Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
Tables in an epub?

Folks,
I am in the middle of converting a pdf to an epub. The source includes several large tables (example .jpeg attached).

Currently, I'm just generating them as jpegs, but have been considering converting them to <table>s in the html. My strong intuition is that a table this wide in html isn't going to render in a sane way on any current ereader, and this isn't worth pursuing.

Are jpegs the best way to go with tables like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	table1.jpg
Views:	1366
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	111737  
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Almost always unless you can be sure they will be displayed on a large tablet. Even then somebody can increase the font size and blow up the table.

You might want to experiment with different types of images, gif, png, etc to see what gives you the best image for the least memory consumption. Probably not too big a deal if there are only a few of them.

HTML tables can be hard to center as well, without messing up the formatting inside the table.

Images are pretty easy to snapshot out of the pdf. Just make sure your viewer program snapshot is set to as good a resolution as you need.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. There are 4 of them. I'm probably going to just stick with jpegs.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
Thanks. There are 4 of them. I'm probably going to just stick with jpegs.
Use .gif images; they are better to display tables and similars.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Currently, I'm just generating them as jpegs, but have been considering converting them to <table>s in the html. My strong intuition is that a table this wide in html isn't going to render in a sane way on any current ereader, and this isn't worth pursuing.
  • Is this for personal usage?
    • If it is for personal usage, you can do whatever you want.
  • Is this aimed towards any specific devices?
    • Tablets/large devices you can be more lenient
    • If this is aimed towards ADE, you might have to work around ADE bugs, if it is aimed for only iBooks... etc. etc.
  • Is this being sold at Amazon/B&N/other stores?
  • Is this being sold from your personal site/store?
    • From your personal store, you can be more lenient.
  • Is this EPUB aimed towards copy/pastability?
    • Let us say someone wants to reference this table. You just made their life a million times easier if they can just copy it right out of the EPUB, instead of having to manually recreate it.
    • Let us say there was an actual error in the original book. A fix in HTML is WAY easier than a fix in an image.
  • Is this conversion aimed for a more ultimate goal? (HTML put on a website, looking towards future formats).

Also, if there are LOTS of images in the book, just keep in mind that all those images really start to add up in filesize. The equivalent HTML table will be MUCH smaller (and compress much better).

Depending on the design of the table, you may also want to swap the x and y axis to make it more "vertical" oriented, OR split the table into multiple tables.

The quickest way I have found to swapping (Transposing) an HTML table is getting all the information into a spreadsheet program (in my case, I use LibreOffice Calc), and following these steps:

https://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Ro...es_Transposing

Then I can easily export as XHTML and do some quick cleanup.

Quote:
Are jpegs the best way to go with tables like this?
No JPG! PNG in this case! I have an explanation/examples here (and a link to the program that I use to compress PNGs (ScriptPNG)):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=26

This is a pet peeve of mine.... lossless formats should be used when dealing with "artificial" images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Almost always unless you can be sure they will be displayed on a large tablet. Even then somebody can increase the font size and blow up the table.
Well at a certain point, all but the most very basic design decisions will be exploded due to extremely large font sizes. IF the reader has poor eyesight (or prefers reading in a certain font/size), an image of a table with very tiny font won't do any better.

Also, keep in mind readers who are blind. Images of tables are completely useless to them.

I prefer to have actual HTML images in the books, so that they scale with the rest of the text, and go along with all the other user preferences.

Quote:
You might want to experiment with different types of images, gif, png, etc to see what gives you the best image for the least memory consumption. Probably not too big a deal if there are only a few of them.
It is a HUGE deal! Down with JPG!!! Down with GIF too!

The equivalent PNG will ALWAYS be smaller than GIF (PNG has less overhead).

Quote:
Images are pretty easy to snapshot out of the pdf. Just make sure your viewer program snapshot is set to as good a resolution as you need.
Yes, and remember that high resolution images can always be scaled DOWN, but low resolution images cannot be scaled UP (without looking like complete garbage).

Another thing that irks me about images of tables is when they take a tiny thumbnail image of a table that is COMPLETELY unreadable.

Here is an example of a table I "verticalized" + some more JPG-PNG examples.

Original Page from the PDF:

Name:	SumnerPDF135.png
Views:	1498
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	111743

Here is an image of my "verticalized" HTML table in Sigil:

Name:	SigilTable135.png
Views:	1735
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	111748

JPG (Grayscale 90 + 80 quality):

Name:	pg135Table[90].jpg
Views:	811
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	111744Click image for larger version

Name:	pg135Table[80].jpg
Views:	811
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	111745

The filesize is 82.8 KB and 65.6 KB. The artifacting in the image will only get worse from there if you want to try to aim for a "reasonable" filesize.

