Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
What do you think of this one?

It's for general fiction. Thanks.

Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This doesn't look deadly at all, to me.

It just looks like someone sleeping on a bed and wearing a black T-shirt with blue designs.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
My first reaction was: horror genre, looks too spooky for me. Doesn't look like general fiction at all.

Is it horror? The title also gives that impression.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Once again you don't want my opinion.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The author name should be where the title is and the title should be where the author name is. As for the girl, she looks like she's sleeping peacefully. She should look like she's having a nightmare.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I think some someone's holding the book upside-down. Which means I agree with JSWolf, the title and author should be switched ... but I'm not sure that is actually going to help. People are not good with faces when the orientation is wrong, so I suspect you may find many people have a problem with this one.

And like the others above, I can't say that this looks like general fiction to me. It's not quite horror ... maybe murder mystery. The cover combined with the title exacerbates this impression.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:42 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Here's a TYPE of image you might wish to think about using, although this one goes into (perhaps) general horror.

Hint: Turn it upside down.

Go here for more information:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...right-way.html

Generally, I think using the face of an actual person on a cover should be avoided - for all the obvious reasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image of someone named Adelel.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	159670  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-28-2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: 'mage' to 'image'
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This doesn't look deadly at all, to me.

It just looks like someone sleeping on a bed and wearing a black T-shirt with blue designs.
Thanks Dr. I just thought the overall darkness and her being upside-down, along with the title, negated the just looking like a person sleeping.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
My first reaction was: horror genre, looks too spooky for me. Doesn't look like general fiction at all.

Is it horror? The title also gives that impression.
Thanks BookCat. Yeah, it's a pretty scary story but not quite horror. I really didln't know what to call it genre-wise.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Once again you don't want my opinion.
Ah, Cin, always want your opinion.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The author name should be where the title is and the title should be where the author name is. As for the girl, she looks like she's sleeping peacefully. She should look like she's having a nightmare.
Thanks Jon. Yeah I thought of flipping the title and my name but I thought with her image being upside down maybe I'd be doing something unconventional with the title and the name being flipped.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I think some someone's holding the book upside-down. Which means I agree with JSWolf, the title and author should be switched ... but I'm not sure that is actually going to help. People are not good with faces when the orientation is wrong, so I suspect you may find many people have a problem with this one.

And like the others above, I can't say that this looks like general fiction to me. It's not quite horror ... maybe murder mystery. The cover combined with the title exacerbates this impression.
Thanks gmw. Yeah, I think you nailed it. It's genre is "not quite horror." I hear two different schools of thought on faces: some love them, some hate them. I tend to like them.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #13
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Here's a TYPE of mage you might wish to think about using, although this one goes into (perhaps) general horror.

Hint: Turn it upside down.

Go here for more information:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...right-way.html

Generally, I think using the face of an actual person on a cover should be avoided - for all the obvious reasons.
Thanks Dr. Yeah, that Adele thing is Dali-esque. Too creepy for me.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Ah, Cin, always want your opinion.
I was trying not to hurt your feelings.
It did not appeal to me at all.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:40 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks BookCat. Yeah, it's a pretty scary story but not quite horror. I really didln't know what to call it genre-wise.
Maybe more of the Thriller genre? From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Thriller is a broad genre of literature, film and television, having numerous, often overlapping subgenres. Thrillers are characterized and defined by the moods they elicit, giving viewers heightened feelings of suspense, excitement, surprise, anticipation and anxiety.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote