Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Adjusting Cover Size

I'm trying to get the cover of Scott Siglers' The All-Pro to fill the entire screen on my Nook Color.

Converting with Calibre really screws up the book as far as page numbers go...for instance the entire 13 week regular season in this book is ALL on page 106 out of 124 pages, when the book itself should read 455 pages or so.

It's nit-picky, but hey, I want to learn how to do this anyway lol.

Now I've looked at the code, and it's different that the "svg" tags, the cover is actually in there with a <p class> type of tag.

Anyway to resize with that?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I always put the covers in a SVG wrapper with the correct image and viewbox size and put the width and height to 100%. Works every time.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I use the svg wrapper it deletes the image for some reason
Old 12-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What code do you use?
Old 12-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard

I figured it out, this used a CSS file for the image handling for the cover, dug a bit deeper into the coding...I swear it should have been easier than this LOL

in the CSS there was a :

Code:
img#coverimage {
  padding: 0;
  margin: 0;
}
I just added a line that said "width: 100%;" and that did the trick.
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard

I spoke too soon, while it's adjusted in Sigil when you open it, it's NOT adjusted in Calibre when you view it.

EDIT: Nevermind, added "Height: 100%;" to the file and it'll view okay

Last edited by jhempel24; 12-28-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
rrand123
rrand123 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Similar problem with calibre / sigil for kindle mobi file

Hello
- this is my first post so if I've missed something obvious please excuse me!

I am making a non-copyright ebook for somebody using Sigil which I will then convert to mobi using Calibre - I've done this before.

I know that according to KDP Amazon don't recommend that you have the cover as the first page when making a book. Inspite of this it's something I'm trying to do!

I have found the code which needs to be inserted in the 'guide' part of the opf. file in Sigil - this is for having the preface as first page but is easily amended to cover:

<reference href="cover.html" type="cover" title="Cover">
<reference type="toc" title="toc" href="toc.html" >
<reference type="start" title="Preface" href="Preface.html" >

This works ok - but for some reason the cover image (600px x 800 px added to Sigil file) shows with a large white border when viewed on the Kindle

Sorry it's a long-winded post,

Please make any explanations very simple - I'm not very bright!

Thank you,

Robert

PS - I've seen this - but am not sure where the coding should be put and which prog. /file.?

img#coverimage {
}
rrand123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrand123 View Post
Hello
- this is my first post so if I've missed something obvious please excuse me!

I am making a non-copyright ebook for somebody using Sigil which I will then convert to mobi using Calibre - I've done this before.

I know that according to KDP Amazon don't recommend that you have the cover as the first page when making a book. Inspite of this it's something I'm trying to do!

I have found the code which needs to be inserted in the 'guide' part of the opf. file in Sigil - this is for having the preface as first page but is easily amended to cover:

<reference href="cover.html" type="cover" title="Cover">
<reference type="toc" title="toc" href="toc.html" >
<reference type="start" title="Preface" href="Preface.html" >

This works ok - but for some reason the cover image (600px x 800 px added to Sigil file) shows with a large white border when viewed on the Kindle

Sorry it's a long-winded post,

Please make any explanations very simple - I'm not very bright!

Thank you,

Robert

PS - I've seen this - but am not sure where the coding should be put and which prog. /file.?

img#coverimage {
}
It may be simpler (not verified)
Assumes each of those sections are separate pages (files)

In the Book Browser: right-click the filename for the section. select 'Add semantics'

(I hope you can figure it out from here )
Save when all done
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
rrand123

Thank you,
I'd already given that a try but it doesn't seem to help.
Robert
Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I spoke too soon, while it's adjusted in Sigil when you open it, it's NOT adjusted in Calibre when you view it.

EDIT: Nevermind, added "Height: 100%;" to the file and it'll view okay
If you add both 'widht: 100%' and 'height: 100%' you will probably end up with having the aspect ratio distorted.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:11 AM   #11
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
If you add both 'widht: 100%' and 'height: 100%' you will probably end up with having the aspect ratio distorted.
If you add both to an img it will not distort - iirc it will try to fit to height only. If you do it via svg, you will end up breaking the AR (assuming you provide the x/y and image size).

Personally I just use height:100%; on a centered image without the svg. (and no padding/margins on anything)
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:16 AM   #12
jhempel24
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Nope, it will not.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #13
rrand123

Thank you

for trying to help me - it's much appreciated.
Robert
Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
If you add both to an img it will not distort - iirc it will try to fit to height only. If you do it via svg, you will end up breaking the AR (assuming you provide the x/y and image size).

Personally I just use height:100%; on a centered image without the svg. (and no padding/margins on anything)
For SVG the aspect ratio is easily preserved with the attribute 'preserveAspectRatio', so no problem there.

If setting both the image width and height to 100% does not give problems, fine. I was mistaken with a hard setting in pt.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
rrand123

Time for me to show my ignorance

What's an SVG - and how do I use it for the cover?
I think it's some sort of graphic. For the cover I'm currently using a Jpeg (600 x 800) compressed for web to reduce file size. Should I be doing something different to get the cover to work?

Thank you,

Robert