PNG (Grayscale PNG saved right from GIMP + Compressed with ScriptPNG):

Name:	pg135Table[GIMP].png
Views:	749
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	111746Click image for larger version

Name:	pg135Table[ScriptPNG].png
Views:	749
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	111747

The filesize is 37.8 KB and 31.3 KB. These images have ZERO artifacting, and are less than half the size of those JPGs.

In the future, let us say an even better lossless filetype comes out, or an even better compression algorithm. These images can also be made even smaller with ZERO loss.

Here is the PDF:

http://library.mises.org/books/Willi...20Currency.pdf

and I have attached the actual WIP EPUB if you want to take a look.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 09-21-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post

It is a HUGE deal! Down with JPG!!! Down with GIF too!
I'm not agree with you; .gif images is -maybe- the best option. Of course, .jpg images is the worse election.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Section8
Addict

Tex2002ans,
Thanks for all the info. The pdf I am converted was downloaded from http://cybertracker.org. It was released under a creative commons license and I am converting it mainly for my own use, but might upload it to the MobileRead library.

In the original pdf, I think these tables are images (not searchable or selectable as text). After some googling around, I was able to use this service: http://www.extractpdf.com to extract all of the images. These tables and several diagrams came back as .pngs, and the photgraphs are jpegs. In all, 32 images & about 2.8 Mb total. I am going just use these pngs for the tables, after trying to shrink them with the tools you recommended
Old 09-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
I'm not agree with you; .gif images is -maybe- the best option. Of course, .jpg images is the worse election.
I just want to stress again... avoid JPG for artificial images (tables/charts/graphs)!!!

GIF is good, but PNG is great!

There are only 2.5 areas where GIF has an advantage over PNG:
  • Animation
    • Not relevant in ebooks
  • Very small icons with no transparency
  • (.5) Works in ancient browsers. (GIF was created in 1987, PNG in 1996)
    • There are potentially some very old ereaders that can't handle PNG
    • PNG is a part of the EPUB spec though, so these devices are most likely pre-EPUB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portab...ompared_to_GIF

For some lively discussion about the topic: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ges-gif-or-png

There is only one bug that you have to keep in mind with PNG images (only applicable to Kindles): Kindlegen cannot handle transparency in PNGs (converts transparency to a black background).

I have not stumbled upon one case of an artificial image (table, chart, diagram, figure) where GIF was better than PNG. PNG can handle every case where a GIF can be used, PLUS more.

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. The pdf I am converted was downloaded from http://cybertracker.org. It was released under a creative commons license and I am converting it mainly for my own use, but might upload it to the MobileRead library.
Fantastic!!!

The company that I work for, everything is CC3.0 (or public domain).

Most of my EPUB work is done OCRing PDFs of older book scans (Black & White), but I also help convert newer publications as well (so I deal with color charts/graphs/diagrams... and if I am lucky, I get the actual vector source (Those nice charts I had in my ScriptPNG post were generated from the vector files) ).

Quote:
In the original pdf, I think these tables are images (not searchable or selectable as text).
Well, when I run across these, I OCR them and convert them to their HTML equivalents (for the advantages stated above). It takes a nice chunk of time, but I see it as: I spend the time to convert it to HTML ONCE, and it will never have to be converted again.

I mean.. why would you want to lower the quality of your EPUB version because of someone making a bad decision when they exported the PDF? (exporting tables/charts/graphs as non-vector formats).

If the author is still alive, and this PDF was created recently (within the last few decades)... perhaps try to get in contact with the author himself. Perhaps he still has the source files sitting around, and you can generate higher quality tables!

Quote:
These tables and several diagrams came back as .pngs, and the photgraphs are jpegs.
Great great. Although sometimes you have to watch out, sometimes these PNGs went through a lossy conversion somewhere along the line. Once you go lossy, you can never go back!

Here is a real life example of the horrible conversion/JPG artifacting you might run into (and the HUGE filesize of JPG compared to PNG):

Original image was done by the author, and was probably generated by some sort of crappy PDF -> image conversion (800+ KB JPG). Artifacting left and right, and that filesize should make you gasp!!

Name:	pg209Original.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	858.0 KB
ID:	111779

I got the source document from the author, and was able to generate a PNG (42.9 KB)):

Name:	pg209PNG.png
Views:	708
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	111778

I must admit, it was a "lossy" PNG conversion since I Indexed it to 4 gray colors.

