarting I then changed my screen-savers and restarted again, and it's still fine.
pietro99 is offline   Reply With Quote