Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
littlewoodenguy
littlewoodenguy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Kindle wifi converted to 3g

Hi everyone,

I have a kindle wifi and a kindle wifi/3g that has been eaten by a dog. I opened the wifi/3g kindle and the 3g modem and sim card are undamaged, so I was wondering if I could put them in my wifi kindle and get 3g working? Any thoughts?

Thanks
littlewoodenguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
No idea but the WiFi Kindle has a serial number that Amazon doesn't have listed as a 3G Kindle. So I'm kind of doubtful that even if you get everything connected properly, you'll be able to establish Whispernet over the 3G. WiFi Kindles and 3G Kindles have different coding on the serial numbers B006___ and B008___ I think.

If it were me and I didn't mind the risk of having two destroyed and worthless Kindles. I'd be more apt to tear apart the WiFi Kindle and replace the chewed up parts on the 3G.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
What abookreader said. Amazon will see a WiFi only Kindle on Whispernet and the servers probably won't like that. I've not heard of anybody trying this before so you're breaking new ground on this one.

Does your K3 WiFi have the 3G modem socket + SIM holder? I've seen several sets of internal photos of the WiFi only models and not all of them have those components fitted. The only K3 WiFi I looked at didn't have either socket and there may have been some passive components missing around that area as well. I didn't have a K3 3G+WiFi model nearby to compare for those small components.

If you do manage to fit the 3G card into a K3 WiFi, please post back with your results. Thanks.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
littlewoodenguy

hmmm

so you guys think the kindle identifies itself by serial number on the network? that makes sense I suppose - I was hoping the sim card and the fact it was kindle would be enough.

I haven't opened my kindle wifi yet but from what I could find on the web it looked like the wifi has the same motherboard with the modem jack and the sim card slot. The only tricky bit hardware wise is that the 3g antenna is a sticker and would have to peeled off in one piece.

I'll have to think more about it...
Old 02-04-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
littlewoodenguy

oh and does anyone have any idea where the serial number would be stored? The motherboard in the wifi/3g is chewed up and won't work, but if the serial is stored in some removable part I could maybe transfer that as well.
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Another reason why this probably wouldn't work is that you will have the wifi only firmware which I doubt has the drivers and scripts necessary to run the 3g card.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Have you tried contacting Amazon for a replacement? They might be be able to help you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Another reason why this probably wouldn't work is that you will have the wifi only firmware which I doubt has the drivers and scripts necessary to run the 3g card.
The firmware is the same for both models. I never bothered to look at how it knows it is a 3G+WiFi model instead of a WiFi only model though. If it is checking the serial number to determine this then its going to take more than fitting the modem to upgrade it to a 3G+WiFi.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewoodenguy View Post
so you guys think the kindle identifies itself by serial number on the network? that makes sense I suppose - I was hoping the sim card and the fact it was kindle would be enough.
The Kindle sends the serial number to the Whispernet servers. The IMSI inside the SIM determines whether you get cell service but isn't used for the actual communication with Amazon.

Quote:
I haven't opened my kindle wifi yet but from what I could find on the web it looked like the wifi has the same motherboard with the modem jack and the sim card slot.
Not all (or only some?) K3 WiFi units have the socket for the 3G modem or the SIM card holder.

Quote:
The only tricky bit hardware wise is that the 3g antenna is a sticker and would have to peeled off in one piece.
You should be able to remove it carefully. It looks like its regular PFC material like Kapton which means its reasonably resistant against breaking.

Quote:
oh and does anyone have any idea where the serial number would be stored? The motherboard in the wifi/3g is chewed up and won't work, but if the serial is stored in some removable part I could maybe transfer that as well.
Flash soldered onto the board. Its not removable.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:27 AM   #10
littlewoodenguy

:/

Thanks for the input! I agree that it sounds pretty unlikely to work also because amazon blacklists kindles by serial number so that is probably the way it's identified on the network. it's too bad since I've already paid the premium for the cell service and now can't use it, but I can't expect amazon to cover every situation. it would be nice if amazon would sell me a kindle 3g for the price of a wifi

I still might try it just for kicks but I think I'll wait a couple of weeks at least - I'll definitely post back and let you guys know what happens if I go through with it.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Have you called Amazon CS and talked to them?

There have been loads of stories on replacement Kindles for free or at least at a discount.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I asked the OP the same question a few posts back but didn't get a response.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #13
littlewoodenguy

Amazon CS

No I haven't but that is a good idea, I think I will
Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
No I haven't but that is a good idea, I think I will
What did Amazon CS have to say?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
littlewoodenguy

So I went ahead and contacted kindle CS (like I should have from the start - I didn't realize they were soooo good) and they agreed to send me a new kindle 3G for $72! which is more than fair and more than I expected