Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-25-2020, 01:27 PM   #28741
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I am still re-listening to The Lord of the Rings and I have read the last two volumes of Mizuki Shigeru's Showa: A History of Japan. I am now spending some time slow-reading my first Iris Murdoch - The Sea, The Sea.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:38 PM   #28742
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now I'm reading Asimov's SF magazine for March/April 2020.
Which was a good issue, as usual.

I forgot that I also read A Man’s Word by Martin Jensen. Another excellent murder mystery in the time of King Cnut

And now I'm reading Analog SF for March/April 2020
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:49 PM   #28743
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I have read the last two volumes of Mizuki Shigeru's Showa: A History of Japan.
I just, as in, this evening, finished the first volume of this. My first manga and it was fantastic.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #28744
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I just, as in, this evening, finished the first volume of this. My first manga and it was fantastic.
I am ECSTATIC about this! I speak Japanese and the way Western society markets Japan has made it so hard for gems like this to be taken seriously. Please PM me if you want to discuss!
Old 02-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #28745
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
I am ECSTATIC about this! I speak Japanese and the way Western society markets Japan has made it so hard for gems like this to be taken seriously. Please PM me if you want to discuss!
I've been considering reading The Tale of Genji. I checked your Goodreads account but only found, in your books read, a series of essays about the chunkster book. Is there a reason why you didn't read Genji?
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:56 AM   #28746
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I've been considering reading The Tale of Genji. I checked your Goodreads account but only found, in your books read, a series of essays about the chunkster book. Is there a reason why you didn't read Genji?
Oh, I've read it. Not added it on GR because they didn't have my Japanese edition. I strongly recommend reading it with a companion guide of some kind to aid with cultural and historical context.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:37 AM   #28747
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, I've read it. Not added it on GR because they didn't have my Japanese edition. I strongly recommend reading it with a companion guide of some kind to aid with cultural and historical context.
I've read some Japanese cultural coverage from Our Oriental Heritage. I hope that's preparation enough.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #28748
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I've read some Japanese cultural coverage from Our Oriental Heritage. I hope that's preparation enough.
Genji is very much its own world. The names can be a little confusing as they jump back and forth between formal names, nick names, and family names. I read the World of the Shining Prince to understand the government and societal structures at the time.

There is also a decent audio version of Librivox in English and one in Japanese.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #28749
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Genji is very much its own world. The names can be a little confusing as they jump back and forth between formal names, nick names, and family names. I read the World of the Shining Prince to understand the government and societal structures at the time.

There is also a decent audio version of Librivox in English and one in Japanese.
Thank you.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #28750
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You can add it yourself to GR and then go to the librarian forum and ask for it to be merged.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #28751
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can add it yourself to GR and then go to the librarian forum and ask for it to be merged.
Honestly not a priority for me. I know it can be done, but I don't really care to do Amazon's work for them. I have requested corrections before, though.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:46 AM   #28752
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And now I'm reading Analog SF for March/April 2020
Another excellent issue, although I'm saving the serial for when all parts are available in September.

And now I'm reading: Death at Bishop's Keep by Robin Paige. Another freebie, from the same publisher as a previous freebie. Looking good so far, although clearly edging towards romance as well as being a murder mystery. I just hope the murder mystery continues to hold at least an equal weight to the romance.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:10 AM   #28753
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Adventures of a Young Naturalist by David Attenborough. The 2017 republication of his accounts, from the 1950s, of three "Zoo Quest" expeditions. The black and white images embedded in the ebook don't show up very well on an e-reader, but I just looked at them on the PC - it's not essential that you have them as you read. This was very enjoyable to read. Both interesting and entertaining on several levels, Attenborough's distinctive voice shines through and makes it very easy reading. 4/5.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:48 AM   #28754
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
And now I'm reading: Death at Bishop's Keep by Robin Paige.
A most enjoyable murder mystery, with the romance kept in the background, clearly intending to let it simmer for a few novels. Which is fine by me. And I have the second as a freebie too!

Now I'm re-reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:26 AM   #28755
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
A most enjoyable murder mystery, with the romance kept in the background, clearly intending to let it simmer for a few novels. Which is fine by me. And I have the second as a freebie too!

Now I'm re-reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows are my two least favorite books in the series. But I did rate them 5 stars, of course