Notices

Old 02-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #16
serge
Enthusiast
serge has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
What does this mean, what does it do, and is there an easy way for the non-Linux cognoscenti to do it?
It means that the file
/home/intent/mobipocket.param
also contains information about fonts - you can display it with the command "more" or in an editor. It appears to have been created when mobi viewer was run for the first time. Simply removing it, forces the viewer to forget what font has been previously used.
An easy way would be to include the above commands in Adam's scripts.

If you are asking what the commands do...
cp ...
copies the original file so that a backup is created, just in case.
rm ...
removes the file.
One could have used "mv" (for "move"), but the two step approach is safer. The commands need to by typed in the mrxvt terminal or, via ssh, in a terminal on your desktop/laptop.
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #17
Reini68
Reini68 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Thanks Serge, that did it for me. Worked fine - but Tribble was right, the serif font is even worse. I think I'll stick converting my books to pdf and using 12pt Times New Roman.
Reini68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #18
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
This program switches the font in the Mobipocket viewer to Sans-Serif or Serif (the software default) depending on your choice. It's simple enough to use, you'll need shell access. Unzip, copy, and run.

Let me know if you have any problems or questions.

Note: This has only been tested on an English Language iLiad. I'm not sure what effect (if any) it will have on other languages. Install on others at your own risk.

Edit: Attachment Update. Should fix for those who had problems running the original.
Just tried it - didn't work for me either. btw recently installed the latest upgrade from irex - could that have something to do with it? (I have reinstalled shell access so that's not it)
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
cp /home/intent/mobipocket.param /home/intent/mobipocket.param.bak
rm /home/intent/mobipocket.param

and try again.
I found that I needed to do this, so I added it to Adam's scripts. See the enclosed zip file.

I enclose screenshots from the Sans Serif and the Serif font at two sizes. As usual, if the image seems ragged is has been rescaled by your browser - click on it again to get the full size version.

The Sans Serif fonts appears to be DejaVu Sans, and the Serif font is Bitstream Vera Serif. There is also a Bitstream Vera Sans font, but (based on FBReader) it seems similar, or identical, to DejaVu. One difference is that Vera has a genuine bold face, but I don't think MobiPocket is recognizing anything except "sans" and "serif" for the font.

FBReader can also use the type1 fonts that are installed on the iLiad, but I can't get MobiPocket Reader to recognize these. The font I usually use for FBReader is Nimbus Sans L, but it is a type1 font.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_MP_sans1.png
Views:	802
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	10434   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_MP_serif1.png
Views:	769
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	10435   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_MP_sans2.png
Views:	747
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	10436   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_MP_serif2.png
Views:	784
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	10437  
Attached Files
File Type: zip fontswitcher_1.2.zip (3.0 KB, 491 views)
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #20
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
thanks that worked - I've been waiting for a font change for mobipoclet for ages.

Some of you seem to be able to "see" the programme & OS files to edit them. How do you do this?
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #21
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One way is to open a SSH session from another computer. This is the most convenient method, because the other computer can have a bigger screen and a real keyboard.

The other way is to use mrxvt or emelFM2 (or any other program with a file viewer) on the iLiad itself. This approach is greatly helped by adding a USB keyboard, although the on-screen keyboard is usable for small tasks.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:57 PM   #22
wallcraft
reader

Does anyone know how Java (i.e. the MobiPocket Reader) handles fonts?

I would really like a bolder font for the Reader. The obvious choice is Arial Black, but that is an OpenType font. I have found URWGothicL-Demi.ttf works well in FBReader. I am currently installing it on the CF card, and I have not been able to get MobiPocket Reader to recognize this font. The screenshots are from Bitstream Vera Sans and URWGothicLDem in FBReader. Note that in FBReader, I could just select bold as the default - so there is less need for a heavy base font. I am using these screenshots as proxies for MobiPocket Reader, although I have not tried to replicate its margins and line spacing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_FBR_sans.png
Views:	520
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	10488   Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_FBR_gothic.png
Views:	529
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	10489  
Old 08-19-2008, 07:33 AM   #23
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Strange! I don't see a "mobipocket.param" in /home/intent/. Do you know why?

Anyway, I can change JVM font without it.

Last edited by ericshliao; 08-19-2008 at 10:51 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:19 AM   #24
Fermthe
Connoisseur
Fermthe began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-500/Iliad v2
fontswitcher

Great job thanks very much. Is there any way to put any kind of serif font that supports greek ?
Fermthe is offline   Reply With Quote