Grayscale JPG (90 quality) (257 KB):

Name:	pg209[90].jpg
Views:	640
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	111777

Grayscale JPG (80 quality) (203 KB):

Name:	pg209[80].jpg
Views:	635
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	111776

Artifacts between PNG + 90 JPG + 80 JPG:

Name:	ArtifactingFredPNG.png
Views:	653
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	111782Click image for larger version

Name:	ArtifactingFredJPG90.png
Views:	655
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	111781Click image for larger version

Name:	ArtifactingFredJPG80.png
Views:	614
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	111780

As you can see, the "halo"ing gets worse and worse the lower quality you go with JPG.

A GIF would look exactly like the PNG version (no haloing artifacts), BUT the GIF will have a larger filesize.

Anyway, this entire topic reminded me of this book with a very large Appendix FULL of tables. One of these days, I will go back and "verticalize" them.

PDF Scan:

Name:	OriginalPDF.png
Views:	761
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	111773

EPUB with Images of Tables:

Name:	ImageEPUB.png
Views:	1028
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	111772

EPUB with HTML Tables:

Name:	HTMLEPUB.png
Views:	1158
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	111771

The HTML table also has the advantage of footnotes being linked back/forth.

I can attach both versions of the EPUBs if anyone is interested.

EPUB with images: 1.41 MB
EPUB with HTML: 611 KB

Side Note: PDF is just about the WORST format to work backwards from.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 09-22-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:10 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
GIF is good, but PNG is great!
GIF is only okay-ish: No real alpha channel, only 256 colors. The later is not much relevant for grayscale images, but the former can make a difference when the page color is not white (or whatever background color the GIF was designed for).

Quote:
There are only 2.5 areas where GIF has an advantage over PNG:
  • Animation
    • Not relevant in ebooks
  • Very small icons with no transparency
  • (.5) Works in ancient browsers. (GIF was created in 1987, PNG in 1996)
    • There are potentially some very old ereaders that can't handle PNG
    • PNG is a part of the EPUB spec though, so these devices are most likely pre-EPUB.
GIF is also part of the ePub spec. You didn't say the opposite, but it may be worth mentioning.

The only advantage I see in GIF is that it is supported by the old Mobipocket format, whereas PNG is not... but if you are converting from ePub to Mobipocket, the converter will convert from PNG to GIF too.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The only advantage I see in GIF is that it is supported by the old Mobipocket format, whereas PNG is not... but if you are converting from ePub to Mobipocket, the converter will convert from PNG to GIF too.
... that or it will convert the PNG to a JPEG.

One BIG CAUTION with PNG. It is an extremely plastic format that has many many variants and options, many of which are poorly supported by a large number of apps. It also supports custom ancillary data. This later ability can result in massive PNGs depending on the tool used to create them and the save/export method and options chosen.

If you know your conversion tool's options and choose wisely, PNG can be an excellent option. It's not a magic format and the conversion tools won't automagically create the best flavor of PNG for your use. When using a tool like Adobe (nee Macromedia) Fireworks which uses PNG as its native format and using its "Save..." option yields a very poor PNG for use in ePubs or for direct web use. Always use and "Export ..." functions and choose the flavor of PNG (lossy compressed, lossless, 24bit RGB color, CMYK color, indexed color, ...) that is appropriate for the particular image and its use.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
If you want maximally optimised PNGs, the 1st step would be to run them trough Ken Silverman's PNGOUT http://advsys.net/ken/utils.htm

Then recompress them using the newest DEFLATE implementation: Zopfli. Use advancepng available in this package: http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/comp-download.html choose maximal compression level to use the Zopfli algorithm and set the i parameter to 1000.

SVGs can be recompressed with advzip using the same parameters because they are zipped XML containers.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
Quote:
Readers (or apps) should be improved, table appearance should be maintained(font size inside table should not be changed as text size)

On small screen, table and image should be allowed to zoom and move like on iBooks. (Kindle 3 already implemented.)

So that we need not use this lagging method of converting tables into images.

Even table can not be rendered correctly, how can we think ePub can be accepted widely?

Adobe, IDPF, you should do better!
eping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #13
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eping View Post
Even table can not be rendered correctly, how can we think ePub can be accepted widely?
Tables in epubs use to cause crashes on my device. I have to remove them by saving the text in Open Office Writer and applying the "table to text" feature. Manually, in order to maintain the other formattings. Then create an epub with writer2pub and do final cleaning up with Sigil.

That's lamentable, because ceators of ebooks put so much energy in formatting tables to achieve certain text features, but it's completely useless to me.

Whenever possible, keep it flat!
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote