Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #46
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
The easy solution is to stay away from Amazon's spy gadgets altogether — unless this "Sidewalk" privacy invasion can also access non-Amazon products.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:14 PM   #47
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You do realize that it's not making wifi available to others; it's actually just allowing certain Amazon devices to inter-connect via Bluetooth or other non-wifi protocols so that IoT functionality (Tile devices, Doorbells etc) to continue functioning if their native wifi connection fails.

It's not allowing someone to surf the net via your Internet connection.
One thing to ask users to opt-in. Totally different when opting them in without asking.
Advert
Old 06-04-2021, 08:14 PM   #48
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm more worried about Amazon saying it might share Sidewalk information with 3rd party developers. Shall I say Amazon's record at protecting private data is not overly inspiring.
Exactly.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:16 PM   #49
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's an account setting. Turning Sidewalk off in your Alexa app on one device will disable it for any device registered to that account.
Unless they decide to turn it back on.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:29 PM   #50
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Oh for gods sake. My point was there's no need to turn it off in multiple places to disable it. The same would apply even if they did "decide to turn it back on." Disabling it again would only need to be done from one device's Alexa app.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-04-2021 at 08:34 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2021, 09:08 PM   #51
Raptwithal
Connoisseur
Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle now; changing soon...
My ignorance amazes even me, but I'll ask anyway. Is an Amazon-branded ereader device (kindle or whatever) associated with the sidewalk software in any way?
Raptwithal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:17 PM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptwithal View Post
My ignorance amazes even me, but I'll ask anyway. Is an Amazon-branded ereader device (kindle or whatever) associated with the sidewalk software in any way?
No - see post 26 for a list of devices affected.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:34 PM   #53
Raptwithal
Connoisseur
Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle now; changing soon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
No - see post 26 for a list of devices affected.
Oy, missed it, but good to know.

If I were to ask anything else, it would be why the 'kindle family devices' are not like the sidewalk devices (and is it because kindle devices can work -- with limitations -- without internet access). Just a curiosity.
Raptwithal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:05 PM   #54
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Oh for gods sake. My point was there's no need to turn it off in multiple places to disable it. The same would apply even if they did "decide to turn it back on." Disabling it again would only need to be done from one device's Alexa app.
Provided you knew they turned it back on. And providing that turning it off actually turns it off. And providing they continue to give you the option to opt-out in the future. I don't have a lot of faith in corporations on privacy issues. When it comes to making money they don't seem to have a lot in the way of scruples.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:44 PM   #55
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Well this is strange

After receiving an email from Amazon regarding Sidewalk some weeks ago, I immediately followed their instructions for disabling the feature and that was that. However, I checked today and where there was previously "Amazon Sidewalk" listed in my settings it had vanished. Gone. So I updated the app (Android) to the lastest version and magically "Amazon Sidewalk" has reappeared in settings. Happily, it was still disabled as I had originally set it.

Very strange.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:59 PM   #56
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You do realize that it's not making wifi available to others; it's actually just allowing certain Amazon devices to inter-connect via Bluetooth or other non-wifi protocols so that IoT functionality (Tile devices, Doorbells etc) to continue functioning if their native wifi connection fails.

It's not allowing someone to surf the net via your Internet connection.
Xfinity does something similar (share a fraction of WiFi with others) and in that case it does allow someone to surf the net via my internet connection. I've not disabled it and have never seen an impact on my internet speeds.

On its face, it sounds bad. There was all sorts of consternation when it was announced. But in practice it has negligible impact and on a couple of occasions has been a benefit to me.

Amazon Sidewalk sounds very similar, but even safer than the Xfinity deal. Maybe making it an opt out was a little sleazy. I'd wager that if it were an opt in, very few people would sign up for it. But in practice, I'm guessing there will be no real world impact on people's lives.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:40 PM   #57
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Maybe making it an opt out was a little sleazy. I'd wager that if it were an opt in, very few people would sign up for it.
And that would kill the program.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:46 AM   #58
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I'm guessing you're right. And if your customers don't like your "feature" enough to want to use it, maybe you shouldn't force it on them.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:47 PM   #59
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm guessing you're right. And if your customers don't like your "feature" enough to want to use it, maybe you shouldn't force it on them.
Or you know that your customer will fundamentally misunderstand what the program is and will knee-jerk opt-out.

I'd be wiling to bet that Echo users who don't opt out and become Sidewalk 'hosts' or whatever the term is won't notice any difference at all.

In general, I'm not an Amazon booster. I don't have a Kindle, I hated the cheap Fire tablet I bought and I prefer Google's Home speakers to the Echo.

But I can't get too bent out of shape about Sidewalk. If Google did something similar with my Google tech, I wouldn't opt out.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:42 PM   #60
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop
Maybe making it an opt out was a little sleazy. I'd wager that if it were an opt in, very few people would sign up for it.
Quote:

Which is as it should be. Opt-out is not "a little sleazy", it's VERY sleazy, indefensible and should be automatically illegal. ANY data-gathering ploy like this is should only be allowed as opt-in. It's very hard for anyone to claim they're supporting users' freedom of choice if they defend a program that does not actually give users the choice to use it, but instead forces them to actively choose not to.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote