Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Books you would love to buy but can't....

My impression is that this is a problem more for people not in the US than those in the US, but I could be wrong.

It is frustrating that I cannot buy the books I want although I know these exist and are available outside the US. Case in point:

"Between the Strokes of Night" by Charles Sheffield
"Excession" by Iain M. Banks

These two are not available anywhere as ebooks in the US (Amazon, Baen, etc)

There are a few others but those two come mind. Anyway, what books would you love to buy but are denied?
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Open Road Media publications. Often the UK rights are owned by Gollancz who rarely discount (and don't permit ORM to discount), but even if there is no UK rights holder then I still can't purchase the title.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Open Road Media publications. Often the UK rights are owned by Gollancz who rarely discount (and don't permit ORM to discount), but even if there is no UK rights holder then I still can't purchase the title.
Most of the UK “SF Gateway” (Gollancz) books aren’t available in the US due to the fact that US rights are held by a different publisher.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:15 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
My impression is that this is a problem more for people not in the US than those in the US, but I could be wrong.
I actually get the impression that more British books are unavailable in the US than vice versa.

Quote:
"Between the Strokes of Night" by Charles Sheffield
All of Charles Sheffield’s books used to be sold by Baen (I have them). I think they lost the rights when he died. A good reason to always buy books that interest you when you see them - there’s no guarantee they’ll continue to be available. I have every ebook Baen have ever published (I’ve been buying their monthly bundle since 1999, when it started) and I reckon that a good 10% of those books are no longer available for sale.

Quote:
"Excession" by Iain M. Banks
Available from Amazon UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Edgar Pangborn's "Davy". Seems to be out of print, forever.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #6
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
This will shortly be available

Ignition!: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John Drury Clark plus foreword by‎ Isaac Asimov

John D Clark's cult favorite - a history of the first thirty years of rocket propellants - is being reprinted this May by Rutgers University Press.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...eing-reissued/

https://www.amazon.com/Ignition-Info...dp/0813595835/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ignition-In...dp/0813595835/

https://www.amazon.ca/Ignition-Infor...dp/0813595835/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:56 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'd like to buy an e-book of the Canadian literary/horror book The Town That Forgot How to Breathe by Kenneth J. Harvey. It's available at Amazon UK (cheap!), but not available in the US (or Canada, for that matter).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:41 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I think you will see a number of thread lamenting geo restrictions, i.e. books being available as ebooks in one country but not another.

I think that HarryT has the right of it. The good news is that books slowly become available. Both Fiest's books and Eddings books were available in England well before being available in the US.

I have a number of books that were available as ebooks a number of years ago and are no longer available. It's not really what I expect with ebooks, but there you have it. It seems to me that books where the author is dead are more likely to fall in that category than books where the author is still active.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Davy is available on Kobo for NZ purchasers, at least, so still in print. Maybe a geo restriction for you?
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #10
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All of Charles Sheffield’s books used to be sold by Baen (I have them). I think they lost the rights when he died. A good reason to always buy books that interest you when you see them - there’s no guarantee they’ll continue to be available. I have every ebook Baen have ever published (I’ve been buying their monthly bundle since 1999, when it started) and I reckon that a good 10% of those books are no longer available for sale.

I'm still trying to find a way to get my hands on some of the John Dalmas that Baen had and I didn't buy it when they did.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:35 PM   #11
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I actually get the impression that more British books are unavailable in the US than vice versa.

Available from Amazon UK.
I completely agree, i’ve learned to pull the trigger and buy once I have decided I would like to read something because of this. It’s just unfortunate all around. Of course my backlog continues to grow.

It’s one of those “shut up and take my money” situations but no one there to sell. Of course you can buy used pb versions or go to the seedy side of the internet neither of which benefits the author or publisher.

Last edited by TheSmitty; 02-05-2018 at 08:38 PM.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:10 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Another one SF Gateway puts out in the UK and other places, but unfortunately not the US.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #13
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. The original Spanish version is available as an ebook in the US, but not the English translation. It is available from Amazon UK, but not to me.
OddCosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #14
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
The thing about books being unavailable in ebook form is really about waiting. I kept watching for William Humphry's "Home from the Hill" for years and finally it became available and I bought it. I'll bet I checked for that one for 7 or 8 years before it did.

Till a couple of years ago ebooks by John O'Hara, one of the more popular writers of the 50's and 60's weren't available and then over a few months they all were.

One book I have fond memories of reading when it was new was MacKinlay Kantor's "Spirit Lake". I've been trying to find that in ebook form for a couple of decades.

And one of the best selling writers of them all in the 1940's and 1950's, Frank Yerby, the guy who almost single handedly invented the romance novel, wrote a lot of really good historical novels that weren't romance novels. The only ones in ebook format are the few that are novelized stories from the bible. After 20 years of being a writer of so many best sellers he made the foolish mistake of revealing that he was black and now no-one knows his name.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #15
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
I believe Peter S. Beagle is the literary executor for Pangborn's estate. My suspicion is that Beagle's own writing and his own legal issues are impeding any chance of Pangborn's return to publishing. There are a couple of Pangborn's works which did not have the copyright renewed, and are available at Project Gutenberg.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote