Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
leeper
Enthusiast
leeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: nook
NOOK HD Detected but General Com Error

Using OS 10.9.4 and Calibre 2.0 my NOOK HD is detected and mounted. I see the device and Card A icons and spinning job but it crashes with the following.
calibre, version 2.0.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to upload file named: driveinfo.calibre to (u'SD Card',): 2:PTP Layer error 2002: send_file_object_info(): Could not send object info.
2:Error 2002: PTP: General Error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 490, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 208, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 180, in get_driveinfo
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 170, in _update_drive_info
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/base.py", line 24, in synchronizer
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/unix/driver.py", line 375, in put_file
DeviceError: Failed to upload file named: driveinfo.calibre to (u'SD Card',): 2:PTP Layer error 2002: send_file_object_info(): Could not send object info.
leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is an error trying to write to the SD card in your Nook. Try reformatting your SD card (pull it out of the nook and use an SD card reader).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
leeper
Enthusiast
leeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texanleeper might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That is an error trying to write to the SD card in your Nook. Try reformatting your SD card (pull it out of the nook and use an SD card reader).
Did that but got same error. Tried just mounting the Nook without the card and got the following:

calibre, version 2.0.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to create folder named Books in (u'Internal Storage',) with error: 2:PTP Layer error 2002: LIBMTP_Create_Folder: Could not send object info.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 571, in _upload_books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 417, in upload_books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 393, in ensure_parent
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/base.py", line 24, in synchronizer
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/unix/driver.py", line 352, in create_folder
DeviceError: Failed to create folder named Books in (u'Internal Storage',) with error: 2:PTP Layer error 2002: LIBMTP_Create_Folder: Could not send object info.

Am also getting some strange screen activity, the search function gets executed in Calibre without me doing anything, just running my cursor I guess.

Ok so the books ARE being copied to the Device, not the card, but they are NOT showing in Calibre.

Last edited by leeper; 08-23-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: added additional info
Old 08-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
PTP in the error message? (IIRC PTP is the Photo Protocol)

MTP is the 'normal' (media) protocol
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Those are all errors trying to send files to your device, inside libmtp. Reset your device and try a different USB cable/port.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
leeper
Enthusiast

Quote:
Those are all errors trying to send files to your device, inside libmtp. Reset your device and try a different USB cable/port.

OK I will try all that but for now the books are copying into the main internal storage of the NOOK, they just dont show in Calibre when I select the device. It's strange but the copying will not take place if the SD card is not inserted.

Thank you for responding so quickly tho!! I appreciate it and your wonderful program as does my family.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
leeper
Enthusiast

Quote:
well I tried all that but am still getting same comm errors. I even tried it on a different mac running calibre, my backup library, and got the same errors. but again, I was able to copy all the books I needed onto the main internal library of the nook, I just cant see them in calibre.

Another issue that I dont understand tho is that on my Imac running OS Mavericks and Calibre 2.0 it keeps going into search mode and automatically chooses the first search argument I have stored and displays the findings. very annoying. I think I will start with downloading a new copy of calibre and installing that.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeper View Post
well I tried all that but am still getting same comm errors. I even tried it on a different mac running calibre, my backup library, and got the same errors. but again, I was able to copy all the books I needed onto the main internal library of the nook, I just cant see them in calibre.

Another issue that I dont understand tho is that on my Imac running OS Mavericks and Calibre 2.0 it keeps going into search mode and automatically chooses the first search argument I have stored and displays the findings. very annoying. I think I will start with downloading a new copy of calibre and installing that.
The Nook HD operating system uses MTP for file transfer. I suggest you change your transfer setting to MTP and try again. In the settings menu, tap STORAGE. Tap the expanded menu (three dots) and select USB Connection. Check the MTP box. Press the home key to exit then try connecting to Calibre.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:21 AM   #9
leeper
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
The Nook HD operating system uses MTP for file transfer. I suggest you change your transfer setting to MTP and try again. In the settings menu, tap STORAGE. Tap the expanded menu (three dots) and select USB Connection. Check the MTP box. Press the home key to exit then try connecting to Calibre.

bernie
Thanks Bernie but the NOOK has been set up for MTP thru all of the above. Calibre detects my nook, mounts it and the sd card but immediately gives me the comm error on the card. I can however send books to the device using the send button, they just dont appear on the calibre device screen. I can never send to the card and if I remove the card and remount i get a comm error on the nook and can no longer send books to it. I have reset, reloaded, rebooted all to no avail.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #10
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeper View Post
Thanks Bernie but the NOOK has been set up for MTP thru all of the above. Calibre detects my nook, mounts it and the sd card but immediately gives me the comm error on the card. I can however send books to the device using the send button, they just dont appear on the calibre device screen. I can never send to the card and if I remove the card and remount i get a comm error on the nook and can no longer send books to it. I have reset, reloaded, rebooted all to no avail.
You should toggle your nook between PTP and MTP, make sure that it is in MTP then connect to calibre.

luck
bernie

P.S.
If you can do a complete shutdown and reboot of your nook.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
leeper
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
You should toggle your nook between PTP and MTP, make sure that it is in MTP then connect to calibre.

luck
bernie

P.S.
If you can do a complete shutdown and reboot of your nook.
I'm still in the same spot so considering i've tried nearly everything im faced with either completely re creating my nook hd, living with calibre as it now stands, or buying a new tablet. I guess if no one else is experiencing this issue it MUST be my nook. I do appreciate the fact that KG and company made the modifications to allow MAC users to mount their readers again on their macs! And an aside, seems my library loads MUCH faster in 2.0!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
leeper
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=leeper;2905611]I'm still in the same spot so considering i've tried nearly everything im faced with either completely re creating my nook hd, living with calibre as it now stands, or buying a new tablet. I guess if no one else is experiencing this issue it MUST be my nook. QUOTE]

Ok made some progress. The NOOK HD is detected and mounts without error. The books stored in the device are recognized and display in the device winow of calibre along with the check mark in the main window. The books do NOT show cover's although they are present in the Nook and trying to display info from the book via the calibre screen gets an error. I can send to device and delete etc. When I read the book from the device via calibre I see the cover. I can't get the SD card to work at all, still get the com error no matter what I do and I have reformatted it numerous times and ways. I can live with all of this however as I find the calibre interface so much easier to maintain my library on the NOOK as opposed to the android app.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #13
leeper
Enthusiast

getting worse

ok so release 2.1 set me back a bit, devices mount but give error. I can still send books to device but no longer can remove books from device as they do not show up. release 2.2 has taken that away, my nook hd is no longer mounted so I can do nothing. Using WIFI I get frequent unsuccessful error and then a completion. very frustrating. anyone suggest anything? Im even willing to replace the HD with the Galaxy or an iPad if anyone can assure me both work well with calibre 2.x.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try going back to Calibre 1.48 where you knew it was working and try again. if it is working, then maybe it's something in Qt5. I don't really know. But try to go back to where it was working and see where it fails. Go from what's working to what doesn't work and then report that.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #15
leeper
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try going back to Calibre 1.48 where you knew it was working and try again. if it is working, then maybe it's something in Qt5. I don't really know. But try to go back to where it was working and see where it fails. Go from what's working to what doesn't work and then report that.
last time it worked was in os lion i think, before Apple did away with MTP and borke Calibre. I ws forced to start using the android app which was ok if clumsy. I was excited to hear that Calibre had included MPT in 2.O but I have been having trouble since. but thanks for answering.