Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-07-2020, 07:52 PM   #61
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
issybird, my tentative preference currently goes to: Tales of Tails: Birds or Beasts (pending expressions of dissatisfaction from others). I can think of several excellent books that I'd be tempted to nominate.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:29 AM   #62
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I shall stick with Over the hills and far away: Journeys for my theme this time round.
Good one, and I have several books in mind from travel books to explorer books, to SF. I can guess which you'd prefer.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2020, 01:14 AM   #63
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Good one, and I have several books in mind from travel books to explorer books, to SF. I can guess which you'd prefer.
Yes, you probably can! And then there are things like the journey through life, and as Catlady said, inner journeys too.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:25 AM   #64
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Any more input into the Rainbow theme? I don't like to impose my suggestion (although I'm fond of "chasing rainbows" in order to incorporate Charlie's preference for including the word "rainbow"! ).
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:33 AM   #65
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm pretty sure it's been suggested before, but I also thought of, "It's Greek to Me: Other Tongues" as I think we're rather in a rut regarding anglophone works.
Advert
Old 02-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #66
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm currently listed for the theme The Times They Are A-Changin': Revolution, but I still do like my other two suggestions--Down the Rabbit Hole: Tales of the Unexpected and You've Got to Be Carefully Taught (for which I don't have a second part, maybe Influence and Impact?).
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:09 PM   #67
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm pretty sure it's been suggested before, but I also thought of, "It's Greek to Me: Other Tongues" as I think we're rather in a rut regarding anglophone works.
I seem to remember an Other Tongues theme that finished up with Ursula Le Guin!
Old 02-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #68
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Any more input into the Rainbow theme? I don't like to impose my suggestion (although I'm fond of "chasing rainbows" in order to incorporate Charlie's preference for including the word "rainbow"! ).
I like keeping rainbow as well. It’s open to many different directions, whereas some of the other themes have a more focused scope.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:47 PM   #69
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm currently listed for the theme The Times They Are A-Changin': Revolution, but I still do like my other two suggestions--Down the Rabbit Hole: Tales of the Unexpected and You've Got to Be Carefully Taught (for which I don't have a second part, maybe Influence and Impact?).
Nothing's set yet and I'll be happy to swap in one of your other ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I seem to remember an Other Tongues theme that finished up with Ursula Le Guin!
Of course you're right. How embarrassing! I should have looked.

So much for that idea!
Old 02-08-2020, 07:55 PM   #70
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Oh, I think it's worth another try to see if we can get a non-English writer in translation this time.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:09 PM   #71
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
It would be nice to get a translated book. I thought the Collaboration theme was a good opportunity for it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:50 PM   #72
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
[...] You've Got to Be Carefully Taught (for which I don't have a second part, maybe Influence and Impact?).
The first part makes me think of the ungrammatical: That'll Learn Ya!

More thoughts: Should Know Better, Lessons Learned, As I Was Taught, Apprenticeship, Journeyman, Masterpiece*, Graduation. Or looking at your suggested second part, there is the ghastly modern term: Influencer.

I don't know if any of these help at all, just FWIW, which may be nothing.

* Intended here in its historical sense as the work of a journeyman to become a master of the craft, but with potential for wider interpretation in our themes.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:08 AM   #73
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Quote:
(Snip) ... You've Got to Be Carefully Taught (for which I don't have a second part, maybe Influence and Impact?).
I suppose the question is whether you want to have a topic of prejudice and racism, which of course the song title immediately suggests, or whether you want a broader theme of education, teachers and pupils, and so on. I think if you want it to be as open as possible, Influence and Impact covers it. Or what about Indoctrination? Originally it simply meant teaching, but over time it has evolved to its present meaning.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:23 AM   #74
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Well, there you go. I totally missed the song association for that phrase (have never been a fan of musicals).
Old 02-10-2020, 07:05 AM   #75
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

I'm not much into musicals either, but that's a famous song. I read somewhere that South Pacific won a Pulitzer Prize because of that song.