Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-27-2017, 01:05 PM   #1
CrossReach
CrossReach began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Can I Run Calibre on Two PCs and Somehow Sync Them?

Perhaps this has already been answered. My apologies.
CrossReach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #2
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
"rsync" would be good for that, if you're running Linux.

I believe there is a Cygwin setup for Windows that will run rsync, but I've never tried it.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2017, 12:30 AM   #3
rcrh
Enthusiast
rcrh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I run Calibre on two computers but share a data location that is on a OneDrive folder. It stays in sync for both computers.
rcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
CrossReach

But do you have to add the files on both Calibres for them to recognize them? Just putting files in my current location does not add them to the interface. I have to actually add them for the program to recognize them.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:57 PM   #5
jdcarpe
jdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watch

Device: K2, K3, PW3, KT3, PW3-32, PRS-650, NST, KA1
I copied my Calibre library to a new folder on my Dropbox (let Calibre copy the library when pointing it to the Dropbox folder). As long as I don’t have Calibre open on more than one computer at a time, it works great that way. I can use Calibre from any computer, and my library stays intact and up to date with any changes I make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdcarpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcarpe View Post
I copied my Calibre library to a new folder on my Dropbox (let Calibre copy the library when pointing it to the Dropbox folder). As long as I don’t have Calibre open on more than one computer at a time, it works great that way. I can use Calibre from any computer, and my library stays intact and up to date with any changes I make.
You will have to take into account that calibre is not a multi-user program, so you will have to make sure only one instance of calibre is accessing this library. So, don't forget to close the program when you're done with it, or you might find some files are locked when you're working on another computer. This could damage your database (make it inconsistent with the actual files in the calibre library).
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
You will have to take into account that calibre is not a multi-user program, so you will have to make sure only one instance of calibre is accessing this library. So, don't forget to close the program when you're done with it, or you might find some files are locked when you're working on another computer. This could damage your database (make it inconsistent with the actual files in the calibre library).
I'd also suggest to make sure you sync after each and every usage, whichever the computer. I personally don't run Dropbox all the time (you shouldn't have Calibre open and running while your Dropbox is syncing, for example). So if I were doing this, I'd need to make sure I synced my Dropbox before switching to the other computer.

Back in the PDA days, I remember when you could actively sync independent actions on the PDA, but you could end up with "expected results". I don't even know if Dropbox offers that option.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'd also suggest to make sure you sync after each and every usage, whichever the computer. I personally don't run Dropbox all the time (you shouldn't have Calibre open and running while your Dropbox is syncing, for example). So if I were doing this, I'd need to make sure I synced my Dropbox before switching to the other computer.

Back in the PDA days, I remember when you could actively sync independent actions on the PDA, but you could end up with "expected results". I don't even know if Dropbox offers that option.
Absolutely. or you will end up with a snarled Library.
{ID} for one.
If the laptop user adds a book, the next (local) ID is assigned
If the desktop user adds a book BEFORE SYNC, the same ID will be assigned to a totally different book.
THEN
when a sync happens ONE of the Libraries metadata.db gets copied over.
Both (author/)title folders get exchanged.
The problem, is the DB now only knows about one of those (sync sequence rules prevail) you have orphaned one of the books folders.

Change an Author or Title on one computer and do something else on the other, and again, the DB gets snarled.

only ever change/add stuff on 1 computer (a 1 way sync to the slave)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #9
CrossReach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
That's my problem right now. There's two of us working side by side on a project and we'll both be updating and converting Word files to epub, as Calibre is the best program out there for converting epubs that we have found. But maybe my plan will not work then.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossReach View Post
That's my problem right now. There's two of us working side by side on a project and we'll both be updating and converting Word files to epub, as Calibre is the best program out there for converting epubs that we have found. But maybe my plan will not work then.
You just need to use a different Work flow (and possibly 3 PC's. Work 1, work 2 and Master )
Start with a 'work Library. the one that holds those to be processed.

A completed document is transferred to the Master PC, ( drop A COPY into the AutoAdd folder) then added to the Master Library.

As books get done, just tag them Done on both Work PC's
No sync required.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #11
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Sounds like theDucks' proposed 3 machine workflow is the only functional answer. Each user has their own calibre and maintains their own library for the work they're doing. When they finish a book, they export it, using calibre's Save to Disk function, targeting a network shared folder on the third machine.

The 3rd machine run's its own calibre 24/7 and has the shared network folder as a watch folder (set in Prefs>Adding Books). This copy of calibre will then automatically move the books from the watch folder to its library. Since importing is not processor/memory intensive to any great degree and since this machine has no other "chore" other than to offer the network shared folder, it doesn't need to be a particularly powerful machine. Even if imports are somewhat slow it doesn't matter since no user is waiting for it to fininsh.

This way, each user's calibre is isolated from the "master" calibre. Each worker has their own library or libraries; perhaps one for "waiting in the queue", one for "in progress" and one for "done at exported to the master".
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
With that setup, each worker computer has to sync its library with the master on occasion of course, so calibre needs to be closed there from time to time. (Obviously only if the worker computers need the complete library; if they are only used to edit and upload books, then no sync needs to be done.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #13
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Sounds like you might need a "source code control" system. Those are designed to either 1) only allow one user to edit something at a time, or 2) allow concurrent editing and then intelligently merge the two edits. Each user could have their local copy of Calibre to assist in the editing process. But the actual "database" is the source code control system. You could even have a "master Calibre" drawing the most recent committed version of a file to display in its library. You could even get by with the ancient, but simple, RCS or SCCS system, if you don't need concurrent editing.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:49 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
. . . two of us working side by side on a project and we'll both be updating and converting Word files to epub . . .
When we had up to three of us doing similar, we used shared folders to implement in/out baskets. I'd allocate the work by sending inputs to my colleagues' 'in basket' folders.

We each had a local working calibre library in which we converted, edited etc. When an editor finished a book he/she put a copy of the book folder into an editor specific shared folder (e.g. fromJohn) on my machine, and then they updated #bookstatus from 'WIP' to 'Finished' on their machine.

At the end of the day, I would add the books in the editors' finished book folders (fromJohn, fromSatya) to a 'master' library, empty the editors' finished book folders and back it the 'master' library.

If anything needed exceptional treatment then that's what it got it.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-03-2017 at 12:10 AM. Reason: clarity
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote